TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Beebo
i need to rebuild my engine do to the OC... went to the dealer and the service manager played stupid even when i brought up the TSB.

what needs to be replaced if i wanna re build?

Did u show the tsb to then? Is your car still in warranty?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm going to be taking my car in for the followup next week sometime. I'm well past the 1000 mile mark but the TSB shows the range for up to 3750 miles.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by DGrantG
Did u show the tsb to then? Is your car still in warranty?
yes but the car is out of powertrain warranty

Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting short block

Got call from service director today. Said they'll be ordering short block At this point I have no energy to fight for a long block. I will have to settle for whatever at this point. Like I said I am planning on getting a new s4\335 m sport (as soon as i can order one) so i am not so concerned anymore. I know if I trade the car the dealer won't care about something like this but I a wondering what you guys think the private party effect of a new engine block be? Do you think a prospective buyer will be happy that the issue is addressed or just worried that the car has a new engine (if I hadn't known so much about the issue I would probably avoid a car with a new engine... just wondering what others think?)

Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
I like the thought of a new engine but afraid with incompetent technicians at infiniti and their crap shoot skills. A shortblock means they have to dissamble the heads of your old one and move all the timing components over. That is a lot of little things that can go wrong like mating the heads, torque specs, missing little items, stripped bolts or using new parts to freshen up the engine while apart. I would feel a lot better with a complete long block knowing the techs just did an engine swap and not surgery and frankenstein the motors. I like the fact that it will come with 12k miles / 1yr warranty on the short block. As a buyer I would rather have a factory engine that has never been touched and does not consume oil over one that has been ripped apart and put back together to hopefully solve oil consumption that still occures even with 2 or 3 replacements.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
The tsb says a long block. I'm not sure why they aren't following the instructions on the tsb. It could be a matter of the valve stem seals leaking.

And to answer the question about the private party issue. I know if it were my buying the care I would like that it was taken care of by the dealer and it also shows on the dealer records that it was replaced.

I'm taking my car in on Friday to get it checked out. I measured the oil and it's about 8mm low and this was after it sitting for several hours and not just 30 min as the tsb says. I have put around 2000 miles on it since the oil was changed and it's just outside of the range of 11mm.

We'll see what they say. I'm also having them check out a rattle that I have while it's under a load.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tsb says a long block. I'm not sure why they aren't following the instructions on the tsb. It could be a matter of the valve stem seals leaking.
There is an updated TSB that says short block. Can't find it but it should be from Aug 2010 I believe.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kasher_khan
Got call from service director today. Said they'll be ordering short block At this point I have no energy to fight for a long block. I will have to settle for whatever at this point. Like I said I am planning on getting a new s4\335 m sport (as soon as i can order one) so i am not so concerned anymore. I know if I trade the car the dealer won't care about something like this but I a wondering what you guys think the private party effect of a new engine block be? Do you think a prospective buyer will be happy that the issue is addressed or just worried that the car has a new engine (if I hadn't known so much about the issue I would probably avoid a car with a new engine... just wondering what others think?)
I fully understand your concerns.

I was hoping for a long block but they installed a short block.
A jackass installed it and didn't seal the engine properly so it was leaking some oil from around the gasket areas. I took it back after locating the leaking areas myself. They kept the car for about a week took care of the sealing and did an overhaul on the engine. When I got the car back after breaking it in its used about 1/2 quart in 3000 miles. The engine is stronger than its ever been and at idle the engine is whisper quiet.

I'm happy to say its running like a fine watch at the present time with 57k miles.

Good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by kasher_khan
There is an updated TSB that says short block. Can't find it but it should be from Aug 2010 I believe.
Short-block TSB 7-30-10:

ITB08-002d.pdf

The following users liked this post:
VQ35 revv (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I don't get why (from an Infiniti/dealer standpoint) you would use a SB. It's a lot more labor intensive and prone to problems. It seems (to me) that it would cost them (Infiniti) more in the long run.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I don't get why (from an Infiniti/dealer standpoint) you would use a SB. It's a lot more labor intensive and prone to problems. It seems (to me) that it would cost them (Infiniti) more in the long run.
Whatever costs them the least in the short run is beneficial to them.
Chances are less and less people will have warranty as time goes on.
No warranty = having to fix problem at dealership for thousands.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 PM
So I took my car in today for the checkup. Told them that I would like to be present when the tech checked the oil bc I have heard horror stories of blank stares or incompetence on Infiniti's side. The told me that I couldn't go back bc of insurance reasons so I told them to pull it out in the parking lot then. I told them that I had a copy of the TSB with me and that I was familiar with the procedure.

They asked me to sit in the waiting area and they would let the tech know of my request.

I measure my oil before leaving and the level was half way between the H and L or a half quart low and I told them this. It had been sitting for about 4 hours and not the 30 minutes like the TSB says. had about 2500 miles on it since the oil was changed by the dealer.

An hour and a half goes by and they finally come and get me and take me back to the car where they had already conclude the test. The tech tells me that I was low by 22mm and had about 1500 miles on it since the last oil change. I'm not sure if he understood the TSB or not bc I had clearly put 2500 miles on it or maybe he was doing me a favor bc I had my ducks in a row, who knows.

Needless to say I have a short block on order and it should be at the desler by Tueday at the latest.

They're also going to replace my spark plugs and serpentine belts free of labor.

My experience with resolution to this was pleasant and it was at infiniti of cool springs in TN.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
So I took my car in today for the checkup. Told them that I would like to be present when the tech checked the oil bc I have heard horror stories of blank stares or incompetence on Infiniti's side. The told me that I couldn't go back bc of insurance reasons so I told them to pull it out in the parking lot then. I told them that I had a copy of the TSB with me and that I was familiar with the procedure.

They asked me to sit in the waiting area and they would let the tech know of my request.

I measure my oil before leaving and the level was half way between the H and L or a half quart low and I told them this. It had been sitting for about 4 hours and not the 30 minutes like the TSB says. had about 2500 miles on it since the oil was changed by the dealer.

An hour and a half goes by and they finally come and get me and take me back to the car where they had already conclude the test. The tech tells me that I was low by 22mm and had about 1500 miles on it since the last oil change. I'm not sure if he understood the TSB or not bc I had clearly put 2500 miles on it or maybe he was doing me a favor bc I had my ducks in a row, who knows.

Needless to say I have a short block on order and it should be at the desler by Tueday at the latest.

They're also going to replace my spark plugs and serpentine belts free of labor.

My experience with resolution to this was pleasant and it was at infiniti of cool springs in TN.
LUCKY!
My dealership at Kearny Mesa, San Diego only replaced the short block.
Kept the spark plugs and belts...

Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 PM
So I guess I counted my chickens before they hatched...

When I took my car in to start the TSB, they noted an oil leak from one of the oil cooler lines. Well, I was supposed to hear something by tomorrow from them to schedule bringing my car in and hadn't heard so I called them. Left a message and they called back. When they called me back they said that they were still waiting on approval b/c there was note of an oil leak from one of the oil cooler lines and it wasn't fixed. It didn't leak over 1 quart of oil out of that line b/c I have a concrete driveway and there are absolutely no spots in my driveway from my car leaking oil on it.

So I asked her if I should call back on Monday to get an update and she said she would call as soon as she heard something.

I'm actually composing an email to send to the service manager right now.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
holy ****... as I was about to send the email, the dealership calls me... I didn't answer it b/c I'm at work.. I'll call them here in a bit and let you guys know what they had to say lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB