The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
I was told to just drive it normal by my dealer...haha what's normal lol.

Lots of good threads on all this including this one. All long reading, but great info once all read.
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ption-tsb.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...nsumption.html
http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-d...iscussion.html
^I contributed a lot in that one too under a different SN.

What the HELL??? I click on the first link and then go to the TSB bulletins. The first fvcking page says that I have to break it in for the first 1,200 miles and that I should accelerate over 4,000 rpms and not to accelerate at full throttle!

Dooood, this dealer doesn't know $hit! Thanks for the info.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
I was told to just drive it normal by my dealer...haha what's normal lol.
Lots of good threads on all this including this one. All long reading, but great info once all read.
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ption-tsb.html
Excellent info and I really appreciate your input. I noticed how many oil changes you did during the first 3,750 miles. My my my that's care. I can't believe that the service dealer told me that these engines were broken in and that I could drive it as I regularly do. That's just outrageous. I have already put over 300 miles on her. I'll do another 200 or so and then change the oil. She's probably low since and I've been punching it a lot. Not all the time, but enough. Hell, I remember when I got the keys back from the dealer when she was first returned to me. I popped open the hood to check that all my mods were re-installed and then I started to rev up the engine. I know I revved it all the way to about 5k rpms easily! And that was just in their parking lot in front of their lobby storefront windows. I am going to have a chat with the service dealer and show him the bulletin. That was some very bad info he gave me.

I hope that my engine is not damaged due to my regular driving habits . . . you think it'll harm her?

Once again, I appreciate the data. Peace.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wats he mean its OKAY... if the light was flashing that means theres def a code stored.... misfire will blink the light and if its not detected it will go away but the code should still b in there if i happens again make sure u see the screen when they pull it up thats its not storing dtcs

Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
I took it back to the dealer today to check on it, and then told him that the CEL light came on around 6k rpms and he looked at me all funny. I was like what? It redlines at 7k rpms. I used to shift at round 6,500 rpms when I was really punching it. He told me that he wouldn't record that I shifted at such a high rpm and that he'd check it out.
That's because the tsb that got you a new engine clearly states no over 4k rpm on the replacement for the first 1200. Whether that is sound advice or not is debatable but you never tell the dealer you didn't follow it.

Moreover, is it just me or does it feel like these new engine replacements have less power?
It's just you.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
That's because the tsb that got you a new engine clearly states no over 4k rpm on the replacement for the first 1200. Whether that is sound advice or not is debatable but you never tell the dealer you didn't follow it.
Unfortunately I learned about the TSB after I had my engine replaced and was well on my way driving it "normally." The reason I knew about the oil consumption report was because my friend Hexx (who's on this board) first brought it to my attention over a year ago and I've somewhat heard about it but never knew it was a big issue until I got my oil changed by my own mechanic and he told me that my engine was faulty.

I first saw the TSB report today and am going to send it to the dealer who told me that I don't have to break in the new engine.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've got an 06' Coupe MT Stock and I know that it needs an engine replacement because I measure the oil consumption myself.

should I wait to get the replacement done after putting on more miles (i've only got 20k), or is there any advantage of getting it done now?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 AM
^^^why wait? i don't see the advantage in waiting. just show up with the TSB report and they'll check your oil to be sure.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^why wait? i don't see the advantage in waiting. just show up with the TSB report and they'll check your oil to be sure.

i dunno so i could drive this engine hard just for fun and then get the replacement engine. do you know if the replacement engine is a new engine or just refurbished one??

Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Excellent info and I really appreciate your input. I noticed how many oil changes you did during the first 3,750 miles. My my my that's care. I can't believe that the service dealer told me that these engines were broken in and that I could drive it as I regularly do. That's just outrageous. I have already put over 300 miles on her. I'll do another 200 or so and then change the oil. She's probably low since and I've been punching it a lot. Not all the time, but enough. Hell, I remember when I got the keys back from the dealer when she was first returned to me. I popped open the hood to check that all my mods were re-installed and then I started to rev up the engine. I know I revved it all the way to about 5k rpms easily! And that was just in their parking lot in front of their lobby storefront windows. I am going to have a chat with the service dealer and show him the bulletin. That was some very bad info he gave me.

I hope that my engine is not damaged due to my regular driving habits . . . you think it'll harm her?

Once again, I appreciate the data. Peace.
Yes I changed my oil a lot. My Tribologist I consult with suggested that. Get the assembly lubes outta there ASAP and there will be lots of fuel dilute that shears the crap out of the oil during early break-in periods.

Just take her easy from now on for a bit. Stay under 4K rpm, vary rpm's while cruizin fwy, you've already (in a sense) done a break-in method I did with still using factory method. Just I didn't go over 4K rpm doing it and only 5-6 times WOT, then back to factory method to 3750mi. (not 1200)

I suggest, if you do more oil changes even after 500mi and before the 3750 mark like I did, get an UOA done on the interval when you reach 3750. I did and my analysis shows a good build and breaking in nicely. And got the green light to step it up a notch and can start romping on it more safely on a regular basis.

These VQ by no means have completed their break-in period by 1200mi like Infiniti or Nissan says. Raw data numbers on UOA's don't lie.

How the hell is Hector...haven't seen him around here much, though these OC threads and NorCal is my main life here. Tell him I said what up. How's Hector's VQ replacement holding up with his SC? Think his replacement was a V1 while ours a V2. I remember you from 6mt and Hexx too. Don't go there much these days.

Peace Bro....

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by bhancz
i dunno so i could drive this engine hard just for fun and then get the replacement engine. do you know if the replacement engine is a new engine or just refurbished one??
Remanufactured.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Yes I changed my oil a lot. My Tribologist I consult with suggested that. Get the assembly lubes outta there ASAP and there will be lots of fuel dilute that shears the crap out of the oil during early break-in periods.

Just take her easy from now on for a bit. Stay under 4K rpm, vary rpm's while cruizin fwy, you've already (in a sense) done a break-in method I did with still using factory method. Just I didn't go over 4K rpm doing it and only 5-6 times WOT, then back to factory method to 3750mi. (not 1200)

I suggest, if you do more oil changes even after 500mi and before the 3750 mark like I did, get an UOA done on the interval when you reach 3750. I did and my analysis shows a good build and breaking in nicely. And got the green light to step it up a notch and can start romping on it more safely on a regular basis.

These VQ by no means have completed their break-in period by 1200mi like Infiniti or Nissan says. Raw data numbers on UOA's don't lie.

How the hell is Hector...haven't seen him around here much, though these OC threads and NorCal is my main life here. Tell him I said what up. How's Hector's VQ replacement holding up with his SC? Think his replacement was a V1 while ours a V2. I remember you from 6mt and Hexx too. Don't go there much these days.

Peace Bro....
I saw him about 6 months ago when Neftali came down from D.C. (you may not know him) and Zoomzoomers, Hexx and myself got together to meet him. That was cool and he was in between jobs. About a month ago when I told him about my oil consumption issue, he was out of a job. Him and I have been struggling to get employed. I was unemployed 6 months before I said fvckit and went back to school to finish my BA in history and to learn graphic design. I haven't heard from him since though and I need to give him a shout. He doesn't post as much anymore on 6mt or here. He's even been absent from the USC and Cowboy threads. His G was fine but I did hear that he reverted to his stock wheels for some reason.

By the way, what was your username on 6mt?

Once again, I appreciate all the input. You've been 10x more helpful than the service dealer was at Kearny Mesa Infiniti.

Ohh and what's a UOA? I figure it's some kind of oil analysis?

Thanks man!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM
6MT Coupe
I saw him about 6 months ago when Neftali came down from D.C. (you may not know him) and Zoomzoomers, Hexx and myself got together to meet him. That was cool and he was in between jobs. About a month ago when I told him about my oil consumption issue, he was out of a job. Him and I have been struggling to get employed. I was unemployed 6 months before I said fvckit and went back to school to finish my BA in history and to learn graphic design. I haven't heard from him since though and I need to give him a shout. He doesn't post as much anymore on 6mt or here. He's even been absent from the USC and Cowboy threads. His G was fine but I did hear that he reverted to his stock wheels for some reason.

By the way, what was your username on 6mt?

Once again, I appreciate all the input. You've been 10x more helpful than the service dealer was at Kearny Mesa Infiniti.

Ohh and what's a UOA? I figure it's some kind of oil analysis?

Thanks man!
In the same boat...unemployed...sux.
Just J on 6mt.
06CPV35 on my350.

UOA = Used Oil Analysis.
Don't be surprised if you still see OC on your fresh V2, some drink a bit while breaking in, while have read others don't hardly at all (can't figure that one out still to this day). Mine consumed, but improved with every oil interval and hopefully will continue on that trend. Going 3750mi on this current interval. Next oil change I'm going 100% Synth, due to my last UOA looking real good internally while breaking in with Blend and will probably take that interval to 5K pending UOA results with oil in service now.

But every V2 seems to be different in Analysis where it is in break-in, internal condition, build, etc., so what I'm doing with mine (and it's results) is not written in stone 100% for all other V2's. Only UOA's can give you the 411 on individual V2's as is with all individual engines.

I'll keep everyone posted at the end of my next interval per OC mm's and following UOA results.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-30-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added more about UOA's
Old 10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
^^^Cool. Keep us posted.

Oh and John, good luck in the job market. Believe me, I know how tough it is out there.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
6MT Coupe
^ Thanx man appreciate that. It's a rough road out there for sure.
G/L in your hunt as well.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my baby back from Infiniti, seemed like for ever they did good all in all. Now the break in and continued OC test on my part. Exhaust sounds nicer due to the headers, chatter from the flywheel but im HAPPY regardless. Was driving a GTR today omg i feel so Slllloooooooooooowwwww.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!