The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CG8798
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an 05 with 43k on it. Should I be really concerned about this issue? Should I be able to notice anything when test driving? Is the warranty still on the car at this point or no?
I personally would want one with less miles, but you will still be covered under the drivetrain warranty.
Are you buying it from a dealership?
If so see if u can get an extended warranty.
If the OC is really advanced you will be able to hear some rattling and some have experienced rough idle.
I don't think this is an issue on most revups though.
Just remember people usually will post issues they are having with their rides as opposed to posting what's NOT wrong with their car.

Basic: 4 yr. / 60,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 6 yr. / 70,000 mi.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well yeah I would like less miles. But what I'm looking for is going to have a little bit more than I really want. unfortunately this infiniti is not from a dealer. Its from a private dealer. That's why I asked if the car would still have a warranty since its not at an infiniti dealer. Everything at the dealer is about $5000 more. Is there a way to check if the one I want still has a warranty on it?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Simple answer:
If you have a drive train warranty from the "independent dealer", yes.
If you bought it "as-is", no.

PS, if you can't afford the extra 5k, be careful ... our tires are $1200, every two years!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by timgiffin
Simple answer:
If you have a drive train warranty from the "independent dealer", yes.
If you bought it "as-is", no.

PS, if you can't afford the extra 5k, be careful ... our tires are $1200, every two years!
I will be able to afford things in the future but at the moment I am in need of a new car and my budget just doesn't hold that extra 5k within the time of buying a new car. I'm trying to plan accordingly and think ahead of costs. I'm afraid that this OC issue would cost me too much in the long run without a warranty. Again, is there a way to check warranty standing?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I bought my 2003 G coupe from CarMax with 17K miles on it and Infiniti replaced both my 6MT transmission and VQ35DE under warranty over the first four years I owned the used car. In other words, the warranty transfers across owners. The vehicle just needs to be within the powertrain warranty (6 years, 70K miles) at the time the vehicle was originally sold, and whatever's left when you purchase it will be the length of your warranty.

Whichever comes earlier - 6 years or 70K miles - will determine the end of the powertrain warranty on your car.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Well yeah I would like less miles. But what I'm looking for is going to have a little bit more than I really want. unfortunately this infiniti is not from a dealer. Its from a private dealer. That's why I asked if the car would still have a warranty since its not at an infiniti dealer. Everything at the dealer is about $5000 more. Is there a way to check if the one I want still has a warranty on it?

I would have your local Infiniti dealership run the VIN of that car you are looking at...if they have a complete service history on that vehicle, they would more than likely honor any remaining factory warranty and replace the engine if it does have an oil consumption issue.

I have heard that you can check the tailpipe...if it is really dirty it could be a sign of oil consumption. I can only speak for myself on that..but my car does have a lot of residue in the tailpipe AND it is waiting for Infiniti to authorize the engine replacement as we speak. I have owned this vehicle for 4 months...purchased with 49K miles, and figured I was willing to take the chance on the Oil consumption issue.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an 05 with 43k on it. Should I be really concerned about this issue? Should I be able to notice anything when test driving? Is the warranty still on the car at this point or no?
The warranty on the drive train is 6yrs or 70k doesn't madda who owns it.I just bought mine it had 35k and no problems if u do u'll get a new motor no big deel.. if u r concerned get a compression test..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Is the car you're looking at a 6MT? Those are the engines that are notorious for the problem. Just keep a close eye on the oil level. I would change it as soon as you get the car and keep an eye on it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Its actually not a 6mt. I will check with inifiniti for sure about the VIN #. If the warranty stands for any owner then that's a good thing. But if the car was not brought to infiniti for oil changes, does that make the engine replacement unavailable. I read previously that they need a complete history that deals with infiniti to hold to that replacement. I also noticed that it said was more likely with rev-up engines. How do I know if the model I'm looking is rev or nonrev? Is it only based on tranny? Thanks for answering all these questions by the way. I appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Service records showing proper miles interval oil changes are required to make things flow smoothly. These records must be provided from ANY licensed repair facility.
Rev-ups...true, found in most '05/'06 models.
Call your Infinity dealer, supply the VIN to the Service Department they will tell you complete vehicle details if you required (including engine ID).

Please note this: you are about to purchase one of the best built, most trouble free, fun to drive, low maintenance vehicles on the road. You have only a 5-10% chance of catching a bad motor. Go buy the car if you like it!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Is the car you're looking at a 6MT? Those are the engines that are notorious for the problem. Just keep a close eye on the oil level. I would change it as soon as you get the car and keep an eye on it.
I believe anything prior to may 05 after may then u shouldn't have a problem with OC ....if im correct...

Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Again, I appreciate the help. I'll have to contact infiniti about all the info off the VIN. I do note the quality of this car and its engine. I had two maximas in the past and I sure as hell miss the VQ

Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the Oil Consumption issue Primarily with the 6MT's?
CG8798, if you are planning buying an auto, you won't be as likely to have this OC issue.
Worst case scenario, you do have an OC issue and Infiniti won't replace your engine. In that case, just be sure to check your oil regularly and you will be fine.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok that makes me feel better. I'll check it out and keep on eye on it if I actually do buy the car.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Check'n In

My '04 G35 Coupe (6sp/MT), has been at Infinity for almost two weeks now. The problem seems to be that the TSB supplied from Nissan to Infinity warrants immediate replacement for the "Rev-up" engines in the '05-'06 models for OC issues, not '04's etc.
Final issues came down to this: Upon Infinities inspection of the vehicle they found, failed compression test, occasional rough idle (particularly when cold), intermittent timing chain rattle (when cold), cylinder #6 compression in excess of 40lbs max pressure. Hence, regardless of the OC issues they are bound by their drivetrain / emissions warranty.
STILL awaiting final approval from Nissan warranty...let ya know,
Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!