TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Your paper work will state consumption amount from official OC testing by them. Look at TSB OC chart to see if they're correct...or not.

One dealer I had payed that game on me. Another one thought it'd be cute to over fill starting their official OC testing with me.

Basic English comp would've made your story much easier to read. That hurt my eyes and brain...sry but I tell it like it is. Paragraphs for starters.

Glad all worked out to your favor. Be sure to break it in correctly and change oil/filter often during that time.
ya i wrote it in about 5 minutes, really could care if its easy to read or if anyone reads it at all, just throwing out my story to give people a heads up.
my advice would have been to stop reading as soon as pain occurred...

Old 03-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by sessman
ya i wrote it in about 5 minutes, really could care if its easy to read or if anyone reads it at all, just throwing out my story to give people a heads up.
my advice would have been to stop reading as soon as pain occurred...
I'll remember that next time. G/L with your grammer school book report due tomorrow
And your welcome for the advise on what to do with your new replacement
Have fun wit it....

Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
I'll remember that next time. G/L with your grammer school book report due tomorrow
And your welcome for the advise on what to do with your new replacement
Have fun wit it....
haha thanks im pretty stoked

Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Those who have had oil consumption issues, did your oil tend to get fuel dilution as well?

I just picked up an '06 G35 6MT with 40k miles on it and I've driven about 400 miles in the past few weeks and it looks like the oil level has dropped about 5mm or so, but smells strongly of fuel. The oil looked brand new or very recently changed when I first picked it up. The oil still looks pretty fresh, but the fuel smell alarmed me because it's about as strong as when I was running a vented blow off valve on my SR20DET and shooting flames out the exhaust on track due to the excess fuel on shifts.

BTW, this dipstick is the hardest one I've ever tried to read. It seems to always have some above the actual level, and the actual level doesn't make a nice line on the dipstick.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
6MT Coupe
^Yes fuel dilute is normal with ring blow-by and with break-in on replacements while rings are seating. All my past UOA's prove that in both cases. But to actually smell fuel in the oil...that's 'not' a good sign and is extremely excessive fuel dilute. Start OC testing with dealer.

Dip stick reading is best after sitting overnight or all day at work. First pull is your most accurate and has the best line on stick. Oil on these VQ's like to hang out in the tube a long time and smear all over the stick, making it hard to see actual level even with re-inserting and pulling again. TSB states a time for G to sit before taking reading at dealer. Can't remember without looking, but think it's around 15-30 min. That sit time gives an ok oil level line as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
The TSB states an ideal 30 mins or longer to check the oil, and I've tried waiting at least a few hours but didn't notice much difference. The oil definitely likes to hang out in the tube.

I started the oil consumption test yesterday, so we'll see how it goes in about a month. I hope they don't ziptie the dipstick so I can "double check" the progress.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
6MT Coupe
Luckily, they didn't tie my stick down. I double checked mine as well during testing.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Can those of you that have new engines due to this TSB please pass on the name/location of the dealership that did the testing and engine swap? I have some research to do before I meet with the local GM.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Good luck Defs. Based on my experience, you'll need to monitor eveything they do, particularly what the write on the work orders... make sure the mileage is correct and do your best to return as close to the mileage that they request as possible. If you have maintenance reciepts for all your oil changes, that's a good thing as well.

Don't expect to get any support from Infiniti Consumer Affairs, as they rely on their dealerships to make the call. They have no customer technical assistance either, so it's you and the dealer.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I just purchased the car from a local independent dealer, and there are some records in the Infiniti computer system from another Infiniti dealer, but not what I'd call a complete "service history" that the dealership guys would like.

Are dealerships really in the habit of denying people that fall into the "not good oil consumption range" that can't provide a COMPLETE oil change history? According to the Infiniti Oil Consumption TSB the failure to provide a complete oil change history is not grounds to deny the claim, and the end result is still an engine replacement if there is excessive consumption.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Defs
I just purchased the car from a local independent dealer, and there are some records in the Infiniti computer system from another Infiniti dealer, but not what I'd call a complete "service history" that the dealership guys would like.

Are dealerships really in the habit of denying people that fall into the "not good oil consumption range" that can't provide a COMPLETE oil change history? According to the Infiniti Oil Consumption TSB the failure to provide a complete oil change history is not grounds to deny the claim, and the end result is still an engine replacement if there is excessive consumption.
my service manager said since im the second owner if i couldnt provide the receipts that alone wouldnt be enough to deny a claim, but she said its deffinitly helpful to getting approved

Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM
What if you have aftermarket parts on? like Motordyne MREV2 and 5/16th spacer?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
6MT Coupe
Read many stories over the years good/bad, no problem/big problem. Really depends on your dealer as being mod friendly or not.

Only thing I left on was my cat-back exhaust. Rest was back to oem, but that was my personal 'gut' feeling about my dealer.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Can someone please clarify if the dealer deems that an initial oil change is needed, who pays for that?

Not that paying them for an oil change is breaking the bank on my part, but my reading, and rereading of the TSB has me believing Infiniti would be picking up the tab for an oil change to perform the oil consumption test. Although I will admit the TSB is a bit vague on this, but both the Service Adviser and I think the Service Manager stood by the fact that I'd have to pay for an oil change.

The oil has been changed about 600 miles ago, so I didn't really feel like paying for another change, and wanted to check here and see if that's the real procedure before agreeing to it.

If they were following the TSB exactly they would merely be topping off my oil level and then performing the checks from this mileage, but I didn't want to argue with them about it at this point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB