TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take another look at TSB page posted by V35 Skyline GT, it doesn't require any oil change history. You can download the whole TSB from infinitihelp.com. Take a printout and show it to the service manager. As long as you are in warranty, they can't deny you.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Exactly, print out the whole TSB docs and show them to that stupid service manager and he has no choice but saying he'll send this to Infinity and hopefull they will approve your engine replacement. That's what they said to me yesterday when i came see that same service mag that said i need oil change records for him to move forward. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello, i'm new here. i have been searching the forums for a little while. i now need to ge i get involved. there is so much and everywhere some times it gets alittle overwhelming. n-e-wayz. ii had no idea where to introduce myself and such. since my most pressing problem with my car is oil consumption , i thought here would be fine. 2005 lakshore slate 6mt sedan

Ok i'v had the car for 5 months i do love it. thing is i have put 10k miles since then..don't know if thats alot.some ppl seem to think so. point is .. twice during that time before i made it for scheduled maintenance at the dealership i bought the car from the check engine light came on.. oil was found nearly bone dry.. car had been sluggish and started making noise same day.. i now recognize that as really bad stuff.. take it in immediately..ok checked my oil today way low.. about a quart and a half..car quickened up.. spoke to nissan and two seperate reputable performance nissan shops.. quoted 5k new engine install, leak down test for 276 and 150..valve covers for 330 a peice ..ect..(no sludgevisible from oil fill cap on rockers) i am not so sure i have to replace both both valve covers..just got a copy of fact serv man from a poster here..if the pcv valve and baffle on right side are only know prob causer besides rings..y change other cover unless two seperate pcvs.. going to have a full documented oil change done on saturday... not sure about the dive in for this but healthy car is important..

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Ryuu
Take another look at TSB page posted by V35 Skyline GT, it doesn't require any oil change history. You can download the whole TSB from infinitihelp.com. Take a printout and show it to the service manager. As long as you are in warranty, they can't deny you.
Or here:

INFINITI G35 OC 5-20-08 ITB08-002c.pdf

Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by jookyshank
Before you go too far up your local dealership's patoot about this. Understand that Nissan USA has made this change, your local dealer seems to have very little ability to override Nissan's ruling. And if they did...it would most likely be at cost to the dealership itself. So I wouldn't assume they are out to get you at this point, check my other thread to see the hoops I have gone through at this point with Nissan USA DIRECTLY, and STILL no one wants to use logic to ensure we as customers are treated fairly, or even well.

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ed-nissan.html
What's the TSB number? More-so...the Infiniti TSB number.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
If this is an issue and Infiniti acknowledges it, once completed oil consumtion tests what would be the root cause of the oil consumption and what's the fix?

P.s just got my tranny changed under warrenty at 22000 miles I'm starting to worry bout this car

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM
dont feel bad, I had a new transmission put on my car at about 50k miles and now Im about 300 miles into oil consumption test and about halfway down dipstick already...what Im wandering is why I have to come back three times? You would think if its low once it will be again..

Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a 2006 G35 with AT that exhibits the same symptoms. This service bulletin seems the narrow down to MT only. Is this the case or is there a TSB for the AT as well?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by bwhiten
I have a 2006 G35 with AT that exhibits the same symptoms. This service bulletin seems the narrow down to MT only. Is this the case or is there a TSB for the AT as well?
the tsb is for MT only as they have the 'revup' engines. but i would still take it in.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you look at the poll there are some automatics which are that have had the problem as well. The TSB specifies 05-06 6mts, I have an 04 and they still gave me a new engine. Infiniti will still give you a new engine if you are under warranty.

seems to me like being able to rev higher just makes the problem occur faster

Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM
6MT Coupe
^Have never seen a TSB for non-revup VQ's (yours) only revups. Have read over the years that if non-revups fail with OC they usually replace with short blocks not long blocks. And not sure what OC chart (if any) they go by to determine non-revups as a fail. Old industry standard was 1qt/1000mi or worse which was my situation 'before' the revup TSB was first released Jan 2008.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
im pretty sure I got a new long block because the heads are shiny and the valve covers look new, I think it said long block on the paper but I can't remember, ill see if i can find it next time im in the car

I'm pretty sure mine was over 1 qt per 1000 miles though

Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm using 5 qts. per oil change, about 3500 miles. Smokes like crazy every time I crank it and had to get a plug changed just to pass GA emissions.
The oil low light has never come on except during cranking. Basically worthless as a warning light.
Also the A/Ts come with tiptronic which does NOT seem to protect itself if you over-rev it.

Last edited by bwhiten; 08-30-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
the oil light is for low oil pressure, unless you are stupid enough to let your oil run down to practically nothing, it should never come on, its not like a low fuel warning or something.

with that amount of oil consumption you should definatly be able to get a new motor if your warranty hasn't expired

Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm only at 43000 one-owner miles, purchased in August of 2006 so the drivetrain warranty should still be in effect. The only reason I know the low oil pressure light is pretty worthless is because the first inkling I had of the problem was at a standard oil change interval when I was told the oil level was extremely low. I don't normally check the oil level between changes, not when the recommended interval is already very small. Thanks for the help. I'll post if I get any grief/satisfaction from the dealer. They have been nothing but a-holes so far, dismissing it early on as "normal oil consumption for high performance engines".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB