TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, please bare with me since I'm new here. I just bought an 06 6MT Coupe, and after skimming this thread, I'm concerned about the oil consumption problem and my G being possibly affected. Now that leads me to my question.

How do I know if my motor is affected?
What should I do it is it?

Again, please bare with me. This thread is now 75+ pages long and tough to read every single posting.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Go to your local Infiniti dealer and ask to initiate an oil consumption test. You be charged the price for an oil change and will be required to return after 1000 miles. Please refer to the posted TSB for more details.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
why not first check your oil....

Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jairen
Just got a call from Ben at Riverside Infiniti and got approved for an engine replacement.

Awesome...they gave you another motor with the same faulty design. I hate this, how they just keep replacing motors with new motors that have the same potential problem until you're out of warranty, then they get to laugh at you.

I don't know why so many more people don't just buy weisco piston/ring kits for these cars right off the bat lol.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe because they can't figure out how to install ipod adaptors without making 5 threads

Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX

I don't know why so many more people don't just buy weisco piston/ring kits for these cars right off the bat lol.
I'd go for that in a heartbeat if 'cost' was covered under warranty and not a penny out of my pocket...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 PM
possible oil issue

I bought an 06 G35X sedan at 25K miles, it now has 42K miles chage the oil at 3000 every time it starts cold it makes noise for about 2 seconds this bothers me what is it?
First time posting. Don't know if this has been discussed as there a lot of posts, thanx in advance.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^^wat kind of oil filter do u use?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 PM
possible oil issue

The last3 oil changes were done by nashua dealer then firestone so i'm not sure.They reccomend not using synthetic because it will **** by the rings firestone has the blend.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
thinking i may be part of this problem notice my oil low all the time...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
sooo.... after failing me on OC test the first time, I went back to the dealer, posted up on my car, even after numerous requests to sit in the waiting room I stayed and the mechanic came out and checked the oil level. He said it was consuming oil. So now my rep is pulling all this dumb crap about how it's a preexisting condition and that he doesn't know if the warranty will cover it because of it switching from the previous owner to me.. I think thats the stupidest thing I've heard. He was trying to pull that bs. I told him that when I got the extended warranty transfered on my name they asked for all the oil maintenence records, if I didn't have those then they would take apart my car and look for sludge. If they found any the warranty wouldn't transfer.

Now they want to rip apart the engine and look for sludge, if they find any it will cost me 500 for them to look and wont give me a new block...If no sludge is found then they will go ahead and replace it under warranty at no cost. This just seems like another way to get away with giving me a new engine. I've been to them 4 times, and they finally admit I have the OC problem...Is the sludge test neccesasry? Wouldn't an oil leak cause sludge anyway?

Apparently the guy who had the car before me 0k-72k, didnt perform an oil change at the dealer from 40-66k, and so they don't have the records. Which is why they are making me do that sludge test bull****. Any suggestions? I was thinking about calling the previous owner and asking him if he got oil changes done anywhere else so I can send to the Nissam Claims office so they can skip that process?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by Milk Sheikh
sooo.... after failing me on OC test the first time, I went back to the dealer, posted up on my car, even after numerous requests to sit in the waiting room I stayed and the mechanic came out and checked the oil level. He said it was consuming oil. So now my rep is pulling all this dumb crap about how it's a preexisting condition and that he doesn't know if the warranty will cover it because of it switching from the previous owner to me.. I think thats the stupidest thing I've heard. He was trying to pull that bs. I told him that when I got the extended warranty transfered on my name they asked for all the oil maintenence records, if I didn't have those then they would take apart my car and look for sludge. If they found any the warranty wouldn't transfer.

Now they want to rip apart the engine and look for sludge, if they find any it will cost me 500 for them to look and wont give me a new block...If no sludge is found then they will go ahead and replace it under warranty at no cost. This just seems like another way to get away with giving me a new engine. I've been to them 4 times, and they finally admit I have the OC problem...Is the sludge test neccesasry? Wouldn't an oil leak cause sludge anyway?

Apparently the guy who had the car before me 0k-72k, didnt perform an oil change at the dealer from 40-66k, and so they don't have the records. Which is why they are making me do that sludge test bull****. Any suggestions? I was thinking about calling the previous owner and asking him if he got oil changes done anywhere else so I can send to the Nissam Claims office so they can skip that process?
dude thats bull ****. my 05 coupe had absolutely no service record after 34,000 miles. i brought it in for the OC test @ 63,000 miles. i bought the car at nissan with 50,000 miles. so since i bought the car i changed the oil 2wice @ a shop and the last time at infiniti. they asked me why there was no service record after 34,000miles and i said IDK i only put about 12000 miles on the car since i bought it. they then asked me if i had oil change records and i said yes but they never asked to see them. in the end i burned 1qt every 1000 miles and they replaced my motor under powertrain. so go to a different dealer.

Now here is my problem. i have a new motor and only put 750 miles on it so far but it still is consuming oil. i am soooooo pissed. on top of that the car has more problems now then it did when i had my old motor. here we go:

issues before new motor: oil consumption, popping sound coming from my right caliper.

issues after new motor
: oil consumption, same caliper noise, belt noise, exhaust manifold rattle and it get super hot, exhaust shield rattle, clutch is getting stuck 1/2 way up from the floor after 15 min of stop and go driving and once the brand new clutch gets hot i have trouble getting it to go into 1st gear. <may be slave cylinder.

im ready to wash my hands with this car. i should have bought an EVO or a Audi S4

Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by -.NiT3.RiDa.-
dude thats bull ****. my 05 coupe had absolutely no service record after 34,000 miles. i brought it in for the OC test @ 63,000 miles. i bought the car at nissan with 50,000 miles. so since i bought the car i changed the oil 2wice @ a shop and the last time at infiniti. they asked me why there was no service record after 34,000miles and i said IDK i only put about 12000 miles on the car since i bought it. they then asked me if i had oil change records and i said yes but they never asked to see them. in the end i burned 1qt every 1000 miles and they replaced my motor under powertrain. so go to a different dealer.

Now here is my problem. i have a new motor and only put 750 miles on it so far but it still is consuming oil. i am soooooo pissed. on top of that the car has more problems now then it did when i had my old motor. here we go:

issues before new motor: oil consumption, popping sound coming from my right caliper.

issues after new motor
: oil consumption, same caliper noise, belt noise, exhaust manifold rattle and it get super hot, exhaust shield rattle, clutch is getting stuck 1/2 way up from the floor after 15 min of stop and go driving and once the brand new clutch gets hot i have trouble getting it to go into 1st gear. <may be slave cylinder.

im ready to wash my hands with this car. i should have bought an EVO or a Audi S4

wow that sucks... i have no problem with my car except the OC *knock on wood*, I dont care if it starts on the new motor as well... I just want the power/compression back...lol ill probably invest in the weisco pistion kit....its at 80k and im sure theres alot of compression missing..

and why the hell do you have so many problems after your replacement? did you break in the motor?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Sheikh

wow that sucks... i have no problem with my car except the OC *knock on wood*, I dont care if it starts on the new motor as well... I just want the power/compression back...lol ill probably invest in the weisco pistion kit....its at 80k and im sure theres alot of compression missing..

and why the hell do you have so many problems after your replacement? did you break in the motor?
my theory is this. the tech did a good job putting in the motor in as its not that hard to drop in a long block assembly. but he ****ed up putting back my exhaust manifold and heat shield. also never bleed the clutch after he put the new one in. and he may even resurfaced the flywheel too much.

Sooo since the exhaust manifold was not put in properly nor was the heat shield, NOW the heat from the manifold is causing the piece of **** clutch assembly to overheat therefore burning out my slave cylinder causing my clutch to get stuck when hot. now since thats happening now my clutch is overheating since its not getting enough fluid from the slave cylinder and the heat is warping my flywheel as well. and the fact the manifold is so hot could also contribute to the motor burning more oil but idk this all started happening 3 to 400 miles into motor break in. i now have 700 miles on the motor when i brought it back. 500 miles out of the 700 is all highway miles driving from NY to NJ and back

Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 PM
So ive heard about this Oil consumption problem on revup's and i never saw this thread until this mouring, and jeez there alot of people with this problem! and It freaked the **** out of me! So i went down to CERRITOS INFINITI, spoke with the service manager, and he gave me a free oil change and said to come back in 1500 miles to see if I have the oil problem. Does this sound correct, the procedure in which they check to see if I have the problem? Any tricks or anything? Should I be going sooner, or later then 1500? Any thing I need to know about this? Thanks. Also I have 2007 rev up coupe 6mt with 28000, to early to tell? Thank you all very much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB