The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by J. Dub
Sweet baby Jesus, that was alot of reading. Essentially I've decided to talk myself out of a 6-spd. I figure with all the city driving I do plus the OC issues not being as bad with AT's (which makes sense considering not alot of people I know rev the hell out of their AT's) I'm most likely going to take the plunge on an 05 Black G35 coupe AT, prem, Nav, ect... I'm lookin at on autotrader.com

Thanks V35 Skyline for all your posts. Keep us informed. I'll be watching my oil consumption closely once I take delivery of the auto G35.
Wow...you read this whole thread lol...damn!
Here's another one if you want when Infiniti finally released their TSB on these rev-ups.
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ption-tsb.html

Well anyway, hey no problem and sorry I missed you're post somehow. Thanx for the recognition. I've been involved with this crap for very long time on many other forums + long time here about this issue. It's been my life

You should be okay, or have much better chance no OC with a 05 auto b/c that VQ is not the rev-up series, but have heard of some non rev-ups go bad. So as you said, keep an eye out until you know no issues. Then enjoy if it's all good after knowing no OC

Just got back from a long trip and my V2 is doing better from last consumption update. Still some OC it seems, but better than during fresh break-in miles. I'll update when I hit that 2K since my last oil change. It's getting close to that mileage mark, then I'll update my sig.
Originally Posted by rhampar
Seems like these oil consumption issues are on pre 2007 engines. Is this correct? I just purchased a later built 08 G35x and hoping I don't have this problem.

Thanks
You have the new generation VQ and I haven't heard/read about OC on those, but I don't troll in the VQ35HR or G37 sections so not sure. You may want to research/search those areas here and on other forums to be sure.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 08-14-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added other OC thread link
Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
04 G35x At

I am new to this this thread and just purchased an 04 G35X AT Sedan. Car has 27K miles and I believe has about 2 months left on the full warranty and 26 months left on the drivetrain and transmission. I have noticed a few times lately that some blue looking smoke comes out of the left tailpipe. I then checked my oil and noticed it looked pretty low. Does this sound like I am having the OC problem? I have an appointment at Infiniti of Charlotte on Saturday the 30th. Any recommendations on what to tell them or the what the problem could be?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by rjk6282
I am new to this this thread and just purchased an 04 G35X AT Sedan. Car has 27K miles and I believe has about 2 months left on the full warranty and 26 months left on the drivetrain and transmission. I have noticed a few times lately that some blue looking smoke comes out of the left tailpipe. I then checked my oil and noticed it looked pretty low. Does this sound like I am having the OC problem? I have an appointment at Infiniti of Charlotte on Saturday the 30th. Any recommendations on what to tell them or the what the problem could be?
Blue smoke = burning oil.

Have them start an oil consumption test.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Blue smoke = burning oil.

Have them start an oil consumption test.
Thanks for the fast reply. I will request it when I go in on Saturday.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by rjk6282
Thanks for the fast reply. I will request it when I go in on Saturday.
NP...yours a non-revup VQ too I see (04's = 280hp VQ's).
Usually it's the 298hp revup's (05-mid 07 6mt's only, 07 sedans excluded) that have OC issues.
G/L

Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 AM
besides the oil burning up are there any other symptoms to look for to indicate that the engine is oil consuming?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
6MT Coupe
^ Heard many talk about what their exhaust tips look like and/or inside tips.

On my old VQ with OC, was black and sooty. After my replacement and cleaning those (though still some OC, but less like my old one) they're staying cleaner.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-02-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: grammer and reprhased for more accuracy
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
my tips seem to always be kinda black but i think i know what you mean

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 AM
6MT Coupe
Just got my UOA results....My V2 is doing great internally and shows signs of a good build so far, very little wear and expected fuel dilute for an engine still breaking in. Lab says I can safely step it up a notch on being more aggressive with it, but don't go crazy on rpm's yet. w00t w00t...think I've got a winner. UOA's are your friend folks!!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Just got my UOA results....My V2 is doing great internally and shows signs of a good build so far, very little wear and expected fuel dilute for an engine still breaking in. Lab says I can safely step it up a notch on being more aggressive with it, but don't go crazy on rpm's yet. w00t w00t...think I've got a winner. UOA's are your friend folks!!
Congrats
+1000 on UOA from Dyson Labs is your best friend.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Congrats
+1000 on UOA from Dyson Labs is your best friend.
I've had good experience with Blackstone Labs. How much is UOA from Dyson?
More oil info here than you can shake a stick @.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Glad to hear the V2 is wearing well, keep us posted. I'm trying to decide between a used '08 or a new '09. Got time though-hands are tied until I close on the house I'm building, at least for the next 3 months. Guess that's not the worst problem to have

Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyson Analysis
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/index.html

60.00 for one on one analysis with audio commentary from Terry Dyson. The tuning advise and time he spends with you is worth every penny 10x over. I now have a cleaner burning engine.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info. The standard UOA @ Blackstone is $22.50. The report comes with an interpretation of the results, and I've called with questions before that they were happy to answer. They have other tests available also. I was testing longer oil change intervals with synthetics, and for my Toyota 3.4L it looks shorter intervals of 5-7.5K with dino are working better than longer intervals with synthetic. I'll probably run the full syn occaisionally due to its cleaning properties.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by phm14
I've had good experience with Blackstone Labs. How much is UOA from Dyson?
More oil info here than you can shake a stick @.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Glad to hear the V2 is wearing well, keep us posted. I'm trying to decide between a used '08 or a new '09. Got time though-hands are tied until I close on the house I'm building, at least for the next 3 months. Guess that's not the worst problem to have
Thanks and I'll keep you members updated.

Not bashing Blackstone, they're good for healthy engines and basic written interpretations, I've seen their complete reports. But IMO, when it comes to unhealthy and/or fresh engines and/or even normal healthy ones, Dyson Analysis takes it way beyond what Blackstone will/can do. The old saying...you get what you pay for. I use Dyson myself as well.

Another good thread on oil that pertains only to oil used in our VQ's exclusively:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-d...ysis-info.html

08, 09's use the new generation VQ. No OC issues that I know of.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!