TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the entire TSB print out so I should bring that to then I supose, do you know if an aftermarked or exteded warrenty would cover it if mine rines out while they are testing?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Libra4220
I have the entire TSB print out so I should bring that to then I supose, do you know if an aftermarked or exteded warrenty would cover it if mine rines out while they are testing?
The extended CPO warranty will cover the OC issue, I know this for a fact because I asked my service advisor last visit when I reviewed the CPO warranty with them - I really like that CPO warranty to 100K especially in regards to this vehicle. Aftermarket warranties are hit and miss from what I can tell. But if the aftermarket warranty covers powertrain/motor then it should be covered as stated in the fine print of the aftermarket warranty. A motor that goes bad due to a recall regarding OC, the aftermarket warranty should cover it because of the recall. Just make sure that if you have anything aftermarket on your motor, that you remove it before you report the OC issue to your dealer and bring the car in. That includes plenums, intakes, etc. Just less stuff for them to point out to turn down your warranty or blame your OC issue on.

Last edited by buckwilly; 08-15-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 PM
yes, the testing was done before 70k..
So is it ok to ask for another 2 tests?

Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by yrre7
your testing right now right? how many miles?
the limit will be 3750 miles.

buy a mm ruler and measure your oil.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
......and they said there's no problem to the engine, and I had to bring my car back to Seattle,......
That's complete BS.

my car just had the oil consumption test done in LA area, and they said there's no problem to the engine,
From TSB on page 8. Take note of the 'NOTE:' statement.
_________

If the oil level is in the OK range:
a. Fill the engine oil to the “H” mark on the dip stick.
b. Record the amount of oil added.
c. Record the vehicle mileage.
d. Release the vehicle to the customer.

No further action is needed.

Remind the customer to continue to check the oil level every 1000 miles or every other fuel fill up.

NOTE: If the customer chooses, they may return up to 3 times for a 1000 - 3750 mile oil level check.

It's on record you did OC testing once and they said not an issue. Do it again and see if you qualify. Main point is you've indicated this issue and is on offical record of OC complaint & 1st test done before the warranty expired.

Go to different dealer if you want and request test to continue TSB (pg6)

14. Check service records for the last time the engine oil was filled.

NOTE:
For the purposes of this bulletin, the following documentation for oil level checked and filled

will be accepted.

Repair / work order from any Infiniti dealer showing the vehicle mileage and indicating service for

“check and refill oil level”, or “oil and filter change”.

15. Determine the number of miles driven since the last engine oil was filled.

Watched them like a hawk. My G never left my sight when they played me on the first test. I qualified second time, funny how that happened with 2nd test.

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 08-15-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I just called my Seattle dealer, and inform them the OC problem. That dealer refused to do another Oc test because it's over 70k miles. They even told me I should call their Infiniti affair customer service number.
Should I just call Infiniti affair and report it? Any other suggestions? Thanks all ur guys help. Really appreciated.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Is the engine replacement TSB suspended????

I just finished the OC testing, my dealer wanted to check it six times, after 1000km every time, with a top-up after every check. I know this is not the TSB procedure, but I figured I will just let them test it their way. The tests confirmed that my engine is burning lots of oil.

I just got a call from the dealer who was told the following by "Infiniti technical support": they told me the engine replacements are suspended while they do some more testing. They have bought back a couple of cars (in Canada)and are "test-driving" them. They claim that these buy-back cars do not burn a drop of oil if the revs are not held high for long periods of time (the same engines that were diagnosed as oil burners before buy-back). They suspect that people like the exhaust sound, and are holding the revs at 6000rpm for long periods of time. Some vehicles have had multiple replacement engines without fixing the problems, this is supposedly the reason for doing further investigations.

I have offered to do my own test for the next couple of weeks without reving past 4000rpm (I drive about 1500km per week, all highway). I don't expect this to change my oil consumption rates at all.

Has anyone else heard any of this?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Oh that's interesting. Maybe a third version (V3) is in the works. I'll keep an ear open with the 350Z people on their OC thread. Currently still hearing them getting approved for V2's.

Call Corp C.S. and ask why replacements on hold now (and if true). I smell a continuing stall tactic by your dealer with 6 tests and now latest excuse.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I go in tomorrow for the results of my OC test on my '04 5AT.... Keeping fingers crossed..

Old 08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by DuaneB
Is the engine replacement TSB suspended????

I just finished the OC testing, my dealer wanted to check it six times, after 1000km every time, with a top-up after every check. I know this is not the TSB procedure, but I figured I will just let them test it their way. The tests confirmed that my engine is burning lots of oil.

I just got a call from the dealer who was told the following by "Infiniti technical support": they told me the engine replacements are suspended while they do some more testing. They have bought back a couple of cars (in Canada)and are "test-driving" them. They claim that these buy-back cars do not burn a drop of oil if the revs are not held high for long periods of time (the same engines that were diagnosed as oil burners before buy-back). They suspect that people like the exhaust sound, and are holding the revs at 6000rpm for long periods of time. Some vehicles have had multiple replacement engines without fixing the problems, this is supposedly the reason for doing further investigations.

I have offered to do my own test for the next couple of weeks without reving past 4000rpm (I drive about 1500km per week, all highway). I don't expect this to change my oil consumption rates at all.

Has anyone else heard any of this?

Interesting. I'd love for Infiniti to buy back the P.O.S. they sold me. Already had the tranny replaced at 30K, the engine at 53k, the radio unit has been replaced 5 times, window motors 3 times, door actuators twice, parts of my car were never clear coated, interior panels are falling off, 15 mpg always with conservative driving, OEM springs went at 20k, rotors at 15k and 30k, three MAF sensors, two throttle bodies horrible wear on tires that are always tuned to spec with alignment checks, and if I don't drive with my VDC off my car randomly does the fuel cut.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Oil consumption

Fellas,

Im sure there's been tons of info on this issue. Got this email today from a friend and wanted to share this with you all. His brother is an engineer and extremely reliable. Is this just with the rev-up engines w/ standard trans or is this effecting all G's? Im having no problems with my 03. Here you go:

I have been doing more research on the problems with this engine in both your car and my car and the reality is that the new engine Nissan is providing people is nothing more than a remanufactured engine that we already have. The dealerships can not tell you what is different in the “improved” engine because Nissan corporate will not release the information. Nissan claim it is a new engine, but the stamped number on the engine is the same and there is no way to tell the engine is in any way different than the one you have now. The rumor is that the piston rings were originally made of inferior material and they have replaced them, but further investigation shows several things:

1) The replacement engines are failing in most cases after about the same period of time with the same problems. This as late as 3 months ago and the new engines are no different now than they were 1 year ago.

2) The driving style or speeds / RPM you use are of little consequence, but steady state highway driving at 3000 – 3500 RPM makes it worse.

3) The oil used makes little difference, but full synthetic does seem to accelerate the consumption issue.

4) Nissan redesigned the 3.5L engines for use in the 2008 350Z with an 80% change in the block, oil sump and head design and these have no oil consumption problems.

5) Nissan nor Infinity will put a 2008 3.5L engine in the problem vehicles even though they fit no problem with no modifications other than minor engine brackets and movement of accessories.

6) Several folks in CA have sued Nissan and Nissan has bought their ’05 and ’06 Nissan 350Zs back as lemons. One guy has 4 engines replaced by Nissan in 3 years and all were bad.

7) There should be zero cost to you to have the current engine replaced.

My advice to you would be to have the engine replaced, break it in for a few hundred miles and then trade in or sell the car outright for something other than a Nissan or Infinity. The 3.7L engines in the 2009s and 2010s are having oil overheating and bearing problems as well, so the newer cars are no good either. The only one any good in Nissan is the 2008 350Z (manual or automatic). These 2008 engines have the oil dipstick in the front and have two throttle bodies (1 each side).

