TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
no, its a problem with the piston rings

Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
someone told me it has to do with some egr type valve thing not breathing and sucking up extra oil or something. i didnt really get it since im not a engine nut. any truth to that?
This is not the OC problem, yet it is another problem. Oil getting sucked up through the PCV into the intake. Then it goes into the cylinder for combustion. This significantly reduces the octane rating of the fuel and causes 'pinging'. The ecm sees this engine knock and retards the timing making the car slow and sluggish. Infiniti does not offer a solution, however adding a catch can helps alot.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
anyone had smog problems with oil burning engines???

Hi... Soon my 2006 G35 6MT will be required to be smog checked for the first time since I bought it new back in 06... Shortly after the smog test comes due this June (I live in California) the 4 year Emissions warranty will come to an end (August). So I am curious to hear whether or not anyone has ever encountered issues having any of these higher than normal oil consumers smog tested??? Anyone?? Any feedback would be much appreciated... thanks... bob...

Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
the 07-08 sedan is much more luxurious then the 1st gen coupe or sedan..you guys who want to pay extra for less doors are so cute

I would't spend any money on a car that i find hideous, so i don't see the relevance of anything you said here. Everybody has a different preference on body style...your wife keeps your ***** in her wall safe and made you get the 4 door so she can send you grocery shopping and put the kids in the back, that's fine for you...i don't have these inconveniences though, so i'm going to go for the sleeker looking coupe.

Thanks for the useful post though...you seem like one of the more constructive, knowledgeable members of this forum...i look forward to more future posts from you that may help me decide what my own preferences are since apparently opinions can be wrong.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by nsyr
This is not the OC problem, yet it is another problem. Oil getting sucked up through the PCV into the intake. Then it goes into the cylinder for combustion. This significantly reduces the octane rating of the fuel and causes 'pinging'. The ecm sees this engine knock and retards the timing making the car slow and sluggish. Infiniti does not offer a solution, however adding a catch can helps alot.
oh yea this is wat the guy described to me

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 PM
ok so today I took my car to the dealership after 1000 miles to check for oil consumption, and they said no I'm still full, I think they are BSing because the mechanic told me I needed a new engine about 3 months ago, now he tells me the engine is perfectly fine...

They told me to wait in the waiting room for 10 mins, they came and got me after about 30, I'm thinking they are doing some shady stuff. They told me not to mess with the dip stick so I didn't. So I didn't check how much oil I had before I went in there...

Damn stealership.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
If the dipstick isn't zip-tied down or anything then go ahead and mess with it. I was told not to mess with anything, but I still measured myself. They never knew. And If you want quicker consumption then keep the rpm's high while driving. I had to do two level checks because I didn't fail the first time at 7-8 mm's. That's when the service rep told me to keep the rpm's high and it will eat oil faster, which it did. I was at 15mm down at 1k miles on the second test. And to keep the rpm's up I just kept it in the 3-4k range in any given gear and always using the engine to decelerate.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Question for those who have had their engines replaced due to the oil consumption test.... The dealer told me that they would Be getting me a new engine. I have been thinking about it. How much of it is new? I'm sure the block, internals and heads are new. What about the fuel rail, spark plugs, belts, a/c condenser, alternator, intake plenum, throttle body, etc. Does anyone know what is included in the NEW engine replacement?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
just the long block, they reuse all that accesories

im sure they replace the plugs

Old 03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Okay, good to know. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
any problems having these OC engines pass smog test?

Originally Posted by diitto
Hi... Soon my 2006 G35 6MT will be required to be smog checked for the first time since I bought it new back in 06... Shortly after the smog test comes due this June (I live in California) the 4 year Emissions warranty will come to an end (August). So I am curious to hear whether or not anyone has ever encountered issues having any of these higher than normal oil consumers smog tested??? Anyone?? Any feedback would be much appreciated... thanks... bob...
Hi... I posed the above question recently but got not responses... Thought I'd toss it out there again... Anybody know if these OC engines have problems passing a smog test??? thanks.... bob..

Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by dannofoo
Question for those who have had their engines replaced due to the oil consumption test.... The dealer told me that they would Be getting me a new engine. I have been thinking about it. How much of it is new? I'm sure the block, internals and heads are new. What about the fuel rail, spark plugs, belts, a/c condenser, alternator, intake plenum, throttle body, etc. Does anyone know what is included in the NEW engine replacement?
My replacement came with plugs and a PCV valve already installed.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by diitto
Hi... I posed the above question recently but got not responses... Thought I'd toss it out there again... Anybody know if these OC engines have problems passing a smog test??? thanks.... bob..
I haven't heard/read anyone failing, but haven't searched/researched on the subject either.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Sup guys, i recently performed an oil consumption test on my 05 6mt coupe. after 1000 miles the oil level went from the H mark to the L mark (24mm). they said they would call me when they get an approval from infiniti with in 72 hours max. 5 days later after me lighting a file under their *** through consumer affairs, they finally said they ordered the new motor and will call me and LMK when to bring the car in.

Now i was thinking about stamping the block and other areas of the motor to make sure they dont pull a fast one on me... Anyone think thats too OCD or is it a good idea? thoughts are greatly appreciated...
also im droped on Tein S-techs w/ 25mm spacers all around. Will this be an issue for them to put the new motor in? hope not... any other useful advise would be great to. Gotta love Driver for useful info =). thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Don't worry, your new block will be nice and shiny. I was the same way and put some indescreet scratches on the old block to test the theory.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB