TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can this happen at any time (mileage)? I've been checking the dipstick and now with 3K miles since the last oil change it's only 8mm down, which happily fits in the 'good' range.

I've got 17K miles total on the car now, but could this issue still be a problem for me later? I hope I am one of the lucky ones....

Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Within powertrain warranty yrs/mi which ever comes first. After that, it's your $$.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Skyline GT - My question was if all is good with my engine now, would something change so that excess consumption could possibly happen later after the warranty is up? Does it gradually get worse or happen quickly? I'm considering an extended warranty, which will be cheaper if I buy before I get to 20K miles. Due to my mileage, I'll hit the warranty time limit before the miles.

I've only had the car for 3 months and haven't taken it on a long hot road trip yet. I've previously had a 91 G20 and a 96 Maxima, both of which consumed a lot less oil than my G35, which seems to be on an appetite of about 1 quart per 7-8K miles. Good, but not great. I just don't have the history with this car yet to know if consumption has been increasing.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys I have an 05 6mt Coupe I have been hearing unusual noise that sounds like ticking... while driving I can hear the noise ecko in certain places. I call my SM at the dealer and tell him about this and then I mention the problem people are having with The oil Consumption And he became like defensive immediately telling me that I don't have this problem because they just did an oil change on the 04/23/09 Last friday and that the tech would of told him that my oil was super low or that my car was making noises And then he start checking for dates that My car had been late for oil changes suggesting that this could the reason my car is making noises.. So I know from the start that it may be an up hill battle with this, And my car has about 66,000 miles on it with warranty almost up. I think he knows this because he says "why don't you bring it back when the next oil change is due(yeah right So they can tell me that it's no longer warranty) So I said to him No I can't do that because My car has 66,000 miles in which he state "O yeah" Well we don't have much time to waste"..SO then I requested to do the OC test and he said okay since you were here last Friday Why don't we start from that date and you bring it back at 66,7771. (1000 miles later)

Well my question would be is this accurate for me to take his word over the phone and not drive down to where the Delership is and get an actual reading..what do you guys think??

Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Oops...double post...

Last edited by Jairen; 04-29-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Looks like I may need some help...

I just checked my oil level. It's now at the halfway mark. I have only driven 1000 miles from the day I bought it. It also started making strange noises that I know for fact wasn't there when I bought it.

I called Carlsbad Infinity. They are more than willing to do the OC test. BUT...I must provide them with a complete history of Oil Changes. I do not have the service records. I got My car from a well know Nissan Dealership.

Am I screwed?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jairen
I called Carlsbad Infinity. They are more than willing to do the OC test. BUT...I must provide them with a complete history of Oil Changes. I do not have the service records. I got My car from a well know Nissan Dealership.

Am I screwed?
They can look up the VIN and there's a chance the previous oil changes were done at an Infiniti dealer. Reading this thread, some dealers don't ask for history. If Carlsbad denies you, I'd call/drive to Kearny Mesa or Escondido or wherever and see what they say.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by MarkG
Thanks Skyline GT - My question was if all is good with my engine now, would something change so that excess consumption could possibly happen later after the warranty is up? Does it gradually get worse or happen quickly?

I'm considering an extended warranty, which will be cheaper if I buy before I get to 20K miles. Due to my mileage, I'll hit the warranty time limit before the miles.

I've only had the car for 3 months and haven't taken it on a long hot road trip yet. I've previously had a 91 G20 and a 96 Maxima, both of which consumed a lot less oil than my G35, which seems to be on an appetite of about 1 quart per 7-8K miles. Good, but not great. I just don't have the history with this car yet to know if consumption has been increasing.
That's a hard call. Maybe others can share about theirs.
I only know my original VQ never got better, but never got worse either. It was the same OC day one new until it was finally replaced at ~28Kmi.

I bought extended, glad I did. It's piece of mind for me having that. You just never know now-a-days, like this revup VQ issue. Plus not a clue if my TSB replacement will still be doing as well far down the road.
Originally Posted by alnk52
Hey guys I have an 05 6mt Coupe I have been hearing unusual noise that sounds like ticking... while driving I can hear the noise ecko in certain places. I call my SM at the dealer and tell him about this and then I mention the problem people are having with The oil Consumption And he became like defensive immediately telling me that I don't have this problem because they just did an oil change on the 04/23/09 Last friday and that the tech would of told him that my oil was super low or that my car was making noises And then he start checking for dates that My car had been late for oil changes suggesting that this could the reason my car is making noises.. So I know from the start that it may be an up hill battle with this, And my car has about 66,000 miles on it with warranty almost up. I think he knows this because he says "why don't you bring it back when the next oil change is due(yeah right So they can tell me that it's no longer warranty) So I said to him No I can't do that because My car has 66,000 miles in which he state "O yeah" Well we don't have much time to waste"..SO then I requested to do the OC test and he said okay since you were here last Friday Why don't we start from that date and you bring it back at 66,7771. (1000 miles later)

Well my question would be is this accurate for me to take his word over the phone and not drive down to where the Delership is and get an actual reading..what do you guys think??
TSB admits there's a OC common problem with these. Dealer can go pound sand on that excuse as the cause. Maintenance shed in manual under 'normal op condition' is every 7500mi. Technically you don't have to service oil/filter every 3750mi.

I wouldn't. Verbal anything holds no water. If dealer said OC testing started with last service and return in 1000mi verbally, get that documented in writing on an official service order stating such. Then will also be in their system which follows TSB = official proof of issue 'during' warranty. Otherwise you could be SOL if not doc'd prior to warranty expiration.

Your dealer sounds iffy with your post and I see games from them starting already. Study TSB, understand it 1000%, make it work for you not them. Watch them like a hawk in all respects, your G physically as well.

G/L
Originally Posted by Jairen
Looks like I may need some help...

I just checked my oil level. It's now at the halfway mark. I have only driven 1000 miles from the day I bought it. It also started making strange noises that I know for fact wasn't there when I bought it.

Am I screwed?
They can look up the VIN and there's a chance the previous oil changes were done at an Infiniti dealer. Reading this thread, some dealers don't ask for history. If Carlsbad denies you, I'd call/drive to Kearny Mesa or Escondido or wherever and see what they say.
True on VIN look-up. Again if within 7500mi, they can pound sand.

You reminded me there is something in TSB about having past records or not. Off the top of my head (don't have TSB with me right now), don't remember 'not' having those as an issue and grounds for TSB testing denial or warranty replacement denial either. They just follow a different procedure in starting OC testing and TSB end results are the same with or without past service records according to OC consumption chart.

Thanks for that reminder. I'm asked about that many times on other OC threads here and on other forums

Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Thanks for that reminder. I'm asked about that many times on other OC threads here and on other forums
Hey, no prob! And thanks for your latest advice.

I only have 3K miles on mine since I bought it, and I do my own maintenance and oil changes instead of the dealer as this car's previous history has been. I've already done tranny & diff (nasty @ 15K!) fluids and I want to keep an eye on this issue in case I need to take it back. Honestly, I've almost never taken a car back to the dealer for anything but this would be a big issue if it materializes. Just trying to get a feel for how quick and severe (or not) this might happen. But I'm guessing you should know within the first 20K miles if there's a problem. That's where I'm at.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
6MT Coupe
^Even if you do your service DIY (I do mine too since my replacement for accurate UOA sample reasons), I'd save those receipts just in case down the road dealer wants to be an asshat, even though TSB says different. One less battle with them if they request those. Call the dealer out too many times with their BS and they can become jerks

-edit-
Your current OC is not bad at all really for a revup. Hope it doesn't worsen over time.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
^Even if you do your service DIY (I do mine too since my replacement for accurate UOA sample reasons), I'd save those receipts just in case down the road dealer wants to be an asshat, even though TSB says different.
Yes, for sure. I plan on doing a UOA after my second OCI to get a better handle on the engine health.

Your current OC is not bad at all really for a revup. Hope it doesn't worsen over time.
I'm not complaining, but the OC could have been increasing and the previous owner decided it was time to pass it on. I'm just trying to gauge if there is a problem and/or make an extended warranty purchase decision based on my limited history and low miles.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
6MT Coupe
Yes, for sure. I plan on doing a UOA after my second OCI to get a better handle on the engine health.
UOA = wise decision. Tells you much more than what the dip stick does.

Keep us posted....

Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by alnk52
Hey guys I have an 05 6mt Coupe I have been hearing unusual noise that sounds like ticking... while driving I can hear the noise ecko in certain places.
According to the TSB they should replace the engine without doing an OC test when there is "unusual engine noise". Mine has the ticking issue too. When I took it in they confirmed the engine was making a ticking sound and that they would order me a new engine. Then the service rep called back and said that when she called Infiniti to order the engine that they wanted an OC test done before replacing. Now I have just hit 1000 miles and the oil on the dipstick is down about 7 to 7.5mm. Just shy of the 8mm mark for 1000 miles. My question is if I just surpass the 8mm mark at say 1200 miles, is that sufficient or would it now have to be at 9mm or greater? Seems to me that the TSB states 8mm is bad up to 1500 miles. So if you don't make it at 1000 then you have 500 more miles to get the 8mm.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Hey, I am looking at a used 05 G35 with 35-40k miles on it, the warranty is gone already. How would I know if that car has an Oil Problem? If I buy an extended warranty from a 3rd party company would they replace the engine after the break in period?

And not all engines are effected right?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Whats wrong with the warranty? They are 6yr 70k on the drivetrain. The oil consumption issue is mainly on the manual transmission cars since they have the Rev-up engines. So if it is automatic then there is less of a chance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB