TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
lol high performance, its in every car nissan makes

and like I said even if your oil is low u cant see any on the dip stick the oil light probably won't come on because there is still enough in there for the presure to be ok, the way to tell your oil level is the dipstick, the light is there to tell you if there is a problem with the oil system, if it comes on because the oil is low your engine is about to seize

try a different dealer, there is no way they can deny you if its as bad as u say

Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Agree.

Plus if oil light comes on (aka 'idiot light') you have 'no' oil pressure = damage done. G35 oil pressure sensors are an on/off; pressure/no pressure type sensor. 350Z oil pressure sensors are variable output types. Hence, their in-cabin oil pressure gauge we don't have.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would seem to make the light a moot point then. By the time you see it the damage is done. Most of the electronics I desgin for a living, if they provide a warning indicator of any kind, it is there to PREVENT damage, not to tell the consumer "oops, you just effed up"
Point taken however. Not all warning lights are created equal.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
the light is more about an oil system malfuction then a lack of oil...it doesnt mean damage is done, it means stop driving and fix your car..lol

Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
6MT Coupe
Malfunction still means no oil pressure, be it not enough in sump for pump, a blockage in pick-up tube or oil pump failure lol. You loose oil pressure at any point or duration while engine is running I'll guarantee you've done some damage, not always catastrophic damage but damage never the less. Engine Mechanics 101 Champ

Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM
what would be the point of the light if the damage was already done? The light means low pressure, not no pressure, that doesn't make any sense

logic 101 champ

Your dashboard's instrument cluster has a light on it that either says "OIL" or looks like an old fashioned oil can. What should you do if you see this light while you're driving?
Stop the car! This is one warning light that isn't joking. The oil light comes on when your engine suffers a drop in oil pressure. Without oil pressure it can't lubricate itself, and the result is self-destruction, meaning you have to do some seriously expensive internal engine repairs.

If the oil light comes on when you're on the road, you should pull over as soon as it's safe and turn the engine off. While you're on the side of the road, you should check the oil. If it's low, go ahead and add some engine oil and see if it goes off. If not, it's time to take it to the shop.
even if you do lose oil pressure totally the engine will not be damaged instantly, it wouldn't take long, but you would have enough time to pull over and get a tow, otherwise there would be no point in having the light.

Last edited by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust; 08-30-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I just got back from failing the oil consumption test..700 miles in I was 3 quarters down the dip stick about 13mm..yet they are telling me that I have to come back two more times every 1000 miles before they decide on an outcome? Are most people only doing the test one time and if its low then they are replacing engine? Also, they are acting like they are going to drop the oilpan and take pictures and some other stuff..is this normal..the problem is due to the tsb. Im just wandering what I should say or do...

Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by markc10
I just got back from failing the oil consumption test..700 miles in I was 3 quarters down the dip stick about 13mm..yet they are telling me that I have to come back two more times every 1000 miles before they decide on an outcome? Are most people only doing the test one time and if its low then they are replacing engine? Also, they are acting like they are going to drop the oilpan and take pictures and some other stuff..is this normal..the problem is due to the tsb. Im just wandering what I should say or do...
Wow...I was only down 11MM in 1000 miles and they did the test once and ordered the short block. IMO they can take all the pix they want, when they have your engine apart to replace it. Print out the TSB on the first few pages and take it in and ask them about it nicely. That should help cut the BS if there is any.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 AM
yeah, Im going to call one of the corporate infinity numbers tomorrow and complain. I dont have time to keep taking my car back to have the oil checked and changed every thousand miles..I already failed it once and today they changed the oil again..and then acted like they are going to try to see if its some other problem, when I took the tsb paperwork in..

Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 AM
when they did mine they had to disassemble the engine to prove there was a problem before it could be officially approved...took like 3 weeks. probably because i have a non rev up

Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by markc10
yeah, Im going to call one of the corporate infinity numbers tomorrow and complain. I dont have time to keep taking my car back to have the oil checked and changed every thousand miles..I already failed it once and today they changed the oil again..and then acted like they are going to try to see if its some other problem, when I took the tsb paperwork in..
They're playing games. Fresh oil with low miles will consume at a lesser rate in the beginning, than when it gets older with all the fuel dilute from the constant blow-by. In a nut-shell, they're NOT following the TSB guidelines on testing. Get a complaint file number when you call Corp.

G/L

Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Just to clarify. Do our cars need to still be under warranty for this to apply? Does the extended warranty cover it also? And you have to show every oil change for the history of your car?!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a question for everyone ... Is the dealer suppose to give me the oil change for free or am i suppose to pay about 70 bucks for them to do the oil change and "initiate" the oil consumption test?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Envyg
Just to clarify. Do our cars need to still be under warranty for this to apply? Does the extended warranty cover it also? And you have to show every oil change for the history of your car?!
1) Yes
2) Good question. Not all extended warranties are the same. Read your extended warranty contract.
3) Read pg 2 of the current TSB (flow-chart)....step ONE.

Originally Posted by bokchilo
I have a question for everyone ... Is the dealer suppose to give me the oil change for free or am i suppose to pay about 70 bucks for them to do the oil change and "initiate" the oil consumption test?
Look at the last page of TSB (pg 8). Those are claim codes dealer submits to Corp for payment. Note one of them IS for replacing oil and filter....

READ AND COMPREHEND THE TSB FOLKS...It's not rocket science...GEEZ

Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Ugh, this whole TSB process seems like it is more work then its worth! I guess depends on how serve the consumption issues are...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB