TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh and my measurement was within range as compared to Infinitis measure where it was way out of range.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DGrantG
U must've read a different tsb than me because the one I read said you must have the oil change prior to beginning the test and then take it in after 1000 miles for them to check it and order the short block if your oil consumption is out of range... Look back several pages in this thread for the updated TSB.
That's how they did mine.
They changed my oil for free, then I brought it back in after ~1000 miles and said they'll order a new short block.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzking
That's how they did mine.
They changed my oil for free, then I brought it back in after ~1000 miles and said they'll order a new short block.
Was you car modded when took it in ? Ie exhaust system ?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by N8digity
Was you car modded when took it in ? Ie exhaust system ?
Just z tube on the engine.
Stock exhaust.

I had coilovers etc but that doesn't affect the test.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Ok so I'm guessing from consensus is when I take to the dealer i should have the exhaust system off. The only way it was brought to my attention was with the MD system with the smoking and more pronounced smell of burning oil

Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
UPDATE:
Finally got a new short block! They also ended up putting in a new water pump and driveshaft. (I think they were just doing it to make money, lol)
While I took the car in, I had other warranty work that needed to be done. (Door actuator and sticky clutch pedal) Got the door actuators replaced and master and slave cylinder replaced to fix the clutch pedal getting stuck.

For all of you guys that got the new short block. How long did you wait for the break in period?
Can you really not go over 4k rpm and not full throttle for 1,200 miles?

I took off my Nismo exhaust and MREV plenum, and I want to put them back on!!

BTW I took off the mods to be on the safe side.

Infiniti Extended Elite warranty = FTW

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Black Acc
UPDATE:
Finally got a new short block! They also ended up putting in a new water pump and driveshaft. (I think they were just doing it to make money, lol)
While I took the car in, I had other warranty work that needed to be done. (Door actuator and sticky clutch pedal) Got the door actuators replaced and master and slave cylinder replaced to fix the clutch pedal getting stuck.

For all of you guys that got the new short block. How long did you wait for the break in period?
Can you really not go over 4k rpm and not full throttle for 1,200 miles?

I took off my Nismo exhaust and MREV plenum, and I want to put them back on!!

BTW I took off the mods to be on the safe side.

Infiniti Extended Elite warranty = FTW
That's good ****. Mine goes in for diagnosis on the 4th. They are dropping the oil pan and doing an compression test. After the findings they are making a warranty claim. What extended warranty company do you have. Mines warranty solutions. Also stripping the car to stock as well.

Last edited by N8digity; 08-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's good ****. Mine goes in for diagnosis on the 4th. They are dropping the oil pan and doing an compression test. After the findings they are making a warranty claim. What extended warranty company do you have. Mines warranty solutions. Also stripping the car to stock as well.
I have the Infiniti Elite warranty (extended warranty).
It's through Infiniti so no questions asked, they just do it like factory warranty.

I already got my money's worth. I paid $800 for 2yrs / 24k miles bumper to bumper. The invoice was for over $11k of work. Lol

For anyone looking for Factory extended warranty, Infiniti of Arizona has the best warranty prices out there!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm from az but stationed in Hawaii. Makes me wonder how smoothly things will go with warranty solutions and this process. Had the car a little over 90 days as well. :S

Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
500 miles and I'm exactly on the low line. I don't drive fast or hot rod often. My appointments today. Hoping for a new short or long block. Don't care. New is better than 43 k used! Wish me luck on my test.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by HertzG35
500 miles and I'm exactly on the low line. I don't drive fast or hot rod often. My appointments today. Hoping for a new short or long block. Don't care. New is better than 43 k used! Wish me luck on my test.
Hey man have them check your pcv valve. I was the same way. They did a compression and leak down test and they both came back fine. After they cleaned out the clog in my pcv it literally stopped at least it hasn't consumed any oil in three days. Just a little food for thought.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^instead of replacing the pcv that cost less than $10 they cleaned it ?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
they didnt have any in stock or it wouldve been replaced im waiting on the part to come in and yea itll be replaced.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yeah, the VQ is known to suck oil through the PVC system, hense all the "oil trap" bottles out there.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man have them check your pcv valve. I was the same way. They did a compression and leak down test and they both came back fine. After they cleaned out the clog in my pcv it literally stopped at least it hasn't consumed any oil in three days. Just a little food for thought.
Hey thanks for the info ill tell them that. They took care of me at my dealer. They were like just come back nov 2 made the app and were gonna get you a new short block. They were like ya this is the cleanest most well taken care of 06 they've seen in a couple years. Only 43 k miles on it. I think they get stiff when someone brings the car in near the 60 k mark just to try to get a new engine. But I had my receipts to prove my dates and that it was 1.3 Quarts low on 500 miles -_-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB