TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Taking my 06 in today at 58XXX miles, going to try to get infiniti of kansas city to replace my motor. Hopefully everything works out, the manager was giving me crap for my exhaust and intake and clutch as if that had stuff to do with it.

Any suggestions for ensuring infiniti wont screw me out of a new motor if the motor is in fact an oil burner? I have seen the low oil level twice since owning the thing in less than 3k miles... finally decided to take it in for the check...

Also, friggen $92 for a synthetic oil change??? SERIOUSLY???

Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Taking my 06 in today at 58XXX miles, going to try to get infiniti of kansas city to replace my motor. Hopefully everything works out, the manager was giving me crap for my exhaust and intake and clutch as if that had stuff to do with it.

Any suggestions for ensuring infiniti wont screw me out of a new motor if the motor is in fact an oil burner? I have seen the low oil level twice since owning the thing in less than 3k miles... finally decided to take it in for the check...

$92!!! My dealer charges about $40 they use a synthetic blend. I'd love to change it myself but I gave up my garage along with the house to my ex

If she doesn't show significant oil loss within the 1000 miles of the oil consumption test you will probably have a hard way to go getting a new short block.

Good Luck

Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 06g35meister

My dealer chargers ~50 for synthetic blend and ~100 for synthetic.
I bring in my own synthetic oil while I am still under warranty and they charger ~30 for labor.
Try that if you want to save some moolah

Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzking
My dealer chargers ~50 for synthetic blend and ~100 for synthetic.
I bring in my own synthetic oil while I am still under warranty and they charger ~30 for labor.
Try that if you want to save some moolah
Yeah usually I have brought in my own oil and it was $13 for the change and like $6 for the filter. No problems there. Should have bought my own oil this time, but I was REALLY anxious to get it in after how low I was on the last change.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
=/ This makes me unsure that I want a G35/6MT now. The G35's i'm looking at are either from a private sale or a dealer with around 50k-75k miles.

Does this mean I'd be out of warranty and out of luck in case i get a revup motor that's burning too much oil? I'd hate to have to top up a quart of oil between oil changes, that just doesn't seem "normal" to me.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm totally heartsick learning about this issue just a few days into ownership of my 6MT 06 Coupe. It only has 34k on it now, but I plan on driving it 500+ miles a week for work. I just did the first oil change yesterday and it was low which lead me to finding this thread.

Does anyone know how long Infiniti will warranty the motor? What's my best course of action here? Just take it to the dealer for another oil change and start this horrific process.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ I've heard 12mo/12Kmi from some here and on my350z main OC thread but, not sure the circumstances or reason for that short warranty period. Hell, many re-built/remanufactured engines these days usually have a 3yr/30Kmi. 12mo/12K is fricken retarded and reminds me of the 1970's-80's-90's.

My 2006 6MT revup was replaced back in 2008 and still fell under the 6yr/70K factory powertrain warranty.

I've heard members who have bought used G's also buying a factory extended warranty like a 7yr/100K. That may be your best bet and worth the investment cost.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamy
I'm totally heartsick learning about this issue just a few days into ownership of my 6MT 06 Coupe. It only has 34k on it now, but I plan on driving it 500+ miles a week for work. I just did the first oil change yesterday and it was low which lead me to finding this thread.

Does anyone know how long Infiniti will warranty the motor? What's my best course of action here? Just take it to the dealer for another oil change and start this horrific process.
If you car is still under warranty, take it in for Infiniti to do an oil change and start the oil consumption TSB.

I was told that the powertrain warranty was 6yr/60k miles? I have an '06 and I have 56k miles on it now and it'll be 6 years old in August.

I took it to start the oil consumption TSB about 1400 miles ago and haven't gotten around to being able to take it in for the the final check. I checked the oil this morning and it was about half way down in the hashmarked area of the dipstick. Hopefully I'll get a new motor!!!! lol

Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Infiniti is screwing a lot of people when it comes to replacing obvious faulty engines so here it is.

In my experience in getting my oil consumption test started I did my research and came up to a conclusion.

If you REALLY want a new engine, listen closely. Keep in mind that the new engine may not be as good as the original in terms of oil consumption. Some have been reported to burn MORE oil. The replacement is only warrantied for 10k miles.

Not only are they denying obvious faulty engines, dealerships will STILL make money when an owner initiates an oil consumption test by charging the oil change fee which is required to initiate the oil consumption test per TSB.

Once the stealership agrees to initiate the oil consumption test and changes your oil, BE SHURE THAT THEY DO NOT OVERFILL THE ENGINE OIL. Before taking ownership and after the oil has been changed and stilling for at least 30 minutes, check the oil lever before yourself before starting or accepting the vehicle. Overfilling is how an stealership can cheat you of a new engine. An extra quart of oil added is a lot cheaper for Infiniti than replacing your engine. Come back after 1k miles and check the oil religiously after it has been sitting for 30 minutes.

During that first 1k miles, keep the revs high, downshift when coming to a stop/engine brake, go to the track, stay out of 6th gear, etc. Every VQ will burn at constant higher revs. Almost guaranteed, but they don't tell you that. Since you are now driving a little harder with more revs than usual, this is where check it as much as possible comes in. check it yourself at 500. if you have done everything right, you should see some significant loss of oil with your dipstick readings. If the is a dangerously low lovel of oil within 1k, take it to the dealer immediately.

Before that 1k mile check, check the oil yourself after it has been sitting cold. Compare your results to what the stealership records. DO NOT LET THE DEALER PERFORM THE OIL CHECK WITHOUT YOU THERE. Witness the dealer pull the dipstick and have him show you the results right there. Have the TSB in your hand and compare the official results with the TSB right there.

Last edited by Jairen; 03-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
if you are burning oil the best option is to SELL YOUR CAR. Get rid of of flawed rev-up bulls*** motor. They will only replace the bottom end of the motor. They might even tell you it was designed by a new manufacture and that they improved their piston rings blah blah. I have a new short block and i am still burning oil and will always be. Im selling my G for a 335i. If you don't want to switch manufactures just get a g37.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I still can't figure this out, I have one of the very first "rev-up" motors and I now have 107,000 miles on it. It still uses no more than a 1/2 qt in 7500 miles. Even when I did the Raging Bull Texas Stampede, three solid days of VERY hard driving, in the hills and sometimes even on a track. Over 1200 miles of it. Never has mine used more than a 1/2 qt in 7500 miles.

The following users liked this post:
HenryLee (03-09-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
So went in for the ... Can't keep track of how many oc tests I have done. Anyways. I failed the last one at 2000miles with 15mm. They had changed oil pan (topped off) and asked me to come back in 1000 miles. So I did. They told me it was normal? The Service Director was present as well? I was like "ammm... aren't you going to measure it?" - even had my paper ruler available to hand out. Well they kept staring at me wide eyed?. After 15 minutes of arguing (referring to the TSB procedures etc) they did a measurement (highly unscientific - the whole shop it seems took turns at guessing the level. At home I did one earlier in the morning with my trusty paper ruler and came up with 20mm below. Well they said it was 7mm. I was like are you kidding me? So they waited for 15 more minutes and then said 10mm. I was like good. Check your TSB (they asked me to mail them the copy I had, but eventually one of the service managers gound the TSB online - What? I thought they had internal computers and stuff). Anways, got told my the service director and my service manager that they are going to order a new engine by the end of the week.

Seeing as how little these guys knew about the TSB process, I have no idea if I am getting a long block or short block but I am glad this thing is getting closer to the finnish line.

Note: Even though I love my car. I think I'll be custom ordering a 2013 S4 or 335m pretty soon. (from what i have heard BMW service is even worse, but atleast it'll all be covered.

Good Luck to all.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
@Trix...G37's have a TSB on OC within a VIN # range...just sayin.

@Tex...you got a good one (longblock?) My 2008 longblock has ~43Kmi and still only burns .75 - 1.0 qts/5k miles no matter how it's driven. So it's livable in my book, although wish I still had my original heads. Ones they gave me on my replacement are a POS with high nickel wear day one via UOA's. Just a matter of time my top-end will fail. In the mean-time, having fun with mine till top-end goes b00m.

@kasher...your Dealer playing DUMB hoping you'll accept their BS and go home. All dealers know exactly where and how to look up TSB's on their system. Good to hear you stuck to your guns. Knowledge is power. Current TSB is a short-block unless they do a tear-down and discover the valvetrain is done too, only then a long-block.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
i need to rebuild my engine do to the OC... went to the dealer and the service manager played stupid even when i brought up the TSB.

what needs to be replaced if i wanna re build?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Am i the only one that doesn't want to take there car in for a OC test? Just HATE letting the stealership touch my car. But I've been watching my car's oil level frequently and I dont seem to be loosing oil for me to notice.

Change my oil every 5k w/ Mobile 1 0w30. But then again mines an 06 6mt w/ 40k and most of these engines dont burn oil til after 60k seems like. My car's warrantees up this spring so I dont know if its something i should check anyways.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB