TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by penelson
1k Update:

1k OC check on ""new" V2 with regular dino. Down 16 mm. I'm confused some peeps say this gets better with break in time, others claim thier OC appears to be worsening with time ? I'm still babying it for beak in (no hard driving/downshifts, etc).
Its going to take at least 5K to break it in. You should notice a trend of losing less oil per 1K interval as it breaks in through your first 2-3 oil changes. I just hit 4K on this oil change (now 13K on the new motor) and only lost about 8 mm over the entire 4K, I was driving fairly "aggressive" the entire 4K on mostly backcountry roads. I did this for OC testing only...I swear.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Push my oil to 4.8K mi. Very low OC rate in the beginning. As the oil got older with more miles, OC rate increased much faster after 3000 mi.

My used oil analysis (UOA) will disclose whether last oil just couldn't handle the normal pounding of the V2 or my revised 're-manned' V2 metallurgy build is going South. Yes I said re-manned. My high quality UOA numbers with professional commentary in past don't lie, but dealers do by saying it's a brand new long block.

OC = 29mm/4800mi. ~12K mi on V2.

And thought I was done with this crap geez -_-
So you're saying the replacement V2 rev ups are just remanufactured engines(the ones that are failing OC testing maybe)?

I'm at about 700 miles on my OC testing and even though the dealer overfilled by 3 mm it looks like I'm on track to be below the limit just after 1k miles.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Defs
So you're saying the replacement V2 rev ups are just remanufactured engines(the ones that are failing OC testing maybe)?

I'm at about 700 miles on my OC testing and even though the dealer overfilled by 3 mm it looks like I'm on track to be below the limit just after 1k miles.
The sign that the new v2 Revup motor is take a look at the engine code after you get the new motor. Mine had the same code given to the v2 motor from Japan.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe

Nothing really wrong with a remanned 'if' it's built well and correctly. Have read many successes with these, but many failures too. Go figure
Originally Posted by buckwilly
The sign that the new v2 Revup motor is take a look at the engine code after you get the new motor. Mine had the same code given to the v2 motor from Japan.
You mean part number or actual engine number?

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 07-12-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added buckwilly quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Nothing really wrong with a remanned 'if' it's built well and correctly. Have read many successes with these, but many failures too. Go figure
I didn't say anything was wrong with a reman, but it seems a bit weird Infiniti would be tossing rebuilt engines into cars that are having issues. I can't see a company being able to deliver remanned engines all across the country for less than the cost of shipping out a new one once you factor in the significant reverse logistics costs for such a "low" volume of claims.

Just assumed they were new, and some people's experience has been that they are.

What is your evidence that they're rebuilt?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
You mean part number or actual engine number?
Actually, both. I asked the parts guy to pull the original parts order for my engine to confirm. He had no problem doing that for me. You can also look at the motor vin on the passenger side of the motor.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 PM
6MT Coupe
I didn't say anything was wrong with a reman, but it seems a bit weird Infiniti would be tossing rebuilt engines into cars that are having issues. I can't see a company being able to deliver remanned engines all across the country for less than the cost of shipping out a new one once you factor in the significant reverse logistics costs for such a "low" volume of claims.

Just assumed they were new, and some people's experience has been that they are.

What is your evidence that they're rebuilt?
I know you didn't say anything wrong with re-manned. Didn't mean my reply to sound that way and single you out, sry.

Mine was confirmed by an independent professional Tribologist scientist. Swap date 5-2008, pt # as on TSB.

Just sharing my experience what I was given and to my surprise.

Actually, both. I asked the parts guy to pull the original parts order for my engine to confirm. He had no problem doing that for me. You can also look at the motor vin on the passenger side of the motor.
Thanx. I'm more interested in what exactly the engine VIN number discloses. Something I've never been able to find out about it's actual origin and date manufactured, but as I mentioned prior I know now and swept that research under the rug for the most part. Still very curious to know that as a second confirmation about my V2.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Where exactly on the motor is the part number? Anyone know where to find the transmission part number as well?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
6MT Coupe
Not clue on tranny, but engine VIN number was here on mine:

Old 07-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
who ultimately makes the decision on whether or not Infiniti will replace the motor? Is it the people at consumer affairs?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my engine replaced for the second time.

first time around ~30k. this time at 69k. (thank God, i was still under warranty)

First there was teh AC7M1, then the AC7M9, now the AC7M9 v2?

On my reciept from the dealer, i had my engine replaced with the AC7M9 originally, and this time also, it shows the same part #.
(tomorrow I will have to check the block to confirm its a v2)

Does anyone have any idea what entails inside this new V2 replacement?
reading the other thread about the TSB. someone mentioned that it might be an HR motor. That is technically impossible since 80% of the engine was redesigned. You cant possibly take an HR long block and just slap it onto this engine and expect it to be seamless. However I can imagine a possible hybrid. For example, the cylinderes/pistons rings/valves are coated on the HR motor to decreased friction. Maybe they introduced something like that to the V2?

honestly i just want to know if anyone knows exactly what they did. We can speculate all day on this, but is there anyone really knowledgeable on this?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Update at 1.5 k -- down 24 mm .

New V2 OC history to date:

0.5 k - 10 mm
1.0 - 16
1.5 - 24

Now that I'm past the 1.5k mark I am starting to open it up a little, but still way under red line. Since I'm at the L mark on the stick now, I'm goin to throw a quart in.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Yup, they use oil during break-in period. Mine about the same as yours when that fresh off the wooden pallet.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM
May seem like a dumb question but I'm a car noob. I'm in the OC testing process right now after having my engine super low on oil after around 4,000KMs (2,600M). They added 1.5L roughly to top it up and I have to come back in 1,000KMs (625M) to check the consumption.

Would oil be consumed if the car were on and sitting in the driveway? I think everyone knows what I'm getting at.

Also, seems like rule of thumb is if need more than 1Q (~1L) after 3,000M (4,800K) then you are getting a new engine. This right?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm sure there is some oil consumption at idle, but from my driving it seems that high RPMs are really when the consumption happens. My first 500 miles of this OC round I drove very tamely, with rarely going over about 3.5k RPM and used about 4 mm, the next 600 miles I drove a bit more aggressive(some shifts above 4k RPM, higher RPM heel and toeing into corners etc.) and used about 8 mm.

Even with them overfilling by 3 mm it looks like it should still fail when I go in and get it checked this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB