TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay well I just checked my oil and I have none on the dipstick after 2500 miles... I think I may just show them that.

Does anyone have any reviews on the V2 engine???

Last edited by B~PAIN; 02-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by B~PAIN
Okay well I just checked my oil and I have none on the dipstick after 2500 miles... I think I may just show them that.

Does anyone have any reviews on the V2 engine???
With no oil on stick then don't be surprised if they want to do an oil change first, then a test. That procedure/guideline is in TSB under your current condition, pg 5.

Reviews? Lots of OC threads here. Try a search. My350Z has an OC thread too with reviews and reports of success and/or failures on OC with V2.
Two members here in NorCal OC thread just reported theirs failing

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-16-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added NorCal OC thread
Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 PM
All done.. engine should be coming in next week. Finally.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought an 06' G35 6MT with 10k miles on it, i guess ill need to check my oil every 1k miles to be on the safe side of things. I love the car, I just hope it doesnt have these issues. My first post btw

Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Welcome aboard.....I too love my 06 G and my only gripe is that it consumes 1.5-2 quarts per oil change. Can't see my self in another car but Infiniti owes me an engine that isn't so thirsty......

Originally Posted by DG-G35
I just bought an 06' G35 6MT with 10k miles on it, i guess ill need to check my oil every 1k miles to be on the safe side of things. I love the car, I just hope it doesnt have these issues. My first post btw

Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
to qualify for an oil consumption test i have to pay infiniti to do an oil change first correct?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
6MT Coupe
^Well, in looking at the TSB on page 8, it shows claim codes for dealer to charge Infiniti for work performed. One of the claim codes fall under replace "RPL engine oil and filter". So I'll assume, no they shouldn't charge you for an oil change to start OC test. It depends on where your oil is on the stick when you bring it in prior to testing . They either change oil or just top you off to start testing. Study the TSB, it answers a lot of questions.

If your due for an oil service anyway, it's your call. I was due and paid for my oil service. No big deal to me bc my oil still registered on stick and per TSB, didn't qualify to have oil changed free of charge.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-18-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:27 PM
For those of you guys going through the oil consumption testing, what type of printout/report does the dealership provide you to document your oil level? I'm afraid my dealership is not properly doing my oil consumption testing and incorrectly recording the readings. Based on the invoice they provide, they don't even measure the exact oil level in mm, rather it's 1/2 to 3/4 level. On top of this, the SA keeps telling me I need to consume 1qt per 1K to be covered which I know is BS. So before I talk to the manager, I'd like to know what documentation you receive during each step of the oil consumption testing?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:42 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Uhh...yeah. Your dealer is not up to speed on the TSB guidlines and procedures to measure in mm's and only takes one confirmation for OC unless customer requests test to continue.

My ppwork says.........

Customer requests we continue oil consumption test started on blah blah date at blah blah miles.

Let sit 20 minutes.

Oil level on full mark (long story on that one ) Please continue test.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
^Thanks for the info. My dealership wrote, "verified that the oil level is 1/2 to 3/4 on the dipstick, oil level is good." That's basically all that was written. I know the dealership as experienced a few engine replacements so I'm not sure why there's such a lack in details in this report. And to make matters worse, the SA seems to brush off the efforts and say I'm good to go. I had to tell him I wanted to continue my testing and wasn't into his BS.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Espresso
^Thanks for the info. My dealership wrote, "verified that the oil level is 1/2 to 3/4 on the dipstick, oil level is good." That's basically all that was written. I know the dealership as experienced a few engine replacements so I'm not sure why there's such a lack in details in this report. And to make matters worse, the SA seems to brush off the efforts and say I'm good to go. I had to tell him I wanted to continue my testing and wasn't into his BS.
I'm going to assume your level check was around 1000mi. yes? If so, then with the old replacement warranty standard of 1qt/1000mi or worse, your OC would be considered 'ok' and you're good to go...no issues. But TSB changed that retarded old replacement standard.

I'll also assume you have a revup VQ (05-07 6mt's only), otherwise TSB doesn't pertain to non revups. Non revups, unfortunately and imo unfairly still fall under the 1qt/1000mi replacement standard and to my knowledge, doesn't require mm level readings per TSB guidlines. Hope that's not your case.

G/L with everything.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
is there any way to find out that your car eats oil without taking it to the dealer? thanks.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by ac419
is there any way to find out that your car eats oil without taking it to the dealer? thanks.
Uhh...check your oil level yourself every 1000 miles or so?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Just got my G35 back with the new engine. It has the 10102-AC7M9 part number on the invoice, so apparently I have the so-called "V2" engine. Too soon to know if it's a success, but I'll post a status report as soon as I put a couple thousand miles on it. One thing I did notice is that it does seem a little sluggish compared to my original motor. Pretty disappointing. I don't know, maybe it's because I was rolling in an '07 G35 sedan loaner for a while, I got used to the extra torque. Man, I never realized how much stronger the HR feels in the low to mid range than the rev-up VQ engines, even in those big sedans. Makes me very tempted to just say screw it and go get a G37.
At ~7,900mi, I took my G35 coupe 6MT to Infiniti dealership when I started hearing a knocking noise and noticed that the "check engine" light would come up every few times a week. I was called in 4 more times after that (every 1000mi) specifically for oil-level testing. The dealership received an approval to replace the engine, and at 14,500mi, after just about 6 months, I drove out with a new one (10102-AC7M9). I was told to go easy for the initial 12-15K.

After driving about 1000mi now, I am running low on oil. I just checked it myself. I plan on taking it to the dealership soon to record it formally.

But this is not the only problem I am having, the new engine seems to be a lot louder and a bit sluggish too.. yes.. definitely not the ride I got used too!!

I would like to hear from users who have been through the replacement and thier findings.

How should I approach this problem now?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by g35coupe35
At ~7,900mi, I took my G35 coupe 6MT to Infiniti dealership when I started hearing a knocking noise and noticed that the "check engine" light would come up every few times a week. I was called in 4 more times after that (every 1000mi) specifically for oil-level testing. The dealership received an approval to replace the engine, and at 14,500mi, after just about 6 months, I drove out with a new one (10102-AC7M9). I was told to go easy for the initial 12-15K.

After driving about 1000mi now, I am running low on oil. I just checked it myself. I plan on taking it to the dealership soon to record it formally.

But this is not the only problem I am having, the new engine seems to be a lot louder and a bit sluggish too.. yes.. definitely not the ride I got used too!!

I would like to hear from users who have been through the replacement and thier findings.

How should I approach this problem now?
That's an interesting comment. Recenly learned from a source I won't disclose, that's about how long these VQ's actually take to 100% completely be broken in. They are NOT completely finished with break-in after 1200 miles (1.2K) as many think and then pound the crap out of them. Some could take over 15K I've read.

All I can say to your situation is that's strike 2. Three strikes, being 1st your oem failure, 2nd your first and current replacement failing and 3 strikes would be your 2nd replacement failing. Lemon Law time. You might want to get the BBB involved for this last repair attempt.

Also, in response to your post in my thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/188688-owners-vq-oil-consumption.html
File again with the NHTSA. It's another defect...again imo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB