TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tragedycat
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but second engine? Geez. I wonder what we're all going to do once these cars start falling out of powertrain warranty. That was a huge risk I decided to take in buying another G35 after my last one got wrecked. Hoping it doesn't come back and bite me in the butt.
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
oh sheeyat..!! let us know what happens.. i have 400mi on my car since the motor swap.. i haven't checked the oil yet.. i will check it at 1000mi when i take it in for the first oil change..
Thanks guys. Got a call from the dealer this morning. They said the good news is that they don't have to charge me their $120 inspection fee (which means that it's Infiniti/Nissan's fault and not mine) and the bad news is they can't find anything wrong with my car, so they decided to change the oil without my permission and without measuring it like I told them to (and like they told me they would). They also did not know why all the coolant was gone, so they just decided to fill it back up and told me to come pick up my car since it magically started up this morning and runs.

Decided to file a 4th claim with ICA after that phone call from the dealer. Will hear back from them in the next couple days. They told me to leave the car at the dealer.

I don't feel confident even starting the car up, let alone driving it around hoping it doesn't randomly cut out on me and lose control of the car again.

57,009 miles on the car and the car has had the following failures/replacements:

2 engines,
2 transmissions,
6 Bose radio systems,
2 clutch/flywheel failures,
3 window motors,
2 door actuators,
2 throttle bodies,
2 MAF sensors,
2 sets of suspension springs,
5 sets of tires due to tires feathering from faulty springs (I drive conservatively),
3 sets of brake pads due to major uneven wear from the Brembo calipers

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have to organize my records and figure out all the other failures that I can't recall.

Last edited by SaintRedRocket; 01-21-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
wut year is it... ? i have had many issues with mine too.. an '05... it's on the "what do i hate about my g35" thread..

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
wut year is it... ? i have had many issues with mine too.. an '05... it's on the "what do i hate about my g35" thread..
2004 coupe 6mt

Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM
you have an 03... what kind of warranty do you have..?
I purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty. It's good until 100K

Anyone know which Infiniti I can get my headlights replaced under warranty?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
100k or how many years..? Riverside infinii. Take it there , talk to Jeremy

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ are u serious?

i've never heard of that warranty

did u buy extended or buy ur car @ riverside?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Guys,

I am close to hitting the 1000 mile break in period on my new engine.
The car is reading normally on the dipstick.

Just wondering how long you guys waited before switching over to synthetic.
I was thinking one more oil change using regular dino oil and then on the next one switching to synthetic?

Any advice?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I switched to mobil 1 synthetic at first oil change after replacement and have done a few more since then. So far no problems. The oil level is usually down about 2-3 mil in between oil changes. Quite a difference from my previous motor that would be down about 12-14 mil.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by deafsun
I switched to mobil 1 synthetic at first oil change after replacement and have done a few more since then. So far no problems. The oil level is usually down about 2-3 mil in between oil changes. Quite a difference from my previous motor that would be down about 12-14 mil.
same here, at least for now *thumbs crossed*

Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Picked my car up from the dealer today. The ICA rep handling my case called me and left a message at about 630am PST and asked me to call her back. I called her 10 times today and she refused to call me back or take my phone call.

Instead, she called the dealer and told them to start a SECOND set of oil consumption tests and to come back in 1,000 miles.

According to the Infiniti technician, there was ZERO oil on the dipstick when he checked it. Apparently my service guy lied to me about getting approval from Infiniti Corp, so to cover his *** he tried to pull a fast one on me.

Met with the service manager when I picked up my car and told him the situation. Took the car home and I can already smell the oil burning. Getting all my papers together this weekend. Hopefully I don't have to file a few lawsuits next week..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by SaintRedRocket
Picked my car up from the dealer today. The ICA rep handling my case called me and left a message at about 630am PST and asked me to call her back. I called her 10 times today and she refused to call me back or take my phone call.

Instead, she called the dealer and told them to start a SECOND set of oil consumption tests and to come back in 1,000 miles.

According to the Infiniti technician, there was ZERO oil on the dipstick when he checked it. Apparently my service guy lied to me about getting approval from Infiniti Corp, so to cover his *** he tried to pull a fast one on me.

Met with the service manager when I picked up my car and told him the situation. Took the car home and I can already smell the oil burning. Getting all my papers together this weekend. Hopefully I don't have to file a few lawsuits next week..
wut dealer are u taking it to..?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe

In a nut-shell from reading your first post on your situation: The dealer screwed up seeing it at 1000mi almost a quart down (20mm) and 'NOT' topping you off, while telling you to come back many miles later when first oil change due. They've been trying to cover their a$$ since with that screw-up.

I say do one more OC test with them. I'm sure it'll consume more now with the internal damage 'they' have caused.

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-23-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Same thing happened to me except they blamed by catback exhaust for the OC. Lawsuit is now in progress. Hopefully you wont have to go that route. Goodluck!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Hey guys,

I also started my OC test recently at Riverside Infiniti...Only about 500 miles in..

It doesn't look like they put any zip tie or anything on the dip stick. If anyone has done the OC test at Riverside Infiniti please let me know if they put anything on the dipstick to prove it has been tampered with? I am interested in looking at the amount of oil that has been consumed within the first 500 miles.

Also wanted to confirm that the best idea is bring the car back after 1000mi and before 1499mi? (So to pretty much bring the car back in the 1400mi range).

Thanks in advance...

Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
If you've been checking your oil to this point, you'd already know approximately how much you'll burn in 500 miles. You just need the dealer to know what you already know.

I used to burn two quarts every 500 miles. So I went back in right after 1000 (twice) so they could see the thing was just about completely empty, and they ordered my new VQ35.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB