TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No warranty, no work.
That's what I figured. Others have told me to try taking it to the dealership but it is an hour away and not worth the trouble if it is a known dead end.

Originally Posted by syshs
A quart every 1500 miles sounds normal.
Normal for what? I've owned Nissans or Infinitis continuously since 1984 and not a single one of them burned any significant amounts of oil. Ever. And they all went way up over 150k miles. I had a 1976 Jeep Cherokee (the original type) and it was one of the worst vehicles ever made and it did not burn that much oil.

Heck, if a quart every 1500 miles is normal you'd be over 2 quarts low at every recommended oil change!

Anyway, thanks. I'm planning on dumping this thing for an 08 350Z. Very disappointing, I really like my G.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N80
This is a loooong thread. And I'm sure, somewhere deep inside it this question has been answered. But I've got an 06 6MT coupe. I'm the third or fourth owner. Bought it at an Infiniti dealership. It has 89k miles on it. It is now burning oil. About a quart every 1500 miles.

It is out of warranty on time and miles.

So the question is, does Infiniti do anything for you if the warranty is gone?
If you wish you can purchase and extended warranty from an Infiniti dealer. I ended up doing that for my 06 6MT. A quart every 1500 I'm sure will not qualify for engine swap etc. I purchased my car used (47k) 2nd owner & I had my short block replaced at <50K. My car still burns oil about 1/2 quart 1500 miles. Prior to the short block replacement I was burning multiple quarts in less than 1000 miles.

Its the nature of this beast Revup engine from what I understand.

I'm probably going to end up installing an increased capacity oil pan to add an extra quart.

For these cars 89k and 1qt/1500 is not bad I think.

Good luck

Last edited by ajm216; 12-29-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Got my short block installed yay! I get to pick it up this wknd but after driving the g37 for a week, I kind of want a g37s coupe now haha

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
For members not sure exactly how much OC is acceptable or not on the revup, here's the OC chart they use from their TSB. 24mm = 1qt.

I can post the whole TSB page for page like above if anyone wants or as a pdf to down-load. Just let me know....

The following users liked this post:
N80 (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks. I'd read the TSB shortly after I bought this car (77k miles on it) and at the time it was not burning oil as far as I know but I was not checking it since I was changing it every 3500. It had been checked at the dealership for OC back when it had 35 or 40k on it and it was cleared.

Clearly, if this engine is burning 1qt of oil every 1500 miles it is not 'normal' and is clearly heading for an untimely death. Still, even after probably being more than 2 qts low at the last oil change, there have been no symptoms, no CEL and no oil pressure idiot light.

Anyway, I'm looking into options including buying a built engine, or a used 350Z. In the mean time I'll keep dumping oil into this thing. Hope I don't kill it at the track next month.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by ajm216

Well I've put about 1300 miles on the car since picking it up.
I checked the oil at around 1100 miles and it was still at the H mark on the dipstick and the oil was a nice golden color.
I checked it again about a week later the oil is dirty and about at the halfway mark on the dipstick.

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow for them to read the oil level. What's really funny is if I would have taken it in at 1000 everything would have check out okay because the level was still on the H mark. I always check the oil after the car has been sitting for a few hours so that I can get an accurate reading.

I just don't know about this damn car or damn Nissan/Infiniti.
I really wish I would have gotten an M3!!!!!!

So what did the short block accomplish .... Slower Oil consumption?
After I last checked the oil and it was reading between 50% and 75% on the dipstick.

I've been pushing the car more since I'm becoming used to it and I might as well enjoy what I brought this particular car for FUN!!!!! I read the oil level yesterday (1700) and I was expecting it to be unreadable on the dip stick well I was wrong, it was reading about 75% on the dipstick. I was shocked that it was still in a decent place hopefully I can make it to 3500 with oil on the dipstick.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have a 2006 6MT Coupe(june 2006 production) that I purchased in 2008 with 10k miles. The car currently has 57k miles on it. I live in Vienna, Virginia and dealership in question is Infiniti of Tysons corner (for the record, I have had good and bad experiences here).

I asked for an oil consumption test in 2010 and they said it was fine. I asked again in early 2011 and they said it was fine. Finally this past nov, I starting a consumption test and got more involved. The first test at 1000 miles they told me I was good (which is true, because I drove up to Canada over the weekend so I guess it wasn't good test). Next they told me to come back after 2k miles. Which I did today. I was shocked to see that the tech, literally turned the dip stick up side down to check the level (with his eyes) and said it was ok! I was like are you kidding me. I sent him to get a ruler, which he could not find (shocking). He actually printed out a paper ruler from the net (no kidding, I couldn't make this stuff up). So he measured it again (moving the dip stick around like a wand). When I pushed for a more carefully reading, he finally set the paper on the ground (which I helped him hold) and we both measured the reading together in the service area parking lot. It was 15mm below at 2000 miles (10mm acceptable - hence I fail the test). The sales guy told me that they would call corp and let me know. In the mean while they almost topped it off with regular oil when I use synthetic. I already opened a case with corp when I did my first test. I will wait and see what the dealer says (not sure how long corp will take to respond).

So anyways, I feel like I would have failed the test back in 2010 if I had supervised it myself. I did not know that they were now only replacing short blocks as per the latest TSB. I don't know if I can convince them to replace the long block. I guess I am at their mercy. I sure will try. It seems like there is a mixed opinion about the short blocks. Some say it has more power and other say it is as bad as the original. An facts to support\disprove this theory are much appreciated.

So I guess I don't really have a question other then to add my story here. BTW the dealer replaced my transmission under warranty a few months back (second gear lock out). I asked them to check the clutch for wear back then and they said it was fine. Now that I know how carefully they do this kind of work. I am wondering if I have another opportunity to replace my clutch (I am not mechanically inclined, so I am not sure what all I should consider replacing besides clutch? flywheel??). I figured since even for the short block replacement they would probably get to the tranny so I might try to cut a deal on saving labor. I am looking to replace with OEM parts. Is that a good idea, considering my clutch is fine at 57k and no prominent signs of wear or slipping. I figured between the tranny and the short block, if I replace the clutch on a mannual car, I pretty much have a new car?

Also what do people think about extending the warranty beyond the initial, since I am still under warranty should I consider that....

Sorry for the long explanation. Good luck to all and I will report back with my results...

Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
i would consider an extended warranty, also turning the dipstick upside down is the true reading of the oil, all vq's with dipsticks on the side of the motor drain very slow thus the turning of the dipstick. also yea i would have thought about replacing the clutch. you are around 60 k so i would think about when you see signs of slipping clutch flywheel and also the pivot ball.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Another Test!!!!

So, after two weeks of stalling, the inifiniti corp guys wanted me to bring my car to dealership to do some "tests". I dropped it off and was happy to get a 2011 m37 loaner (feels like a hotel inside - but drives like one too . Anyhoo, I got called back and the service manager told me that the oil pan screws were not secure and they thought the oil was leaking... (I call BS and the Service advisor sort of agreed). But he said he had to do another test. They didn't charge me for the oil change. I am to bring the vehicle back in 1000 miles (this will be my 4th test).

BTW: when i got my car back this time, there was a small scratch on the bottom of the steering wheel leather rim. I took it back and complained about it. The service manager agreed to have it repaired... (I don't know how they'll do it but I overheard the conversation with their "expert" and he said $250 for the patch job. Oh well .. wait and see...

Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This has probably been said already.... But what is preventing people from draining out a bit of oil to make it look like oil consumption?

Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ35 revv
This has probably been said already.... But what is preventing people from draining out a bit of oil to make it look like oil consumption?

People pull out oil all the time using a syringe or pump.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Technically they are suppose to use a tamper seal on the drain plug and ziptie the dipstick tube.....do they really do that?????

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzking
People pull out oil all the time using a syringe or pump.
Is that so.......

Originally Posted by faiz23
Technically they are suppose to use a tamper seal on the drain plug and ziptie the dipstick tube.....do they really do that?????
and Im not sure... anyone know?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by VQ35 revv
Is that so.......

and Im not sure... anyone know?
They definitely seal the oil cap on the top (I am sure the bottom is the same). The dipstick however is not (I guess so we can check our own oil - and I do). I would know I have done this test a few times now. they are not very scientific about checking it either (read my post above about paper ruler).

I picked up my car today. The steering wheel bottom looks like it was heavily buffed to remove the scratches. I bet I could have done a better job. The guy told me that it should get better with "natural oils" - from my hand. I am sure ! I told him I wasn't satisfied so he told me that we can review it when I come back for the oil test.

I checked my oil today and it seems to be around 2mm low with only 100miles since the last change... I am pretty sure I can make it to 10mm or so by the next 900... (hard to check new oil with our cars).

will post an update when I get to the dealer.

BTW: Went to the DC auto show this weekend. didn't like the new 335 (f30). might consider the new s4 though (sweet ride).

Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Update on my Oil Consumption Issue

Its been touch and go since I had the short block swapped over the summer.

I've driven the car 1700 miles since the dealer last had the car to do an engine overhaul and it was about 3/4 between L#########H.
I've been driving the car like a sports car when conditions permit. I checked the oil over the weekend 2200 @ miles and it was pretty much in the same spot as when I checked it at 1700.
I was actually shocked to see that.

I feel pretty confident that she'll make it to 3500 and have a decent oil level.

Last edited by ajm216; 02-08-2012 at 10:55 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB