The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Yes I changed my oil a lot. My Tribologist I consult with suggested that. Get the assembly lubes outta there ASAP and there will be lots of fuel dilute that shears the crap out of the oil during early break-in periods.

Just take her easy from now on for a bit. Stay under 4K rpm, vary rpm's while cruizin fwy, you've already (in a sense) done a break-in method I did with still using factory method. Just I didn't go over 4K rpm doing it and only 5-6 times WOT, then back to factory method to 3750mi. (not 1200)

I suggest, if you do more oil changes even after 500mi and before the 3750 mark like I did, get an UOA done on the interval when you reach 3750. I did and my analysis shows a good build and breaking in nicely. And got the green light to step it up a notch and can start romping on it more safely on a regular basis.

These VQ by no means have completed their break-in period by 1200mi like Infiniti or Nissan says. Raw data numbers on UOA's don't lie.
I changed her oil at 500 miles before I went to Vegas, but they didn't have a UOA checking system. I then took her to Vegas this past week for a business trip. Didn't go above 4k rpms and just a few times to about 5k rpms. She now has close to 1400 miles on her. I can notice a difference in feel but I still want to drive with discretion. I gotta tell you, for that long trip from Vegas to San Diego with my rpms stuck at 3k for the majority of the time, it looked like I was getting 25 mpg or more I was really impressed with the gas mileage and I was still cruising at 80.

I'll change her oil again, but do you know of any place that runs a UOA on used oil? Firestone didn't. I'll still drive her gingerly, but 3750 is pretty high up there. I don't know if I won't be able to refrain from pushing her

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
I changed her oil at 500 miles before I went to Vegas, but they didn't have a UOA checking system. I then took her to Vegas this past week for a business trip. Didn't go above 4k rpms and just a few times to about 5k rpms. She now has close to 1400 miles on her. I can notice a difference in feel but I still want to drive with discretion. I gotta tell you, for that long trip from Vegas to San Diego with my rpms stuck at 3k for the majority of the time, it looked like I was getting 25 mpg or more I was really impressed with the gas mileage and I was still cruising at 80.

I'll change her oil again, but do you know of any place that runs a UOA on used oil? Firestone didn't. I'll still drive her gingerly, but 3750 is pretty high up there. I don't know if I won't be able to refrain from pushing her
Doing an UOA too early is a waste of $$. It'll still have a lot of assembly lubes, metal break-in contaminants, etc in motor, which will skew the numbers somewhat. I suggest doing a few more frequent oil changes to flush most of contaminates out, then grab sample for UOA. My first UOA had ~2K miles total on oil. More miles on oil okay too, being my next UOA will have 3750 miles on oil for analysis. That will be my 3750-7500mi interval on my V2 and it's second UOA.

UOA's are a specialized service. You order service first, then they send you a sample bottle to fill when it's time, then send in for analysis. I use www.dysonanalysis.com Terry Dyson will take good care of you concerning your V2. He has with mine and others. Blackstone Labs is another UOA service as well.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-13-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added Blackstone Labs
Old 11-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I have an '07 6MT that has the OC problem. I haven't taken it in yet. I don't really think I would be satisfied with a new engine. My initial thought is, who knows what else is going wrong when they replace the engine? Its hardly a new car after a total engine replacement, right? All the electrical connections, and whatever other connections (I'm no mechanic) may not even be reinstalled properly, resulting in even more problems in the future.

Even reselling it may be problematic. I surely wouldn't buy a used car knowing it had to have the engine replaced. Many people on this message board are on their 2nd and 3rd engines, that is absolutely unacceptable. I want Infiniti to buy this defective piece of junk back, not keep throwing engines at it that continue to be consuming oil.

I am a lawyer and was wondering if there are other lawyers on this forum? I would love to discus legal remedies available to all of us with this OC problem and Infiniti's games (overfilling oil, using 10w30 instead of 5w30). Please PM me or post here, thanks.

Last edited by fusQer; 11-19-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
You don't even know what they will offer you yet and you want to sue them. Typical Lawyer..

Geessh... They offer to install a hand built VQ35 in your car and your pissed? Some people are just never satisfied.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
You don't even know what they will offer you yet and you want to sue them. Typical Lawyer..

Geessh... They offer to install a hand built VQ35 in your car and your pissed? Some people are just never satisfied.
I've read the TSB, I've read this forum, I know what they will offer me, and its not worth what I originally paid and bargained for. If you are satisfied with your replacement and feel its worth your hard earned (or not) money, then more power to you. I don't like being taken advantage of.

As for what you think is such a great offer by Infiniti regarding the VQ35, (1) you've already paid them once to do it at the time of purchase, they failed, (2) they are not "offering" it as you seem to assume, you have to play their games and jump through hoops to even get a replacement: they unethically over fill the oil, and/or fill with 10w30 instead of 5w30 so it leaks slower), and (3) even if you do get a replacement, you will have to most likely play their game all over again because it will continue to consume oil.

Again, if you are satisfied owning a defective $35k+ piece of machinery built by a company that is treating you and other owners like sh**, then more power to you. I want only what I originally paid for, and am determined to get it.

Last edited by fusQer; 11-19-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I had not read this thread. I have an 04 G Sedan and last month it was making a weird crackling sound. I took it for a check up and I was informed that the engine had absolutely no oil. I had performed the previous oil change at a local mechanic (Not Infiniti) and they (Infiniti) blamed the other shop. They said that probably no oil had been added. They said they had verified egine and no leaks or damages had been observed.

I will take it to be verified immediately and keep you all posted on their response.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by fusQer
I've read the TSB, I've read this forum, I know what they will offer me, and its not worth what I originally paid and bargained for. If you are satisfied with your replacement and feel its worth your hard earned (or not) money, then more power to you. I don't like being taken advantage of.

As for what you think is such a great offer by Infiniti regarding the VQ35, (1) you've already paid them once to do it at the time of purchase, they failed, (2) they are not "offering" it as you seem to assume, you have to play their games and jump through hoops to even get a replacement: they unethically over fill the oil, and/or fill with 10w30 instead of 5w30 so it leaks slower), and (3) even if you do get a replacement, you will have to most likely play their game all over again because it will continue to consume oil.

Again, if you are satisfied owning a defective $35k+ piece of machinery built by a company that is treating you and other owners like sh**, then more power to you. I want only what I originally paid for, and am determined to get it.
First I don't have a defective POS. I uses less than a 1/2 qt in 7500 miles now with 72,000 miles. If you will notice from my sig below, it is exactly the car that eveyone is says is the problem.

Second, maybe I don't understand what you object to. This is not costing you anything, they even give you a loaner. I would be more than happy that they are doing anything at all. Your car will be worth much more with the new engine when you sell or trade. General Motors says one quart in 800 miles is considered "normal". I don't think so.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by GreeddyG35
I had not read this thread. I have an 04 G Sedan and last month it was making a weird crackling sound. I took it for a check up and I was informed that the engine had absolutely no oil. I had performed the previous oil change at a local mechanic (Not Infiniti) and they (Infiniti) blamed the other shop. They said that probably no oil had been added. They said they had verified egine and no leaks or damages had been observed.

I will take it to be verified immediately and keep you all posted on their response.
Very well could have been the other shop. From what has been posted here, it's only the 05' and earlier "rev-up" motors with 6MT that have the OC problem.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
6MT Coupe
Very well could have been the other shop. From what has been posted here, it's only the 05' and earlier "rev-up" motors with 6MT that have the OC problem.
correction...05 revups and later. No revups were produced earier than 2005

Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
^^^^ Whs

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fusQer

Yeah it was bad from the start, Yeah they try to cheat on the test, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil. They put you through a little grief but if you have a clue going in it's not too hard of an obstacle.

I got a new motor at 24k. just past 2k on it. break in consumption is getting back to what i consider not a problem and the new motor is pulling strong.

I think a replaced V2 in an 06 adds to the resale value not detracts. It's a pita to get it but if you can navigate through the hoops the end result is worth it. The person who buys your car should you decide to sell doesn't have to.

New motor = as close as you get to a brand new car. I love the car. new motor makes it even better. I rolled back the clock 24k miles.

If you want to sue do everybody a favor and sue for a recall. They should be replacing all. It's not all about you.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I have recently moved from michigan to alabama. needless to say u.s. cars and trucks rule the highway in michigan. As I have moved here I see alot of foreign cars. This g35 has really caught my eye. I will not buy new the amount of depreciation is not worth it and you can find so many slightly used g35's around with low mileage. but after reading this I don't want to be replacing motors and checking/adding oil with every fuel fill up. I already have that! I drive a 93 saturn SC1 had it forever. SOHC I4 1.9L this oil consumption problem has plauged them from the start as well. either stuck piston rings or bad valve guides. they replaced the motor at 46K, but none the less I'm at 186K now and burning a quart every 500miles. I have resorted to buying the 5 quart jugs and keeping it in the trunk and checking the oil after every fuel fill up. I don't want another car like this! I really like the looks of this car and would like to own it.. but if this is what I have to look forward to then forget it! My wife's Envoy Denali 06 does not drop in oil level from 0 - 5000 miles! I do the oil changes and use mobil 1 5000.. It would be very hard to buy this car and see if it is burning oil and take it back if it is.. I would only need two weeks with the amount of driving that I do.. This is the car that has caught my eye.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...=&aff=national

But I wonder why it is being sold with so few miles on it? Maybe it just had a new motor put in it and they traded it in for something else? Very worried?!?! Please advise what to look for or if I should even consider this.. If not I am buying a SKY Redline..

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by ucantcme57
I have recently moved from michigan to alabama. needless to say u.s. cars and trucks rule the highway in michigan. As I have moved here I see alot of foreign cars. This g35 has really caught my eye. I will not buy new the amount of depreciation is not worth it and you can find so many slightly used g35's around with low mileage. but after reading this I don't want to be replacing motors and checking/adding oil with every fuel fill up. I already have that! I drive a 93 saturn SC1 had it forever. SOHC I4 1.9L this oil consumption problem has plauged them from the start as well. either stuck piston rings or bad valve guides. they replaced the motor at 46K, but none the less I'm at 186K now and burning a quart every 500miles. I have resorted to buying the 5 quart jugs and keeping it in the trunk and checking the oil after every fuel fill up. I don't want another car like this! I really like the looks of this car and would like to own it.. but if this is what I have to look forward to then forget it! My wife's Envoy Denali 06 does not drop in oil level from 0 - 5000 miles! I do the oil changes and use mobil 1 5000.. It would be very hard to buy this car and see if it is burning oil and take it back if it is.. I would only need two weeks with the amount of driving that I do.. This is the car that has caught my eye.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...=&aff=national

But I wonder why it is being sold with so few miles on it? Maybe it just had a new motor put in it and they traded it in for something else? Very worried?!?! Please advise what to look for or if I should even consider this.. If not I am buying a SKY Redline..
Is the car a 05' or newer? If not, you are fine. If it is, print off the TSB on the OC issue and take it to the lot. Tell them, you want the car but if it has the OC issue, (fill in the "if" here) There are not that many that have the OC problem compared to how many are out there.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
correction...05 revups and later. No revups were produced earier than 2005
^^^^ Whs
That's all I meant. Revups were 05-07 only, not earlier lol.
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
If you want to sue do everybody a favor and sue for a recall. They should be replacing all. It's not all about you.
Agree...and I created a thread way back before the TSB was released to hopefully have the NHTSA force a recall on these. Everyone...file your complaint on this defect. My new V2 still consumes though not as bad as my original, but...it...still...consumes...oil...
My NHTSA thread ---> https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/188688-owners-vq-oil-consumption.html

Old 11-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks to all...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!