I have read through 600 pages of technical manuals used by the dealership tonight and found that the engine we have has a few differences than the 2005 automatics that had no problem. Piecing together what I see, the exhaust cams in the manual transmission cars are being retarded to increase engine output as the RPMs go to 7100 redline, but that is causing excessive pressures in the cylinder and ring blow-by is over pressurizing the crankcase. This is overwhelming the PCV valve and the oil misted crankcase air is being routed to the intake manifold and then into the cylinder with fuel and fresh air. So, in affect the engine is fed oil soaked fuel and air and it burns oil. Some guys are seeing 1+ quarts of oil in “puke tanks” in the PCV lines but are unsure why. I am pretty sure I know what the problem is. There are other things I see as well, but that is the big one.

Warning technical stuff to follow: Nissan needed to get CARB / EPA certified so on the manual transmission engines, they bring the engine RPM down faster by using the variable valve timing (VVT) controls of the exhaust and intake cams instead of decreasing fuel pressure and pulse width of the injectors like most companies. Nissan changed exhaust valve timing along with intake valve timing to in effect slow the engine faster when the accelerator is not depressed and the clutch is depressed (downshifting) so that the engine would not indicate a gasoline rich emission therefore spiking the emission test to failure. The automatic transmissions decrease this by sensing the rich exhaust (just like the automatic cars using the O2 sensors) but the automatics use the transmission clutches to slow the engine quickly therefore getting the engine speed down and improving the fuel air ratio during deceleration. This is why the problem is just with the manual transmission cars. OBTW, Mazda quit making a manual version of their RX-8 about 3 years back because they could not control emissions on the rotary engine powered cars. The EPA is to blame and is pushing many of the companies to produce automatics that shift like a manual, but manual transmission cars are getting harder and harder to make and pass emission tests from the US Government.

Get the engine replaced and move on. Sorry!

Last edited by molidor01; 09-01-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ thats a fail i love my g35..

Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I have no idea of the validity of anything you said except two things...

The 350Z used the HR engine in 07 and 08, not just 08 as you mentioned (also used in the 07/08 G35 sedan also available with manual trans).

The RX8 is and always has been available with a manual trans. Without it, what's the point of the RX8???

Originally Posted by molidor01
Fellas,

Im sure there's been tons of info on this issue. Got this email today from a friend and wanted to share this with you all. His brother is an engineer and extremely reliable. Is this just with the rev-up engines w/ standard trans or is this effecting all G's? Im having no problems with my 03. Here you go:

I have been doing more research on the problems with this engine in both your car and my car and the reality is that the new engine Nissan is providing people is nothing more than a remanufactured engine that we already have. The dealerships can not tell you what is different in the “improved” engine because Nissan corporate will not release the information. Nissan claim it is a new engine, but the stamped number on the engine is the same and there is no way to tell the engine is in any way different than the one you have now. The rumor is that the piston rings were originally made of inferior material and they have replaced them, but further investigation shows several things:

1) The replacement engines are failing in most cases after about the same period of time with the same problems. This as late as 3 months ago and the new engines are no different now than they were 1 year ago.

2) The driving style or speeds / RPM you use are of little consequence, but steady state highway driving at 3000 – 3500 RPM makes it worse.

3) The oil used makes little difference, but full synthetic does seem to accelerate the consumption issue.

4) Nissan redesigned the 3.5L engines for use in the 2008 350Z with an 80% change in the block, oil sump and head design and these have no oil consumption problems.

5) Nissan nor Infinity will put a 2008 3.5L engine in the problem vehicles even though they fit no problem with no modifications other than minor engine brackets and movement of accessories.

6) Several folks in CA have sued Nissan and Nissan has bought their ’05 and ’06 Nissan 350Zs back as lemons. One guy has 4 engines replaced by Nissan in 3 years and all were bad.

My advice to you would be to have the engine replaced, break it in for a few hundred miles and then trade in or sell the car outright for something other than a Nissan or Infinity. The 3.7L engines in the 2009s and 2010s are having oil overheating and bearing problems as well, so the newer cars are no good either. The only one any good in Nissan is the 2008 350Z (manual or automatic). These 2008 engines have the oil dipstick in the front and have two throttle bodies (1 each side).

I have read through 600 pages of technical manuals used by the dealership tonight and found that the engine we have has a few differences than the 2005 automatics that had no problem. Piecing together what I see, the exhaust cams in the manual transmission cars are being retarded to increase engine output as the RPMs go to 7100 redline, but that is causing excessive pressures in the cylinder and ring blow-by is over pressurizing the crankcase. This is overwhelming the PCV valve and the oil misted crankcase air is being routed to the intake manifold and then into the cylinder with fuel and fresh air. So, in affect the engine is fed oil soaked fuel and air and it burns oil. Some guys are seeing 1+ quarts of oil in “puke tanks” in the PCV lines but are unsure why. I am pretty sure I know what the problem is. There are other things I see as well, but that is the big one.

Warning technical stuff to follow: Nissan needed to get CARB / EPA certified so on the manual transmission engines, they bring the engine RPM down faster by using the variable valve timing (VVT) controls of the exhaust and intake cams instead of decreasing fuel pressure and pulse width of the injectors like most companies. Nissan changed exhaust valve timing along with intake valve timing to in effect slow the engine faster when the accelerator is not depressed and the clutch is depressed (downshifting) so that the engine would not indicate a gasoline rich emission therefore spiking the emission test to failure. The automatic transmissions decrease this by sensing the rich exhaust (just like the automatic cars using the O2 sensors) but the automatics use the transmission clutches to slow the engine quickly therefore getting the engine speed down and improving the fuel air ratio during deceleration. This is why the problem is just with the manual transmission cars. OBTW, Mazda quit making a manual version of their RX-8 about 3 years back because they could not control emissions on the rotary engine powered cars. The EPA is to blame and is pushing many of the companies to produce automatics that shift like a manual, but manual transmission cars are getting harder and harder to make and pass emission tests from the US Government.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 AM
What I did with my "lemon" G35 revup

Hi,

I had an 07 with revup motor. The engine was replaced due to OC (also it ran poorly and got bad MPG). The replacement engine seemed better to me, better power and better MPG, alas the tranny was screwed up after the install (probably blame that on crappy service at Fresno Infiniti). Took it back several times and they added automatic tranny fluid to the gearbox which improved shifting only slightly, but 1st gear was almost impossible to activate, and others grinding sometimes. With continued problems with the car, including struts, ECM failed, creaky suspension sounds, crap clutch, rough ride (normal for this car I think!!), bad axle hop, etc, I made an impulse decision and got rid of it. A few weeks ago I traded it in for a new 08 G37 coupe. The redesigned coupe is an improvement in almost every area. I really like this car much better. I have noticed no issues with the new car delivery, compared to many issues on delivery of the 07 coupe. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you my story. I really like the newer car much better. The prices are very good right now on the coupes, I've seen 09s advertised for 9 grand off in the LA Times, and the older coupes have very good resale value right now (maybe attributable to the positive press as a used sports bargain). Basically I'm about as upside down as I already was on my previous car. Also can take advantage of tax write off from the IRS.

Good luck to everybody.

James

Old 09-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot to digest and comment on in just one fast reading. I see some validity to some of the points. Will hold out for another reading to digest.

# 3 is totally false, and my UOA's prove that oil does make a difference. This coming from a tribologist who analyzes my oil.

#7 is a true statement and no one that I know has had to pay for an engine replacement that is under warranty and under the TSB.

Quote: "The 3.7L engines in the 2009s and 2010s are having oil overheating and bearing problems as well, so the newer cars are no good either".

Wrong....it only over heats if you track the car, no one has had it go into limp mode on the street after break-in. And bearing problems.....that's news to me.

I am sure V35 Skyline GT has not seen this post or if he has, is drafting up a response.

Cheers
Curtis

Previous owner of 06 350Z Rev-UP MT - sold it with freshly built engine under warranty and with prolly the best UOA and oil consumption on both my350Z and G35driver. 18k on the engine and she was just starting to seat and seal.

New owner of a 370Z MT Touring + Sport

Originally Posted by molidor01
Fellas,

Last edited by ZeeForce; 09-02-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added previous owner of: & typos

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB