The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess i have to give them a call asap. dealer is 3 hours away.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Went another 1240mi on this VQ and was 1/3qt (8mm) down.
Changed oil third time and will see how much OC in another 2K, which will = 3740mi total on replacement.
Hope it improves.

Are you sure 8mm is 1/3 quart? Another member mentioned that 15mm = 1 quart. He specifically said that it takes 2 quarts to go from the L mark to H .

Can anyone clarify this?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by drive4fun
Are you sure 8mm is 1/3 quart? Another member mentioned that 15mm = 1 quart. He specifically said that it takes 2 quarts to go from the L mark to H .

Can anyone clarify this?
Between L and H should be 1qt.

Everyone: Check Your Oil!-8mm.jpg

Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by bythabay
Between L and H should be 1qt.

Attachment 93752

That picture is actually from the oil consumption bulletin. Basically you are telling me that 30mm = 1 quart.

According to your speculation and the bulletin if you lose more than 22mm ( which is less than 1 quart) within 3,500 miles you are qualified for a new engine.

Basically if you lose more than a quart per oil change you are bound to receive a new engine from Infiniti.

Are you sure that from L to H it's 1 quart? 30mm = 1 quart?

That should qualify almost everyone who is consuming oil.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:12 AM
That picture is actually from the oil consumption bulletin. Basically you are telling me that 30mm = 1 quart.

According to your speculation and the bulletin if you lose more than 22mm ( which is less than 1 quart) within 3,500 miles you are qualified for a new engine.

Basically if you lose more than a quart per oil change you are bound to receive a new engine from Infiniti.

Are you sure that from L to H it's 1 quart? 30mm = 1 quart?

That should qualify almost everyone who is consuming oil.
You need to check the oil consumption chart. For example, if you consume more than 7mm on the dipstick within 1500 miles, you are due for a new engine. However, if you consume 24mm within 3501 miles, then you will not be given a new engine.

Yes, I'm quite sure that hashed area on the dipstick represents 1qt of oil. You can run it to low (very end of hashed area), pour in one bottle of oil, and confirm.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:14 AM
here's the chart:

Everyone: Check Your Oil!-chart.jpg

Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe

Yes, I'm quite sure that hashed area on the dipstick represents 1qt of oil. You can run it to low (very end of hashed area), pour in one bottle of oil, and confirm.
I can confirm 1qt is between L/H hash marks. Every time I was at L mark, 1qt would bring it back to H on my old replaced VQ.

Can anyone clarify this?
24mm = 1qt = between L/H hash mark.
12mm = 1/2qt
8mm = 1/3qt and so on.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I can confirm 1qt is between L/H hash marks. Every time I was at L mark, 1qt would bring it back to H on my old replaced VQ.

24mm = 1qt = between L/H hash mark.
12mm = 1/2qt
8mm = 1/3qt and so on.
Thanks for confirming. The member @ my350 was obviously wrong. I wonder if the dealer had told him that in order to avoid getting a new engine. After all the dealership stories I honestly wouldn't doubt that. This should help everyone who are checking their oil.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
6MT Coupe
Thanks for confirming. The member @ my350 was obviously wrong. I wonder if the dealer had told him that in order to avoid getting a new engine. After all the dealership stories I honestly wouldn't doubt that. This should help everyone who are checking their oil.
Read that too...lol. I confirmed there as well long time ago (have a different SN on 350) if we're talking about the same thread(s). Hear you on the dealer stories and games some of them play. Not the 2qts between H/L thing, but none the less games in trying to not qualify me. In the end, I finally won though.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Read that too...lol. I confirmed there as well long time ago (have a different SN on 350) if we're talking about the same thread(s). Hear you on the dealer stories and games some of them play. Not the 2qts between H/L thing, but none the less games in trying to not qualify me. In the end, I finally won though.
Why do they make it so difficult for us.. don't they realize that they'd have more return business if they treated their customers with respect?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
6MT Coupe
Why do they make it so difficult for us.. don't they realize that they'd have more return business if they treated their customers with respect?
Hear you on that too. Funny though, after I called them out on their games and finally won on next OC return visit, they were really cool and did an awesome job on my replacement...thank goodness. I'll go back to them and believe they now realize I ain't dumb as I look and know my stuff. Still will watch them like a hawk regardless in the future, even though they know better now hopefully.

They were the second dealer that played me btw. First one I'll never go back, due to proven incompetency from another warranty issue while in OC testing with them. No way was I going to let them try to do a VQ swap on my G when they couldn't fix my window after three tries. I even told them what parts were bad lol.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hear you on that too. Funny though, after I called them out on their games and finally won on next OC return visit, they were really cool and did an awesome job on my replacement...thank goodness. I'll go back to them and believe they now realize I ain't dumb as I look and know my stuff. Still will watch them like a hawk regardless in the future, even though they know better now hopefully.

They were the second dealer that played me btw. First one I'll never go back, due to proven incompetency from another warranty issue while in OC testing with them. No way was I going to let them try to do a VQ swap on my G when they couldn't fix my window after three tries. I even told them what parts were bad lol.
crap!!! my drivers window has been a problem since day one and i have brought it in at least 4 times for related issues, like you, i keep telling them what to do to fix it and they don't do it right. too many nights i have spent jamming pens, license plate, and whatever i had available down the window seal to realign the seal into the rail it came out of! they just approved my replacement engine and ordered! ah crap!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Sweet baby Jesus, that was alot of reading. Essentially I've decided to talk myself out of a 6-spd. I figure with all the city driving I do plus the OC issues not being as bad with AT's (which makes sense considering not alot of people I know rev the hell out of their AT's) I'm most likely going to take the plunge on an 05 Black G35 coupe AT, prem, Nav, ect... I'm lookin at on autotrader.com

Thanks V35 Skyline for all your posts. Keep us informed. I'll be watching my oil consumption closely once I take delivery of the auto G35.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by manbeer
crap!!! my drivers window has been a problem since day one and i have brought it in at least 4 times for related issues, like you, i keep telling them what to do to fix it and they don't do it right. too many nights i have spent jamming pens, license plate, and whatever i had available down the window seal to realign the seal into the rail it came out of! they just approved my replacement engine and ordered! ah crap!
Maybe they didn't have their best mech working on your window...hopefully is the case with your window situation and will have their best on your V2 swap.

My second dealer fixed my window first attempt and staff 5 certif master mechs. You might want to check how many at yours and # of prior V2 swaps under their belt for piece of mind. Mine said only their master mechs do their swaps.

I gave dealer my lug lock key and socket both taped not to scratch the insides of my wheel lug holes and ask please no impact gun, hand ratchet only. No wheel damage at all when my G was returned. Read many stories about wheel damage with G and Z forum members during their V2 swaps, so just a helpful FYI on that to all here

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 08-06-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added: only their master mechs do their swaps
Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Seems like these oil consumption issues are on pre 2007 engines. Is this correct? I just purchased a later built 08 G35x and hoping I don't have this problem.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!