TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
we're slowly getting more and more appointments... PM me if you want to maek an appointment

Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone spoken with infiniti directly to find out what this new engine is that they r putting in? is it the exact same engine with the oil consumption issue resolved or what any one know

Last edited by HARLEY G35; 01-16-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1... i was wondering the saaame thing..... do they just give us the same engine again in HOPES that this one wont burn oil?

that would seem completely ridiculous to me.... but you never know

Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
thats good..

Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 AM
what is this Noise that your supposed to hear? i hear a slight "tick tick" sound but my oil is fine, is that normal?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
The VQ that they're using (listed on TSB as 10102-AC7M9) is the one built in Japan. From what I've heard for over 6mo, hand built too.
Those been used since June 07 with ppl who's OC was 1qt/1000mi or worse with pre TSB replacement standard.

It's not just another factory VQ. That one was part number 10102-AC7M1 which had many failures on resolving OC and no longer is used for replacements.
The current one they're using has had very good success so far, tho I've read some of these have had OC issues as well over on my350Z's OC thread, but more successes than failures. Initial break-in may be a factor with that, but not sure. Purely my opinion about that.

Not sure on the unusual noise they mention. Mine has ticking noise too, but not all the time. Think mine starts ticking when I'm getting close to a qt low.
I've read some VQ's that are very low on oil, like only 1 or 2qts in engine, start sounding like a lawn mower in a sense.

I'll assume that the noise I just mentioned and if still there after oil level filled to F, those VQ's are thrashed and they order replacement on the spot rather than have you come back in 1000mi for level check.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Waiting on Dealership

I went through the whole oil consumoption process last summer and burned .5 quarts of oil the first time I was back at 1000 miles. I returned 1700 miles later and was down .75 quarts. As you know back then you had to burn more than 1 qt every 1000 miles. I called Infinit consumer affairs about the TSB and told her that i had gone through the consumoption process and it was documented. I asked if i would have to go through it again and she was like no. She then called my local dealer service rep who I had been dealing with. I went to talk to him and he said he is dealing with my problem right now and I might have to go throug the process again since the measurement was not done in mm's. Give me a break if he pulls this crap im having a meeting with the manager and local rep. As i looked at it 12mm is half a quart. I burned that much at 1000 miles and the limit at 1000 is 5mm. It's not hard to just convert the quarts to mm. 12mm to 5mm is a big difference. Even again when i came back at another 1700 miles i was down .75 quarts which is still way to high. So now i play the waiting game. UGHHHHHHHHH

Last edited by lasmtang94; 01-16-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would the engine replacement be cover under powertrain warranty, which is 70K miles?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by culi
Would the engine replacement be cover under powertrain warranty, which is 70K miles?
Yes, but more specifically, the TSB takes precedence for this issue.

I was just wondering whether anyone has asked their dealer for the 3.7 as the replacement engine and offered to pay the difference? Or will this mechanically not work?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by lasmtang94
I went through the whole oil consumoption process last summer and burned .5 quarts of oil the first time I was back at 1000 miles. I returned 1700 miles later and was down .75 quarts. As you know back then you had to burn more than 1 qt every 1000 miles. I called Infinit consumer affairs about the TSB and told her that i had gone through the consumoption process and it was documented. I asked if i would have to go through it again and she was like no. She then called my local dealer service rep who I had been dealing with. I went to talk to him and he said he is dealing with my problem right now and I might have to go throug the process again since the measurement was not done in mm's. Give me a break if he pulls this crap im having a meeting with the manager and local rep. As i looked at it 12mm is half a quart. I burned that much at 1000 miles and the limit at 1000 is 5mm. It's not hard to just convert the quarts to mm. 12mm to 5mm is a big difference. Even again when i came back at another 1700 miles i was down .75 quarts which is still way to high. So now i play the waiting game. UGHHHHHHHHH
Wow that blows. It's not like you were borderline in qualifying for replacement with the current TSB replacement standards.
G/L with that, but then again what's another 1000mi to then qualify. But I def hear what you're saying around that
+ Infiniti said not required to doing anymore testing for you, so WTH.

I just dropped off my G for some other warranty issues and ask if they would take over another dealers testing that started on mine, being it's all in writing, in their database and they viewed this morning. I'll find out today if they'll take over my OC testing where my other incompetent dealer started, due to 4 visits about my window that they couldn't fix, in fact made worse If they can't fix a simple window regulator issue, then I don't want them replacing my VQ or touching my G any further.

This current dealer where my G is said it must be Dino oil for testing. I said other dealer started testing with Synth that they've used before on my previous services.
Also said the TSB states nowhere it must be Dino, only states it has to be 5w-30 and that's what's in there.
And told them I've had OC since new and that's stated as well in their database not to long after buying and shows dealer did those services back then with Dino 5w-30 so having Synth in there now shouldn't be an issue. We'll see what they say when I pick her up later today.
Originally Posted by G_XXXV

I was just wondering whether anyone has asked their dealer for the 3.7 as the replacement engine and offered to pay the difference? Or will this mechanically not work?
Think I read on the 350Z forum someone asking that, but for the VQ35HR.
It was a no, being different ECU, electronics, sensors, dual air boxes, etc. The 3.7 I'd bet be the same answer for the the same reason. That'd be nice tho, I'd pay the diff.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
6MT Coupe
Synth or Dino with current TSB

Dealer who only tested with Dino on OC testing prior to our TSB just said the 5w-30 Synth I have in there is fine and no problem with TSB guidelines.
Plus they'll take over my OC monitoring where my other dealer had started it.

So...don't let any dealer say b/c you run Synth, you don't qualify under TSB guidelines and must use Dino to monitor consumption.
Whatever you use, just make sure it's 5w-30

Old 01-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Bs, my car is tmu, or true milage unknown,and they will nor touch my car , even though i am burning about a qt every 500 miles. Infiniti sux, and i will never buy another nissan vehicle, And i have owned over 20 nissans.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM

Bs, my car is tmu, or true milage unknown,and they will not touch my car , even though i am burning about a qt every 500 miles. Infiniti sux, and i will never buy another nissan vehicle, And i have owned over 20 nissans.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Applied Vehicles:

2005 - 2006 G35 Sedan (V35) with M/T
2005 - 2007 G35 Coupe (CV35) with M/T

^First page of TSB.

350Z TSB also states 'with M/T'
These TSB's pertain only to the rev-up VQ's that are found in 2005 and newer 6mt's only.

Why would a different transmission affect oil consumption? Seems odd to me that only M/T's are included.

Anyway, glad I have an '04. It is on H every time I check the oil.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 AM
i have had the transmission changed on this car ( 05 6mt sedan )
and now the engine might need replacing. Wow and i tell everybody who will listen how great my car is.
Next time i buy a a beater like my dad told me then atleast theres no expectations

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB