The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Check'n OUT!!!

Finally, after two weeks, Nissan Warranty Department gave the go-ahead of my '04 G35 Coupe, 6mt @ 60k miles for my engine replacement. Check out the before mentioned OC issues I posted.
Though I was under the 6yr/70k drivetrain warranty they (warranty dept.) bargained the TSB of application of the TSB to the '05-'06 Rev-ups engines only.
Reply is simple...drive train warranty!
Have questions?
Feel free to ask....
Get Back 2u ASAP
Tim

Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by timgiffin
Finally, after two weeks, Nissan Warranty Department gave the go-ahead of my '04 G35 Coupe, 6mt @ 60k miles for my engine replacement. Check out the before mentioned OC issues I posted.
Though I was under the 6yr/70k drivetrain warranty they (warranty dept.) bargained the TSB of application of the TSB to the '05-'06 Rev-ups engines only.
Reply is simple...drive train warranty!
Have questions?
Feel free to ask....
Get Back 2u ASAP
Tim
Congrats! I had my 2003 6MT G's engine replaced around 55K. Had the tranny replaced too (around 35K)! Thank God for transfer of warranty (I bought it used)...

And yes, you're correct. The TSB is only for revups, but Infiniti must still honor the powertrain warranty. If anything, that just means we have to prove we've maintained the vehicle as they have not formally recognized the issue with our version VQ35DE version. In other words, they may make you work a little more to get your engine.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Standard unacceptable OC was 1qt/1000mi or worse for warranty replacements for all VQ's. TSB for revups changed that standard for those. Believe it's the old standard for non revups still, which is unfair to the non revup folks imo.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM
New Engines Just as Good?

Are the new engines the same spec as the Rev Up engines? I read an earlier poster complaining that his replacement lacked the verve of the original engine. That doesn't sound right.

Should I be trying harder? I had the OC test done, and the Infinity of Kirland dealer reported I was low only 5mm at 1,000 miles instead of the required 9mm for qualification under the TSB. I'm wondering if I should just keep tabs on it, keep spare oil around, and not worry - because the engine otherwise seems fine and plenty gutsy. It's just a little rougher at startup and idle and some NVH when compared with my old Maxima's VQ30 engine, but that just may be a typical observation of the new VQ's.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Exclamation

1)The new engines that are used as replacement engines, for the majority, are ALL revised Rev-ups! In other words...the modification that was necessary to fix the oil ring problem ('03-'0x) required redesign. Renovation engines for the VQ's are normally issued for the requested replacement for ALL warranty OC issues.
2)Your correct keep an eye it. (Be careful about your oil filter, just for kicks go to Infinity, buy a couple filters...try those they may help.)
3)I'm not crazy about the drive-train noise. Be careful there! The VQ's are known for thier precision. Noise is not a good thing here in VQ land.

If I can help more let me know.

Last edited by timgiffin; 07-23-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Jederino
Are the new engines the same spec as the Rev Up engines? I read an earlier poster complaining that his replacement lacked the verve of the original engine. That doesn't sound right.

Should I be trying harder? I had the OC test done, and the Infinity of Kirland dealer reported I was low only 5mm at 1,000 miles instead of the required 9mm for qualification under the TSB. I'm wondering if I should just keep tabs on it, keep spare oil around, and not worry - because the engine otherwise seems fine and plenty gutsy. It's just a little rougher at startup and idle and some NVH when compared with my old Maxima's VQ30 engine, but that just may be a typical observation of the new VQ's.
My replacement was smooth as butter fresh, but did seem to lack some umph. Once it got some miles on it, seemed to pull much better (loosening up during/after break-in period). Pulls as hard if not harder than my original after break-in.

The older the oil gets with miles, blow-by and fuel dilute, the faster the OC rate increases. So when dealer says come back in 1K mi when testing starts, oil is still very fresh with true OC rate not proved yet (unless your VQ is a serious burner and qualifies in first 1K miles with flying colors).

TSB states customer can request test to continue. For example: If you don't qualify first time back or dealer says VQ has no issues and doesn't qualify. I have personal experience with that one...

Use the TSB and chart to your advantage, not theirs.

G/L

Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
@v35, good tip about the TSB. But, I cannot understand why the dealer would have an incentive to short-change the testing process. The service agent told me, "Hey, I would love to give you a new engine. It's a lot of money for us." Any guesses why they are so obtuse about it?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Me either and all the stories of how dealers play games to 'not' qualify owners. Go figure

After I requested my test to continue, they wanted me back in another 1K miles. I ignored their mileage request that time and came back when a quart low. Was still well within TSB mileage chart and stated TSB test guidelines. They said nothing when I came back second time by returning beyond their 1K mi request. Think they knew better b/c they knew I knew of the TSB, which I had brought each dealer visit.

They even tried to tell me test can't start with Synth, must be with Dino (I just had oil service with Synth from a different dealer) I asked where in the TSB does it state that and please show me (handing them my copy lol). My test was done running Synth. Study the TSB so knowledge is power on your side

Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Hey guys your both right. The answer to the question is not Infinity, rather, Nissan Motor Corp.. The warranty approval, ultimate financial loss (which is HUGE!!!) and all control of the replacements are the responsibility of the warranty department for Nissan. Already, Nissan has filed a class action suit against the manufacture of the oil rings and sleeve sets.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Ps

I just got my car back today from South Bay Infinity! I did not pay a penny.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've just tapped 1k on my new engine that I got at Frontier Infiniti.. Taking it in on Tuesday for the 1K mile check. This new engine seems a lot stronger than the first one.
I did have to pay $5.00 for the loaner though..
Now to get this puppy Super Charged!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by timgiffin
Hey guys your both right. The answer to the question is not Infinity, rather, Nissan Motor Corp.. The warranty approval, ultimate financial loss (which is HUGE!!!) and all control of the replacements are the responsibility of the warranty department for Nissan. Already, Nissan has filed a class action suit against the manufacture of the oil rings and sleeve sets.
Would love to read up on that. Got a linky by chance?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Would love to read up on that. Got a linky by chance?
Please read my before post. I have read yours, and ah, may I both compliment you and thank you, your post were interesting, knowledgeable and helpful.

Anyway, my position gives me insight to many facts your probably going to see soon. Also, looking at your warranty receipt will complement the facts posted. Can you imagine: at about 6k+ net loss per engine...ouch!

Again, in respect to your previous post...it's nice talking to you,

Tim

CHECK MY NEW POST!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Exclamation URGENT '03-'04, 6sp, COUPES W/OC ISSUES!

Refer to past post please, but to make a long story short: There is a new transmission attached to my engine replacement! Reason is simple: the new replacement engines are re-modified Re-ups in mass production to cover the TSB for the '05-'06 issues. So, if you have an '03-'04 VQ: torque transference is out of line. You may also receive a NEW TRANSMISSION!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM
6MT Coupe
^Heard of G/Z revup people getting new trannies too occasionally in past. Mine was fine at swap time and still is with 40K miles on it. Some have that wine noise or it's found input shaft bearing going/gone or syncro(s) ng = warranty replacement as well.

Revup used for non revups, interesting for non revups owners. Wonder if they are still using the G non rev pt# 10102-AM8M1 and get a new ECU with that. Otherwise I could see a revup short block with non rev heads during assembly. Then stockpiled in distribution warehouse along with #10102-AC7M9 G revup long blocks. Z's have different pt#'s with their rev and non rev's.

Wish you the best with your fresh VQ and tranny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!