TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by gspotter
Why would a different transmission affect oil consumption? Seems odd to me that only M/T's are included.

Anyway, glad I have an '04. It is on H every time I check the oil.
b/c starting in 2005 on up, only 6mt's have the 298hp rev-up VQ's while in same year on up, 5at's still only have the 280hp non rev-up VQ's.
Just like all 2003-2004 6mt and 5at's have the 280hp non rev-up's.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Glex25, great information you provided, thanks a lot!!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had low oil on numerous occasions since buying the car new w/ 14 miles : (

First instance was at about 800 miles!

Afterwards on two or three more occasions I was told my oil was low but nothing was done. Finally at about 21000 my car was severely low on oil and sounding like a lawn mower, I was informed I was not getting oil to a part (rockers?) in my engine, thus the horrible sound and check engine light.

I have been on the oil consumption test for two thousand miles now, and on both 1000 check ups low one quart! I am about 500-600 miles away from my oil change/consumption test update, should I just ask for a replacement now?

Do you receive a new powertrain warranty on the new engine?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
I have an 03 w/ 100k that is consuming more than 1q/1000. Think they'll talk to me?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
update

So it looks like I will have to go through the oil consumption process again. My dealer says that since we didnt measure in mm's before and in quarts its not valid per the TSB. I told him that we measured how much oil we put in everytime and for 3361 we put in over a quart which is more than the limit should be. For now I am waiting on the final decision. But im driving my car all around to get to the next 1000 mile oil check and take my little ruler out and show them whats up. GIVE ME MY NEW ENGINE!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The same general consumer protection laws currently in effect that (generally) prohibit manufacturer's discrimination and warranty impact when using non-OEM consumable items to service your car apply here.

Non consumable components such as non-OEM mechanical parts can impact your warranty status. For example; that would be replacing an OEM fuel sending unit with a 3rd party rebuilt, rather than a new OEM unit or authorized factory rebuilt component (but why would you do that if it was under warranty?). As to using non-factory service to install that same component, that would also void your warranty.

Where consumable items apply (oil, power steering fluid, brake pads, etc.) it is against the law for the manufacturer (or it authorized representative) to use the Owners choice of equivalent 3rd party consumables to void a warranty, or avoid a warranty claim. Same applies as to the actual manpower service to address this normal maintenance (encouraged by your O&M manual). This service can be accomplished by YOU. To establish this you must have kept a log of this service in good faith. Yes - it would be helpful to have receipts for these materials, and any 3rd party services of this nature. However, it is sufficient to simply keep a log of such services and materials.

I assume that you have? That you can produce such a log? ... and that you can show that in good faith you have attempted to keep all receipts? (or as many as you could find).

Now, this is not as satisfying as being able shove a fistful of every receipt required up the Dealers "Yoo-Hoo chute", but it is a sufficient display of knowledge of your consumer rights to start to peel through some of the layers of denial. In turn, the prompt request of the Customer Service Representative Contact Information for the Regional & North American Infiniti/Nissan HQ Office that services your dealership is a fair and reasonable request. It is best done on your letterhead. Write each of them, for squeezes and giggles, show a copy as going to your best friend, add "P.A" after his Cc: name. This is a motivation ploy.

Now, don't confuse threats in the O&M like using non-OEM materials like a perceived equivalent of the J-Matic Auto Transmission Fluid as a basis for their denial. That is considered a non-consummable component as it doesn't get changed until well past the elapse of warranty.

Just to share that there is no justice (and I'm probably putting the jinx upon mah'sef) my '03 Coupe [02/2002 build] has 105K on it, after first 15K has only had Mobil 1 in it (Z-Max additive once at 95K), changed about every 7K, typically spends 8 weekends a year at track events, and doesn't use a drop.
Today.

Go figure, and go get the B@$^@&DS!

Last edited by FastrColor03; 01-19-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it would be pretty tight if i could get that new 3.7 liter engine.... im sure they would never do it though

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by FastrColor03
The same general consumer protection laws currently in effect that (generally) prohibit manufacturer's discrimination and warranty impact when using non-OEM consumable items to service your car apply here.

Non consumable components such as non-OEM mechanical parts can impact your warranty status. For example; that would be replacing an OEM fuel sending unit with a 3rd party rebuilt, rather than a new OEM unit or authorized factory rebuilt component (but why would you do that if it was under warranty?). As to using non-factory service to install that same component, that would also void your warranty.

Where consumable items apply (oil, power steering fluid, brake pads, etc.) it is against the law for the manufacturer (or it authorized representative) to use the Owners choice of equivalent 3rd party consumables to void a warranty, or avoid a warranty claim. Same applies as to the actual manpower service to address this normal maintenance (encouraged by your O&M manual). This service can be accomplished by YOU. To establish this you must have kept a log of this service in good faith. Yes - it would be helpful to have receipts for these materials, and any 3rd party services of this nature. However, it is sufficient to simply keep a log of such services and materials.

