TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My new engine is on order, It only took me driving 2 hours to a different dealer.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by penelson
Update : Down 10 mm @ 500 miles on the new V2 . Anybody else experience this during their initial break in period ?? I've been a good boy (well 98% mostly) and kept it under 4k rpm/ no WOT , mixed HWY and street driving.
I was down 4.5 mm at 50 miles which I thought at the time was probably normal "soak in" of all the nooks and crannies. Now Imma little worried.....
I just got approved for a new engine!!! After guzzling 1.5 quarts in 1000 miles (Phoenix to Los Angeles roundtrip). How do you KNOW that you got a BRAND NEW engine, not a rebuild one???

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a new engine replacement a few weeks ago and I asked the same question, is the new engine a rebuild?
The answer that I got was that it definitely is a "Brand New" long block engine.
I asked why couldn't they just 'Fix' the problem with a rebuild? He said that the problem is inherent in the engine design so that kind of a repair wouldn't fix the burn problem.
My first engine was at 10mm when it should have been at 7mm at the first 1K mile test, so it got replaced.
I've got 365 miles on it so far and it seems to run okay.
I haven't checked the oil yet, however, at the 1K mile check; I'm going to ask what the burn rate is for the new engine. Just to double check!

Last edited by Aptos936; 06-30-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Did the dealer asked for your oil change records?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, I was never asked for oil change documentation.
I get most of my oil changes at the dealer.
I also get some oil changes from my tuner, Z-car Garage ([url]http://www.zcargarage.com)
They have done and will do all the mod's to my car.
The dealer is aware of the awesome reputation of ZCG in the SF bay area when it comes to maintenance on 'Z' and 'G's.
So push back was non-existent.
After the 1K break-in, I am having ZCG install a Vortech SC, CAI, Stillen headers, Stoptech BBK and a Stillen front bumper.
The dealer said that that's cool, if issues come up bring it back and as long as it isn't a mod issue they will fix it, even the clutch if it goes bad. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
I guess talking to the Infiniti GM makes a difference.
I shared the G35Driver site with him as a possible marketing area. Explaining that he could capture the 'Lost Sheep' in the Infiniti world that need a Mod friendly dealership. He liked that I expressed an interest in his business.
BUT, I'm a sales guy, so I sell to my advantage.
I got a thank you card from him..
That was nice....

Last edited by Aptos936; 06-30-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 6mt and definitely got the oil consumption problem, but my warranty is gone. Do you guys know of anyone who received an engine replacement after their warranty expired? Do I have any other options to receive some kind of compensation or repair? Thanks for your input.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM
my new V2

I'm planning on picking my car up today....if she's ready...with a 'brand new' V2

I'm a little skeptical because I just took her on Monday afternoon.....how can they receive the new engine, swap out the old one, and give her a test drive in just over 2 days?????

I was wondering if there is any way that i can physically tell that the engine is brand new....I want to make sure that the stealership didn't just rebuild the engine.....I want to make sure that I receive the new engine.

Also, anything else that you would recommend for me to discuss with the service manager about the car before I leave???

thanks!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
They wouldn't be able to rebuild it in 2 days.

I got approved last thursday, dropped it off yesterday, and will pick it up tomorrow or friday.

They gave me an 09 G37 sedan auto as a loner and it has a ton of more power than my 05 G35 coupe 6mt.
After comparing dynos on the two, they practically have the same amount of power and torque throughout the whole powerband except between 6k to 7k rpm. This is where the torque is a little higher giving the G37 the extra horsepower.

Having said that, my car should be way more powerful with the new engine compared to the old engine.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Wesco 13
I have a 2004 6mt and definitely got the oil consumption problem, but my warranty is gone. Do you guys know of anyone who received an engine replacement after their warranty expired? Do I have any other options to receive some kind of compensation or repair? Thanks for your input.
I've had a tough time getting my engine replaced....with only 29k miles on her.....good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry

I'm Pissed

I keep getting a hard time with my OC. I got a call today from the dealership that approve my new engine, they and they said the local Infiniti Rep still wants me to have my current engine broke down so it can be inspected. So I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs to see who was the actual person who want the break down, and I was told it was the Infiniti Rep Manager. He reason it because I still have a open case with Nissan North American, in whick my local dealer reported they suppect abuse to my motor, when I reported them to Consumer Affairs. My local dealer also told Nissan North Amercia that I had header on my car which is a lie. IMO Headers are a crap useless you have a built N/A block. The dealer I'm dealing with now wants to replace my motor, but they cant get my new long block until my current is inspected. If they find anything that they might think is abuse I'm stuck paying $1700 for the break down and rebuilt and gaskets.

I don't know to do, because I had a misfire code (P300) because my friend at the Nissan Dealer swapped the #3 and #5 coil pack plug wire, which cause my G to sound like a WRX for a few days. I don't want them to say they can't replace my engine because they feel I caused "enuff damage" in a few days of misfiring, while my G has been dranking oil since 2005.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by citymunky
I'm Pissed

I keep getting a hard time with my OC. I got a call today from the dealership that approve my new engine, they and they said the local Infiniti Rep still wants me to have my current engine broke down so it can be inspected. So I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs to see who was the actual person who want the break down, and I was told it was the Infiniti Rep Manager. He reason it because I still have a open case with Nissan North American, in whick my local dealer reported they suppect abuse to my motor, when I reported them to Consumer Affairs. My local dealer also told Nissan North Amercia that I had header on my car which is a lie. IMO Headers are a crap useless you have a built N/A block. The dealer I'm dealing with now wants to replace my motor, but they cant get my new long block until my current is inspected. If they find anything that they might think is abuse I'm stuck paying $1700 for the break down and rebuilt and gaskets.

I don't know to do, because I had a misfire code (P300) because my friend at the Nissan Dealer swapped the #3 and #5 coil pack plug wire, which cause my G to sound like a WRX for a few days. I don't want them to say they can't replace my engine because they feel I caused "enuff damage" in a few days of misfiring, while my G has been dranking oil since 2005.
Sucks to hear about this man. I have been having a hard time with my local dealership to. They are trying to blame the OC problem on my ztube/pop charger and exhaust . When the service rep told me that i laughed in his face and said Are you really serious??

Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Well I took my car in for the OC test a few weeks ago and now miraculously after 1K miles the level has not dropped from the H line.
Where as when I had the oil change done at ezlube I was 15mm away from the H line after 1500 miles.
Either stealership is overfilling or ezlube underfilled.
Looks like I'll go back to ezlube for next oil change and see what happens.
I'm gonna give em (stealership) hell if they've been overfilling it.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I just started my OC test about a week ago, and I checked it with about 50 miles after the oil change and it was around 3 mm above the H line. Given my past consumption I'm still thinking it'll fail the first 1k mile check up, and if they don't add anymore oil it should definitely fail after that. It sucked up those 3 mm in about 250 miles, so looks like it's on its way to failing.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
to all of you who have failed your OC test and received a new longblock......

have you noticed HORRIBLE gas mileage initially??? I'm getting ~10mpg city driving....and I'm not shifting over 4000rpm....what gives?

Also, after the 'break in' period....what is normal oil consumption??

thanks for your input!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Update: I failed my 2nd OC test last week, Car was low 3 qts in 1000 miles. My service rep said he would talk to whoever is in charge of handling these situations and get back to me on Infiniti's decision. Got a call today from my rep and he told me that Infiniti declined to replace the engine. I am pissed . What do you guys suggest i do next because this is getting ridiculous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB