TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blowncob
So ive heard about this Oil consumption problem on revup's and i never saw this thread until this mouring, and jeez there alot of people with this problem! and It freaked the **** out of me! So i went down to CERRITOS INFINITI, spoke with the service manager, and he gave me a free oil change and said to come back in 1500 miles to see if I have the oil problem. Does this sound correct, the procedure in which they check to see if I have the problem? Any tricks or anything? Should I be going sooner, or later then 1500? Any thing I need to know about this? Thanks. Also I have 2007 rev up coupe 6mt with 28000, to early to tell? Thank you all very much.
I got my new VQ at 29,000 miles and was asked to do the same as you. Now hop in your G and drive it like its stolen (highway driving high RPM) to burn oil to get a new engine

Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by bhancz
I got my new VQ at 29,000 miles and was asked to do the same as you. Now hop in your G and drive it like its stolen (highway driving high RPM) to burn oil to get a new engine
I just got my new motor. Drag racing=new engine. That's all I'm saying.

Make as many runs at the drag strip as you can within those 1500 miles. You'll be low.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
I just got my new motor. Drag racing=new engine. That's all I'm saying.

Make as many runs at the drag strip as you can within those 1500 miles. You'll be low.
Agreed. I did my test twice. first one: conservative driving, 7mm down. second one: high rpm's and alot of engine braking, 15mm down.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone ever replace the rings in their burner? and does it solve the problem

Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
it should, but the cylinder walls may be damaged too

Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
this is what infiniti said about my engine(they had to take it apart for the warranty or something...idk)

Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
got my car back with a new long block. they actually had to take the old engine apart to verify the problem so infiniti would warranty it. They did wet and dry compression tests.

Dry compression 170, 166, 130, 155, 145, 160
Wet compression 180, 178, 175, 180, 178, 180

they found worn piston rings, scored valve train and scored cam journals.

so the moral of the story is warranty ftmfw when buying used cars..lol...although this was covered on the factory powertrain warranty...just barely

Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
First post. Let me say thanks to all the contributors, this is a very helpful community.

I bought an '06 6MT coupe about a month ago, and just rolled over 50k miles. It's still under PT warranty, and I noticed an OC problem immediately. It is under an OC check right now, and I am about 11mm low at 850 mi.
I am the second owner, and the first had this vehicle under a lease from an Infiniti dealership in Miami.
Does it stand to reason that this car was maintained at the dealership regularly as part of the lease agreement, and would said dealership retain records of the maint?
Under the TSB I think I definitely qualify for a replacement, the issue is that I don't have a folder full of past receipts.
What should I do to equip myself with a case for an engine replacement?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM
'05 G35 Oil Consumption Test Result

Hello All - I took my G35 into the dealer to do the oil consumption testing. They did an oil change last summer at about 35,000 miles and I took it back for the test/another oil change a few days ago at 37,600 miles (note the low miles since I don't drive my G35 in the winter). The results are good, no excessive oil consumption. I drove moderately during this oil consumption test period. A mix of city and highway, along with some normal cruising and a couple hard accelerations here and there (but nothing like I used to do in my 97 prelude when I was about 25 ). I'll keep monitoring the oil on my own as well, but so far things look good in this area.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Obscene-G35ture
First post. Let me say thanks to all the contributors, this is a very helpful community.

I bought an '06 6MT coupe about a month ago, and just rolled over 50k miles. It's still under PT warranty, and I noticed an OC problem immediately. It is under an OC check right now, and I am about 11mm low at 850 mi.
I am the second owner, and the first had this vehicle under a lease from an Infiniti dealership in Miami.
Does it stand to reason that this car was maintained at the dealership regularly as part of the lease agreement, and would said dealership retain records of the maint?
Under the TSB I think I definitely qualify for a replacement, the issue is that I don't have a folder full of past receipts.
What should I do to equip myself with a case for an engine replacement?
obscene ge35ture - what about a carfax report? Should have some record of when it was taken in for any work....

Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by kingkhan
obscene ge35ture - what about a carfax report? Should have some record of when it was taken in for any work....
The Carfax report, although clean, contains very little about maintenance performed. The warranty was re-validated when it was sent back to the factory after the previous owner's lease was completed. I actually spoke to the person who had the car leased and he told me that it was regularly serviced at a Nissan dealership. To my dismay, however, the maintenance was done at the Nissan dealership by a friend under the table... I think I'm being jerked around by the Infiniti dealership though, because the warranty carried over and I know they have other ways of validating it other than a fistful of receipts.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys I am havign an issue with the new engine and wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem...

I got the new engine swap a couple months back with no big problems..

Anyways, they gave it dino oil when I first got the car...I have put a total of about 4000 miles on the car since I got the new engine..

Btw I broke the engine in for over 2000 miles without hitting over 4000k rpm...I went past what the dealer recommended just to be safe.. (1200 miles)

Anyways, the problem with the car is that after a night or day or driving slightly hard...I come into the garage and the car is burning/smoking under the hood...This shouldnt be happening and I thought it might be due to the dino oil they used (or it being low). So I went ahead and did an oil change yesterday...had a drive last night and am having the same issues with the smoke coming after a hard drive...

Some other minor details are that I swapped with Castrol full synthetic which isnt making any positive or negative effects on the issue (I thought it would fix it since maybve the smoke is bc the oil is low)...Also in order to produce the smoke I only have to do one WOT run or even just pull really hard in one gear...after I do either I am guaranteed to get this smoking from the new engine when i pull into the garage..The engine has too many miles on it now for it to be havign these problems due to the "breakin" period...

If anyone can help please chime in...

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Sounds like oil leaking from somewhere.

Take it back to Dealer and have them find and fix oil leak.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
just got the call today after doin my OC test and looks like my new motor will be in next week so yea anyways during the test i drove my car like i stole it everytime i got in it never saw 6th gear and only saw 5th when i redlined 4th at my 1200 mile check i was down 1.7quarts guess that did the trick cant wait to get the new motor and hopefuly a new G for a loaner car during the swap that i can beat on for a few days

Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Yep! Revving it out more than usual will use more oil, guaranteed. That's an easy way to fool the OC test.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm...any one heard of VQHRs consuming oil? I've been revving pretty hard lately, i hope i'm not burning any oil!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB