The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
after 5000 miles mine was only a quart low????

Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I went in for my last OC test. at 1400 miles they said I was 1.5 quarts low. I don't know but its hard to believe that because I was 3/4 low on the mesh part of the dip-stick. I really hope that I don't have to get in a drawn out argument with them. They did figure out that I had a aftermarket clutch in there but dind't seem phased by it. As far the dealer has been very helpful (and got a new transmission for no reason what-so-ever) but now it is in the hands of corporate. I really hope the dealer will back me up with this so I don't have to be a complete dick to corporate. Any ideas as to how to deal with corporate if any issues arise? I only ask because the dealer has helped me out but the levels of consuption that they reported seemed a bit higher than what the dip stick showed so its putting me in the "gray area" for getting a new long block. Thanks guys!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think there is any "gray area" about a quart and a half in 1400 miles

Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by BlackIris210
Well I went in for my last OC test. at 1400 miles they said I was 1.5 quarts low. I don't know but its hard to believe that because I was 3/4 low on the mesh part of the dip-stick. I really hope that I don't have to get in a drawn out argument with them......
That's truely a 180 in what dealers usually say level is at compared to customer.
Don't understand the arguement/concern unless I'm reading that wrong.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
That's truely a 180 in what dealers usually say level is at compared to customer.
Don't understand the arguement/concern unless I'm reading that wrong.
you're probably reading wrong :P

Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
6MT Coupe
^ lol Yup you're right

Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh yeah. I can see how that could be mis-read. All I was trying to say was that my observation (obviously "amature") and their "reading" didn't seem to coincide. Thats all. Hey, either way, as long as there is no room for argument from corporate, I will be happy. How long did you have to wait until you heard from corporate about the new motor? Any suggestions as to how to deal with them if I needed to? Thanks guys!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM
6MT Coupe
^ No worries, just having a little fun.

They said you qualify yes? After my dealer said I did, I got a call from them next day saying Corp approved replacement. Took ~3 days to get everything to my dealer and be ready.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 AM
All my dealer said to me was that they sent the paperwork into corporate and are waiting to hear back from them. They did not say anything about qualifying, but they said now its up to corporate and I haven't heard anything back yet....but its only been 2 days. SHould I call the dealer and probe them a bit?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 AM
All my dealer said to me was that they sent the paperwork into corporate and are waiting to hear back from them. They did not say anything about qualifying, but they said now its up to corporate and I haven't heard anything back yet....but its only been 2 days. SHould I call the dealer and probe them a bit?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Like I said in my case, took me one day to hear and in all fairness, surprised how soon. But remembering what dealer said to me, it could take ~2 days maybe 3 for verbal approval to them from Corp. Guess I was lucky with it only taking one.

Maybe wait until end of this week to inquire with dealer and/or Infiniti customer care on status. Guess it wouldn't hurt to probe now or could wait. Up to you.

G/L with everything and keep us posted.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 06-18-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added...keep us posted
Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 AM
All right! Well I called my guy today down at the dealer.

THey have my transmission in, so thats one piece of good news.

I also asked if they had heard back from corporate and they had said no. THey said it would " probably take a few weeks" for them to hear back from them (which is a complete different story than you V35 Skyline GT).

I also asked quietly what the likelyhood was that they were going to do a long block swap out. He said that though there are no gurantees and it is not concrete but the case seems "pretty clear-cut," which is somewhat a positive sign and gives me a sense of relief. That tells me that they actually want to do the work, which is a big plus when you don't have to fight a constant uphill battle. In anycase, that is the update!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by BlackIris210
All right! Well I called my guy today down at the dealer.

THey have my transmission in, so thats one piece of good news.

I also asked if they had heard back from corporate and they had said no. THey said it would " probably take a few weeks" for them to hear back from them (which is a complete different story than you V35 Skyline GT).

I also asked quietly what the likelyhood was that they were going to do a long block swap out. He said that though there are no gurantees and it is not concrete but the case seems "pretty clear-cut," which is somewhat a positive sign and gives me a sense of relief. That tells me that they actually want to do the work, which is a big plus when you don't have to fight a constant uphill battle. In anycase, that is the update!
That sems like a long time. Just guessing here, but maybe b/c your getting a tranny too. IDK. Give Infiniti Customer Care a ring and inquire why so long to get approved for VQ. Pre TSB they did short blocks depending on situation. TSB specs bare long blocks now no questions asked.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For those of you who had their long blocks replaced did all of you have all the service records?.. oil changes etc.. Does the dealer accept diy oil changes? =f you have the copies of the oil purchases.. etc..

Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by drive4fun
For those of you who had their long blocks replaced did all of you have all the service records?.. oil changes etc.. Does the dealer accept diy oil changes? =f you have the copies of the oil purchases.. etc..
I had mine...if you are missing any - you might want to try some small-shop owner friends to help you "find" those you're missing as well. I also had an Excel spreadsheet itemizing when I had the maintenance done (date, mileage, service, shop) for the life of my vehicle - the dates/mileage on the receipts (which can be as simple as Quickbooks invoices) should match this log. As long as you show that you've not "neglected" your G by not following factory-recommended intervals, they really can't say no.

The dealership cares more that you have the documentation so they have their bases covered. If they approve the new engine and corporate decides to check up to see that they've gotten the docs, you can see how they are at risk if nothing is on file. So you're best bet is to take something in after doing your homework and get creative if necessary. I think the dealer's job is not to question the validity of the documentation rather to make sure they've collected it from you to protect themselves.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!