TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the updated TSB. It seems very similar to the original in terms of overall procedure. However, I had 2 different dealerships tell me that I needed to take it in 3 separate times at 1000 mile increments and fail all three. Furthermore, the original dealer wouldn't check my oil at 3500 miles after they had checked and filled it the last time and the other dealer wouldn't accept service by the original dealer as a valid starting point.

Is there an even newer TSB, or are both of these dealers trying to avoid engine replacements? It doesn't make much sense that they would actively try to avoid it, since their mechanics would get paid by Infiniti to do the work.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^If your G falls under the year/model of TSB, well it's all in black and white 'how' test is to be performed.

Yes many dealers play games and/or 'not' follow TSB guidelines when they're supposed to. Same with the 350Z folks with their TSB for the same OC issue.

Yes that's the current TSB in force I gave.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's a quick question for you all .. I've been getting a ping when the car is under load .. went to the dealer and they did "induction service" because they said it was carbon buildup .. at the same time I was there for the ping, I mentioned my oil being low .. I only went about 1100-1200 miles and I was a quart low .. they topped me off and told me to come back in 1000 miles .. my car still pings .. here's the question .. could this oil consumption have ANYTHING to do with my car pinging ?? it's the bad gas ping but I've pretty much ruled that out because I never use less than 93 .. thanks

Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 PM
these engines ping. I had my engine replaced and it lasted 1500 miles before it started pinging again. I took the intake plenum off and saw alot of carbon build up on the intake valves. It was the amount of carbon that you would expect to see on a 100k engine that was run on cheap gas all it's life.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by nsyr
these engines ping. I had my engine replaced and it lasted 1500 miles before it started pinging again. I took the intake plenum off and saw alot of carbon build up on the intake valves. It was the amount of carbon that you would expect to see on a 100k engine that was run on cheap gas all it's life.
I've been devoting tons of time trying to figure this out .. as far as I know NOW, the ping is related to oil consumption .. the dealer told me the ping was carbon buildup and treated it BUT that didn't fix WHY it was having carbon buildup .. I run the car pretty hard so there shouldn't be much carbon .. I'm 910 miles into the first 1000 mile test and I'm fairly confident I will be a quart low since I was a quart low last time and only went 1,100 miles .. I've spoke with some people and found out that oil-based carbon buildup can happen when the piston rings become worn and allow oil to pass .. I really feel this explains the oil consumption (since the dealer said the revups tend to have crappy rings) and since I can't figure this one out .. I'm just hoping I fail this OC test and the next one to finally resolve this nonsense

Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
6MT Coupe
Excessive PCV blow-by will do the same. Any oil in combustion chambers will reduce oct rating and coke things up in there as well.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
6MT Coupe
Anyone have blue/white smoke come out of exhaust and engine sound like a lawn mower for a few seconds on start-up with these TSB replacements? Mine just did this morning, but seems ok now after another start-up.

My oil level was fine and my G sat for a few days in garage. My replacement only has a little over 15K miles on it. It scares me this replacement is going South on me a different way.

Anyone else? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a fouled plug... or maybe excessive oil in the cylinder. Just curious, are you using a catch can?

Old 12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
6MT Coupe
Sounds like a fouled plug... or maybe excessive oil in the cylinder. Just curious, are you using a catch can?
Yes and it's doing a very good job keeping oil out of my plenum intake.

The start-up engine noise then going away, makes me think the oil from the pump all seeped back into the pan from sitting a few days (is there a check valve on those things?). Then on start-up, was running dry until it caught the oil again and started pumping.

These G's have no oil pressure gauge, which is a big fail in my book. Otherwise I would know for sure if oil pump was dry with no pressure, while my VQ was making that terrible noise for a few seconds.

Yeah oil in combustion chambers after sitting for awhile usually means oil seeped through the valve guide seals. Classic diagnosis/reason when that happens.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I just put a catch can (air pump filter from home depot) on and after 20 miles it has a few drops of oil in it. I haven't really noticed any pinging and the engine is more responsive.

I'm not sure about your lawn mower sounds... but, blue smoke would be oil. white smoke is water/coolant. black smoke is fuel.
So, blueish white smoke would be oil.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
well .. I go by this philosophy .. if it's a stock engine and I'm under warranty, it makes NO sense for me to have to add anything to this vehicle, such as a catch can, just to make the car "normal" .. I just went for my second OC test and I was 30mm low .. they put in 1 1/2 quarts of oil and the tech told me my engine was done .. so I go back in about 850 more miles and I'm probably going to have an appointment after that for the replacement .. this ping, if not related to bad gas, should be directly related to carbon buildup which is happening because of these for **** piston rings and oil consumption .. I'm actually glad I never went the oil catch can route because it's not really stopping the source of the problem, just sort of bypassing it I wouldn't even bother with a catch can unless you're out of warranty, modded, or you're one of those people that want to add a catch can to show off a "mod" while your hood is open lol I'd bet everything that once I get a new block and run a carbon buildup treatment, my ping should be completely gone

Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
6MT Coupe
I just put a catch can (air pump filter from home depot) on and after 20 miles it has a few drops of oil in it. I haven't really noticed any pinging and the engine is more responsive.

I'm not sure about your lawn mower sounds... but, blue smoke would be oil. white smoke is water/coolant. black smoke is fuel.
So, blueish white smoke would be oil.
First 100ish, mine collected about a tablespoon. Yeah no more ping for me either. I have a different catch can than you, but all perform the same function.

Yeah I know it was oil when blue. Smelled weird too after blue/white smoke cleared. Hint of something never smelled before. Not really coolant or burnt oil smell at tail tips while still running. My up coming OCI with UOA following should tell me more what's going on internally. Hope not bad things. UOA's are worth their weight in gold

Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by viOlaziOne
it makes NO sense for me to have to add anything to this vehicle, such as a catch can, just to make the car "normal" ..
Originally Posted by viOlaziOne
I'd bet everything that once I get a new block and run a carbon buildup treatment, my ping should be completely gone
I agree that it you should not have to add anything to a car for it to operate the way it was meant too.
I did get a new block and the ping was gone. For about 1500 miles and then it was back.
There is obviously a design flaw here other than rings, where there is a substantial amount of oil vapor is getting into the intake and causing ping and carbon deposits. Nissan/Infiniti does not offer a solution for this. So the only option I see is to either put on a catch can or get rid of the car. And I do not like the idea of putting crap on my car that is not meant to be there. But it is a cheap/easy solution for now.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
6MT Coupe
^Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
6MT Coupe
I had the dealer perform their Motovac Injection Cleaning (aka: MotorVacCarbon Flush) and Intake Clean on my old OC VQ before swapping my TB, intake plenum, lower collectors and fuel injectors to my long block replacement. Replacements come already installed with a fresh PCV valve and plugs. Mine starting pinging not long after. Why.....

Look below and imho is the cause.

PCV with only about 3500 miles on it.
Drench in oil and not rattle inside like they're supposed to when you shake it.

Picture doesn't do it justice what it really looked like in there.

System design flaw in my book.....so a catch can it is for me.

Just my .02

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 12-09-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added: just my .02

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB