TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, that sucks man. I'd hate to be in your shoes. It's tough enough to get the new motor with a FACTORY warranty.

Good luck though... start saying some prayers!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe if u let the motor blow they will replace it..lol

but idk like shdowflare said...good luck

Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 AM
This may be noob but im gonna ask anyway....

I have an 06 rev up 6mt, and when i was getting my clutch replaced the mechanic said he is hearing some "weird noises" and i qualify for a new engine, then they said i dont because when the warranty transfered to my name there was a preexisting condition and they said they wouldnt cover it. (the service rep who promised me the engine got fired a week later). The mechanic never told me what was wrong with the car though...

so my question is... am i just supposed to go up to my dealership and say "hey i want to test for oil consumption problems"??

i dont notice any "noises" or anything with the car and i dont know how to tell if i would qualify for the engine replacement after the screwed me over the 1st time. ive only had my car for about 4k miles now

Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Are you consuming oil? Have you checked yourself? Does it fall into the 'no good' category on the TSB here?

If all above is yes, then ask dealer to start oil consumption testing on yours while still under factory power train warranty.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
i dont know why people think its ok to not check the oil...lol

Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Lol yea I just checked it and it's below L, the coolant is empty too. Lol I feel like a neglectful parent now. So below L and it's been 3.5k miles or something. I'll check the chart to see if it falls into the no good category

Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
should be close to NG

i think i need to check mine..make sure the new motor is doing ok

Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Alot of ppl are saying you should watch them like a hawk when they are messing with your car but they won't let me back there saying insurance wont allow it. So idk how I'm supposed to know if they over fill it or not ? Especially if they zip tie it so I can't check the dip stick

Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^^when goin thru the test they ziptie the dipstick so u cant check it urself?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
yay my dipstick is still at the top..lol

Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
^^g6spd its good to know that replacement engine isnt giving you any problems. I hope thats the case with everyone.

and theres no zip tie on the dipstick so I'm guessing I can check it myself without them magically knowing. I told the service guy I wanted to go back there and after they finished to check the dipstick and his eyes almost popped out, he was like no you shouldn't even touch it when you get home or anything... and I'm not certain why he got so defensive, but I hope they don't pull that overfilling crap on me especially since they won't let me back there

Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi there, this is my first post. I've been looking at purchasing a used G35 sedan the last couple months. These cars just cannot be beat in the "bang for the buck" aspect. But now, after reading 20 or so pages of OC horror stories I'm having second thoughts... Does the 6yr/70,000k power train warranty follow the car, or is it exclusive to the original owner? Right now I've got my eye on an '05 MT with 46,000 miles on it. The current owner is the 2nd owner of the car, would I have any issues if I took the car to the stealership for OC related issues?

Originally Posted by duelper4mance
Anyone had experience with 3rd party warranties and the oil consumption issue? I bought a 2 year, 24k mile warranty from my credit union for my G by a company called Members Choice Autocare. I bought the car with 92k miles on it, and I think it may have an Oil Consumption problem. Checked the oil 500 miles after getting it, and oil wasn't even registering on the dipstick. Had to add 1.5 quarts. Just wondering if the warranty company is going to try and pull a fast one saying that the issue was pre-existing, or whatever else they might try... Or will this be just like a factory warranty?
+1 on this question as my credit union also offers the same type of deal. Thanks! Tons of great info you guys have on this board btw!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:52 PM
wow i am glad i saw this thread i just picked up an '06 6mt sedan with 39k miles on it. my warranty will be up in aug. i will keep a sharp eye on my oil level.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Badboy8813
wow i am glad i saw this thread i just picked up an '06 6mt sedan with 39k miles on it. my warranty will be up in aug. i will keep a sharp eye on my oil level.
You should have 2 years left on the powertrain warranty as it's 6 years from my understanding.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by -red97rum-
Hi there, this is my first post. I've been looking at purchasing a used G35 sedan the last couple months. These cars just cannot be beat in the "bang for the buck" aspect. But now, after reading 20 or so pages of OC horror stories I'm having second thoughts... Does the 6yr/70,000k power train warranty follow the car, or is it exclusive to the original owner? Right now I've got my eye on an '05 MT with 46,000 miles on it. The current owner is the 2nd owner of the car, would I have any issues if I took the car to the stealership for OC related issues?

+1 on this question as my credit union also offers the same type of deal. Thanks! Tons of great info you guys have on this board btw!
I'll be honest with you .. I bought my 06 in September and brought it to the dealer because I was hearing "spark knock" or "ping" under load at low RPM .. by chance and from reading on this forum I discovered the OC issue .. just this Saturday I got my car back with the new motor (block) and it's COMPLETELY worth the hassle if you ask me .. if you ARE covered under the warranty or have an extended I would say to NOT let this OC nonsense deter you from owning such a great car .. even though I'm going through the break in process now and cannot really get on the engine, I feel like the car is tighter, the compression seems a million times better, the pedal feels like it's actually pushing POWER as opposed to the crap I was going through .. take this thread with a grain of salt and us it as a way to keep your eye open and to make sure you're on top of the car's maintenance but DON'T let what's been written here stop you from putting that smile on your face when you hear that VQ exhaust note good luck bro and I hope everything works out for you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB