TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
im just saying you shouldnt let your oil get that low because you could blow up..lol

Old 10-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So 4700 mi into my new VQ and 1000 mi into the fisrt oil change. I was tempted to change sooner but stayed with the factory schedule any way.

Still using Castrol dino , might be upgrading to synthetic at some point after I get a handle on what my new OC pattern settles in at .

So good news. My moderate OC over the first 4000 mi has finally slowed (I had to add 1 qt between changes in that fist 4000 mi. Last 1000 mi I am down only 4.5 mm, still some OC , but much less and within TSB chart safe zone. I am not babying the car any more and back to my usuall shift/rpm patterns. I'll post again after another 1000 . Peace

Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think my car is done for, how are you guys checking your oil?

just checked my oil and it looks half on the dipstick

gonna go to the dealership tomorrow

Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 3500 miles on my replacement engine and it has already consumed a quart. It has developed a slight tap at idle and the engine is pinging under load again. I will be patient about it and see what it does the next 3500. But I am going into the dealership this week and will let them know about the tap and ping.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by sleek6mt
i think my car is done for, how are you guys checking your oil?

just checked my oil and it looks half on the dipstick

gonna go to the dealership tomorrow
In how many miles....

Originally Posted by nsyr
I have 3500 miles on my replacement engine and it has already consumed a quart. It has developed a slight tap at idle and the engine is pinging under load again. I will be patient about it and see what it does the next 3500. But I am going into the dealership this week and will let them know about the tap and ping.
Tapping: Mine did that when oil was getting old, fuel diluted and was under a 1/2qt down during it's young life.

Pinging: Know what BS my dealer said about that. Curious what yours will say. My dealer couldn't even do a Alfa test under load correctly = they're truly useless morons.

Been working on a solution for that ping issue for a long time. Mine started when yours did and still does today at ~15K miles with high quality premium all it's life. Many trial and errors with testing ideas this end and getting closer I hope for a friendly end-user solution.

If what I find next test is the main source of ping and stops, it'll be another engineering fail for the DE series VQ that has not been addressed. I'll be able to rub that one in my Tribologists face too lol.

I've been hearing more owners complain about this low rpm pinging, so you and I are not alone for what that's worth.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 PM
my car is ready, gonna pick it up in the morning with a new motor ftw

Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need some clarification please!

I have read many posts regarding the OC issue. My 04, bought it in 5/2004, has 70K and I have noticed the OC since the car was new. About every 4-5K, I add a quart of oil. Other than that, I really don't have any issues with the engine.

Does my car fall into the TSB category? I plan to keep my car for some time since I just bought a new set of tires, flushed my tranny, changed the belts. Should I be concerned with the excessive OC?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad1
I have read many posts regarding the OC issue. .....

Does my car fall into the TSB category?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 PM
got my car back with a new long block. they actually had to take the old engine apart to verify the problem so infiniti would warranty it. They did wet and dry compression tests.

Dry compression 170, 166, 130, 155, 145, 160
Wet compression 180, 178, 175, 180, 178, 180

they found worn piston rings, scored valve train and scored cam journals.

so the moral of the story is warranty ftmfw when buying used cars..lol...although this was covered on the factory powertrain warranty...just barely

Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the TSB only applies if you are within factory warranty, right?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Believe so, unless your OC had been documented prior to power-train warranty expiration, then think they still must honor warranty on that issue regardless.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any advice for my situation??

I have a 05 6MT. I took it in for the oil change and oil consumption tests. ($50 and 3 hours later is a rip off for something I do for $20 and 20 minutes) Anyhow, I bring my car back at 1000 miles and they say the oil is at the full level. I used synthetic previously so I kind of thought (I know stupid), that it was due to the synthetic oil. Well I figured I would just go back to regular oil. I go to change my oil today and I check it and I am low. This time I looked very closely to the dipstick. They marked it two different times by scratching it. One line above the H level and one right below the H level where the gauge starts, about 7 mm apart. I am thinking they overfilled it the first time, marked it and then read it from the wrong place the second time. so I took it in. I am now 3750 past the original oil change and about 2600 past when they checked it last. First they give me attitude about the fact that I came in at 2500 miles after the last check instead of the 1000 that they said to. They do the check and they tell me I am down 1.8 quarts but I went to many miles for them to tell anything and they have to start the consumptions tests again.

Can they not use the millage chart?? Also how many mm is 1.8 quarts and why aren't they using the mm measurement like I thought they where supposed too.

I will do what they need me to if it gets me a new engine, but I was kind of hoping they consumption would stop with regular oil.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 AM
6MT Coupe
^ You can return for level check between 1000-3750 miles, while in offical OC testing per TSB.

24mm = 1qt

Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new TSB?

My '05 6MT has been showing signs of oil consumption, it's always been on the bad side of the chart whenever I have checked. I took it in for an oil change to get started, then had it checked at 1000 miles. Even though it should have failed by my measurements, they said it passed. It's now been 3500 miles since that check and I'm at 25mm (below the scale). I wouldn't normally let it get that low, but I didn't want to throw off the test and wasn't able to make it to the dealer again because of their limited hours.

I called to get them to check it again and they said that they now need 3 checks at 1000 mile intervals, starting from a fresh oil change. Furthermore, they won't accept the fill-up they did to start it, they want me to have them do another oil change. They mentioned nothing of this last time I brought it in.

I talked to another dealer and they said they would at least do it without an initial oil change.

This is getting to be a real pain and is costing a lot of time and money (especially with trying to keep the thing filled with Mobil 1).

Admittedly, I didn't dig through the whole 60+ pages of this thread, but has anyone else come across this new procedure? Anyone have a new copy of the TSB?

~Chris

Old 11-28-2009, 12:14 AM
6MT Coupe
^ Here:
INFINITI G35 OC 5-20-08 ITB08-002c.pdf

I've posted it many times in here, but they're buried and understand hunting would take a long time post by post, page by page.
OP still has never updated original TSB on first post with any revisions that were made. This is the second revision and current one in force to date since May 2008.

I brought mine back when it was a quart low at ~2300 miles. Test wasn't deemed void. Had TSB in my back pocket too every time at dealer during this issue. They knew better to pull that on me about the mileage thing, but was ready if they tried...

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-28-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: added: I brought mine back.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB