The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal on finally getting your car back. I hope that fixes it for you. I appreciate you starting the thread so we can all be more aware of the possible problem. I check the oil a lot more often than I did previously, in spite of the crappy dipstick.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I bought my car (04 coupe) in jan 07. it had 45600. it now has 48235 to be exact. I just did an oil change today w/ GC w/o ever doing an oil check. just curious to see if i have the problem. My car happened to drop 4.65 qts of oil. So its not all VQ motors. but after reading this thread i'll be checking it once every week. good luck to all who has this problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:08 PM
idk but i read another guys whos did the same thing and it only got worse....he got lucky they replaced the whole engine. i doubt that will happen but deffinetly fight for it. good luck

Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by damafuka
I bought my car (04 coupe) in jan 07. it had 45600. it now has 48235 to be exact. I just did an oil change today w/ GC w/o ever doing an oil check. just curious to see if i have the problem. My car happened to drop 4.65 qts of oil. So its not all VQ motors. but after reading this thread i'll be checking it once every week. good luck to all who has this problem.
Most of the issures are on the 05-06 VQ motors. There are a few cases of the 03-04's buring some oil.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to post here before I create a thread.

My first oil change will be tomorrow. Will I be ok using the yellow bottle pennzoil 5W-30 with a nissan oem filter?

Should I jump directly to synthetic or use another filter?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM
I want to post here before I create a thread.

My first oil change will be tomorrow. Will I be ok using the yellow bottle pennzoil 5W-30 with a nissan oem filter?

Should I jump directly to synthetic or use another filter?
I wouldnt recommend pennzoil for any car. i now alot of people who had problems using pennzoil. i would go w/ another brand like castrol, redline or royal purple w/ k&n filter. thats what i would do

Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm also a bit worried about Oil Consumption.

My 06 6MT has about 6k miles, and 3k miles after the 3750 oil change, my dipstick was reading low. The oil level was just a tad below the "L Line" (low level line).

Should I be worried? I had my oil change immediately, and luckaly I have not heard any weird noises coming from the engine.

Worst of all, I noticed this issue the day after tracking my car.

But have not noticed any "symptoms".

What should I do?

Ive been motoring the oil level every 500 miles since then (1 month ago).

I have dyno'd my car after the second oil change (before first oil change, oil level was on low), and there didnt seem to be any problems regarding power.
Not sure if that has any relevancy on this issue though

PS. Yes, I am a bit paranoid!

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 04-01-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by damafuka
I wouldnt recommend pennzoil for any car. i now alot of people who had problems using pennzoil. i would go w/ another brand like castrol, redline or royal purple w/ k&n filter. thats what i would do

WHS^^^

I have had nothing but sludge problems using Penzoil unless you change it every month as we did in our trucks at work.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I'm also a bit worried about Oil Consumption.

My 06 6MT has about 6k miles, and 3k miles after the 3750 oil change, my dipstick was reading low. The oil level was just a tad below the "L Line" (low level line).

Should I be worried? I had my oil change immediately, and luckaly I have not heard any weird noises coming from the engine.

Worst of all, I noticed this issue the day after tracking my car.

But have not noticed any "symptoms".

What should I do?

Ive been motoring the oil level every 500 miles since then (1 month ago).

I have dyno'd my car after the second oil change (before first oil change, oil level was on low), and there didnt seem to be any problems regarding power.
Not sure if that has any relevancy on this issue though

PS. Yes, I am a bit paranoid!

Bottom line...if your dip stick is on the low mark, you are 1qt low and should add a quart to bring back at full mark.

If you mean 'symptoms' being weird engine noises, that's when there's only 1 or 2 qts left in the engine total, making it 3 or 4 quarts low out of 5. That's not good for any engine.

Seems you check often, so I doubt you will ever get lower than 1 qt. I check every 1000mi and monitor mine that way.
I always add when she's a quart low and never let it get lower than that.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks 06CPV35,

You answered all my concerns.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Not sure if anyone has ever taken the time, but in my previous life (Maxima), there were quite a few guys that did a TON of research on oil filters and found that the Nissan stock filter for the VQ (same damn filter since 95 with the 3.0) was actually pretty darn good. He ran a motor on multiple filters (yes, including Fram, i think that one was just for curiosity sake) and it held up as well as the Bosch and Mobil 1 filters.

Just a little note to throw into that little sidebar

Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Just talked to Infiniti about this. Here's the scoop:

1. Change the oil. Keep receipt.
2. Drive car for 1k miles.
3. Take car to Infiniti dealership and have them check the level. If they note that the car is 1 qt. or more low, they'll top off and note it in your vehicle history report.
4. Drive the car for another 1k miles.
5. Take car back to Infiniti dealership and have them check the level. Again. they'll check the level and note is you're 1 qt. or more low. Top off and you're back on the road.
6. Drive car for another 1k miles.
7. Take car back to Infiniti dealership and have them check the level. If your car is 1 qt. or more low, they'll take the car into warrantee repair. 99.9% chance you'll receive a new engine with a "fix" to the problem.

I don't know what the fix is, and couldn't pull it out of the service rep I spoke to, but was told that this was the direction that his shop received from Infiniti / Nissan in regards to the problem.

This seems like a problem that is being fixed "quietly" by Nissan in order to address the people that are reporting the issue. Those that don't have the problem should be thankful. This is really a pain in the @ss...

BTW, yes I'm experiencing oil consumption issues. I just changed my oil after 2500 miles (10,400 total on the car), and am 3 1/2 qt. low...

Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
^Do you go to IOC for service since they're right down the road from you?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!

After months of going back and forth with the dealer and Infiniti . . . . . I am finally getting my new engine!! I was right at the point that I was about to seek legal means to resolve this issue and possibly lemon the car because of my oil consumption issues. But to my suprise, the dealer called me this morning and said to bring the car in ASAP. Infiniti Corporate has approved a new engine for my car. I can't wait until I have my car back with a new engine and this whole ordeal is finally done and overwith.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
After months of going back and forth with the dealer and Infiniti . . . . . I am finally getting my new engine!! I was right at the point that I was about to seek legal means to resolve this issue and possibly lemon the car because of my oil consumption issues. But to my suprise, the dealer called me this morning and said to bring the car in ASAP. Infiniti Corporate has approved a new engine for my car. I can't wait until I have my car back with a new engine and this whole ordeal is finally done and overwith.
congrats man. now you have to drive it slow until you break it in again... then you're going to say that you drive slow in LA so you dont mind that.. DEJAVU man!!!

btw, ur avatar on here looks better than Trojan Man on 6mt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!