The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i tell if the car i wanna buy has the problem?

i was reading this thread for an hour and i still cannot put my finger on how i can identify if the piston rings are bad. how fast will the oil be used up like days hours?...months? or what?
i found a good deal on an 05 6mt and im not sure if im about to get ripped or not.

please help

Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Concern yourself only if it is a manual transmission. Then you can have a mechanic do a compression/leak down test on the engine. That will show if the rings are bad.

If it is an MT, I would print out the TSB and show it to the person/dealer you are thinking of buying from. Tell them the sale is contingent on an Oil Consumption test that you will have the dealer perform after the sale, if you have the OC problem, you get your money back. And GET IT IN WRITING!

Don't let the fear of a OC problem stop you, I have a 05' MT and I don't have the problem, thousands don't.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:17 PM
whats the tbs? test of some sort im assuming?
im gonna have my buddy do a compression leak test so we can see if it has the problem b4 i buy it.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by deathdank420
i was reading this thread for an hour and i still cannot put my finger on how i can identify if the piston rings are bad. how fast will the oil be used up like days hours?...months? or what?
i found a good deal on an 05 6mt and im not sure if im about to get ripped or not.

please help
OC is based on oil usage/miles. Some as bad as 1qt/~500-800mi to 1qt/~2500mi.

Heavy soot inside tailpipe tips is a quick visual if there's excessive OC happening too. TSB (technical service bulletin) will take care of that issue if later found you have OC. Leak-down test is good way prior to buying. Cool u have a buddy that will do that.

Another thought...go to any Infiniti dealer with VIN # and they can check it's history of any prior owner OC notations with dealer and/or dealer OC testing and/or maybe already had the warranty VQ replacement done per TSB.

Most recent current TSB I'm aware of:
https://g35driver.com/forums/3275606-post284.html

G/L

Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by deathdank420
whats the tbs? test of some sort im assuming?
im gonna have my buddy do a compression leak test so we can see if it has the problem b4 i buy it.
Sorry, I meant TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), not TBS (Turner Broadcasting System)

Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 PM
does this problem include the 03 also?
i did a load test on it and smelled nothing foul or saw no smoke

Old 11-30-2008, 11:26 AM
6MT Coupe
^ Have read some non revups going South, but nothing compared to the 05-07 revups...hence the the birth of that TSB finally recognizing there is an issue with many of those.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 AM
OKay i understand wha is goin on but what about an 04 coupe?>@!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
6MT Coupe
All 04's are the non revup VQ's....

Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by ghost30
Just finished my TSB. 25mm low after 800 miles. It's official, 3rd engine coming.

any update on this? i apologize if you already posted, but theres like 50 pages to this thread!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Seems that most people on this thread get their oil changed at the dealer (or sometimes other places). I do my own oil changes. Am I gonna get a run around because I can't prove that I did regular oil changes? How would I prove that I had done them? I don't necessarily buy the oil or the filters just before I'm going to change the oil (I have a couple on the shelf now and just did an oil change). Is a maintenance log I keep going to be good enough? Anyone have experience with this?

I have an 05 6MT Sedan with 46k on it. The problem appeared about 10k miles ago and I just became aware of this thread recently. Scheduled to start the OC test on Monday and wondering what they'll tell me about my home maintenance...
Thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
I get mine done at a Car Wash that also does OC. They have a computer record of everything. I supply the filter, they supply the oil and labor.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMachine
Seems that most people on this thread get their oil changed at the dealer (or sometimes other places). I do my own oil changes. Am I gonna get a run around because I can't prove that I did regular oil changes? How would I prove that I had done them? I don't necessarily buy the oil or the filters just before I'm going to change the oil (I have a couple on the shelf now and just did an oil change). Is a maintenance log I keep going to be good enough? Anyone have experience with this?

I have an 05 6MT Sedan with 46k on it. The problem appeared about 10k miles ago and I just became aware of this thread recently. Scheduled to start the OC test on Monday and wondering what they'll tell me about my home maintenance...
Thanks
Read the tsb and the flowchart. There is a path for having verifiable oil change records and a path for not. They both end up with the same result.

The point of the OC test is for the dealer to monitor it under their control. They do the initial change and any topping off as needed during the test.

Just make sure you are checking the stick yourself and making sure they put down the correct readings and document any topping off they do. Keep a close eye on them.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Ohh no! I am brand new here (1st reply) and I just bought my 05 G35, so I don't know if mine is burning oil yet....
But, my old 02 Maxima had this problem, and come to find out so did the next generation maximas. Every car they put these 3.5 VQ engines in have this problem, which is definately why Nissan/Infinity is soo tight lipped and will fight you tooth and nail. Especially since this is an "Award Winning V6 Engine" for the past several years.
All I can say from experience in my 02 Maxima is change your oil often at the dealership and keep all of your receipts. Check your oil level often, at least once a week, because once you have this problem you can go through a quart a week even under normal driving conditions. At the first sign of oil consumption bring it to the dealership to make a record of this. This is the best way to make sure Nissan/Infinity owns up to this.

I was thinking that since only a percentage of cars with these engines have this problem, it may be a problem local to certain plants where the engines are manufactured/assembled. It would be nice to have a Vin # Reference list to see if this is so. Does any1 know if this has already been done?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 PM
the factory will have u come in and get an oil change and then they will tell you to bring it back in x amount of miles and they will recheck oil level and if its out of spec they will cover the motor, but the car cant have any mods done to the motor this dosent happen to year car more so to the older 3.5 motors and 4.5 motors

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!