I assume that you have? That you can produce such a log? ... and that you can show that in good faith you have attempted to keep all receipts? (or as many as you could find).

Now, this is not as satisfying as being able shove a fistful of every receipt required up the Dealers "Yoo-Hoo chute", but it is a sufficient display of knowledge of your consumer rights to start to peel through some of the layers of denial. In turn, the prompt request of the Customer Service Representative Contact Information for the Regional & North American Infiniti/Nissan HQ Office that services your dealership is a fair and reasonable request. It is best done on your letterhead. Write each of them, for squeezes and giggles, show a copy as going to your best friend, add "P.A" after his Cc: name. This is a motivation ploy.

Now, don't confuse threats in the O&M like using non-OEM materials like a perceived equivalent of the J-Matic Auto Transmission Fluid as a basis for their denial. That is considered a non-consummable component as it doesn't get changed until well past the elapse of warranty.

Just to share that there is no justice (and I'm probably putting the jinx upon mah'sef) my '03 Coupe [02/2002 build] has 105K on it, after first 15K has only had Mobil 1 in it (Z-Max additive once at 95K), changed about every 7K, typically spends 8 weekends a year at track events, and doesn't use a drop.
Today.

Go figure, and go get the B@$^@&DS!
Well said...lots of good advice here.

For those DYI's without receipts >> is it possible that you made a bulk purchase of oil and filters a while ago, and a receipt is no longer available??

Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Took my 2004 g35 6MT to the dealership for the OC test because last couple of oil changes i noticed after 1000 miles my dip stick was 3/4 below the H mark. They top off my oil and said it was a pint off and to bring it back in 1k miles.

How the F@#$ can it be a pint off when the dip stick is shows the oil at 1/4 above the L mark. The advisor just said to come back in 1k miles. This time I will come prepare with this information.

Thanks for posting this.

FYI. My 2004 is still under warranty. But will this cause an issues since the docs only state 2005-2007 G35?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by unvmyg
FYI. My 2004 is still under warranty. But will this cause an issues since the docs only state 2005-2007 G35?
Hate to be the one with the bad news, but yes the TSB only covers 05 -07 G with only 6mt's. (rev-up VQ's)

Other G's and other years will get warranty replacements, but their consumption has to 1qt/1000mi or worse. It was the same with us up rev-up VQ's before the TSB.

And don't feel like you're alone. Heard of other non-rev up's going bad too, just not that many in comparison to ours.

Bring the TSB anyway, so you call Infiniti out on the unfairness of the TSB to your type of VQ.
File complaint with Infiniti customer care and file defect complaint with the NHTSA.
See my thread prior to TSB release regarding NHTSA.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/188688-owners-vq-oil-consumption.html

And while you're in OC testing, drive her like it was meant to be driven including long fwy/hwy trips which both help to your advantage while in testing.

Make sure they show you your dip stick at full when you start test and/or top you off during testing. And show you level when it's brought in after 1000mi intervals.
Already your dealer said one level while you saw different level. Red flag right there with trustworthiness.
You only need to consume 1/4 qt more in your level observations per 1000mi and then you'll qualify for warranty replacement.

G/L with dealer testing.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks 06CPV35. I will keep you all posted with my outcome.

How does one read the dip stick. Is there a standard measurement?

from low mark to the high mark how much oil is that?

After they top me off. I Double checked my dip stick to ensure it was only filled to the H mark and not over. Which they filled to the H mark.

Last edited by unvmyg; 01-23-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Oops double post.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by unvmyg
Thanks 06CPV35. I will keep you all posted with my outcome.

How does one read the dip stick. Is there a standard measurement?

from low mark to the high mark how much oil is that?

After they top me off. I Double checked my dip stick to ensure it was only filled to the H mark and not over. Which they filled to the H mark.
Cross hatch to cross hatch L to H = 1qt. Or in TSB terms 24mm.
Okay. Good to hear dealer is on the up and up when they put you to H mark and not over.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hello, i know my motor burns a little oil. i'm not sure if it qualifies as "no good" on the TSB because i haven't done the OC test officially. i do know between my oil changes apx 5,000mi intervals i'm adding at least 1 or slightly more quarts of oil. more noticeably during the last two oil changes. i do them myself. my question is, is it even worth the hassle? it burns a little oil and it might get worse. but i've read dozens of pages where people had one or more motors replaced and yet the problem is the same or worse!? i even know of one locally who had a hard time getting the first motor replaced and then the new motor is just as bad. i can't read all 107+ pgs over at my350z, but i've read dozens from both sites and haven't come up with a positive solution. i may or may not fall into the excessive OC range. what would you do?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
6MT Coupe
^
Your consumption sounds somewhat close to 'no good' on chart. And it's getting worse? Might qualify then.
24mm(1qt) at 3500mi is 'no good' on chart and if over 24mm between 3501-3750mi, qualifys per the tsb's 'NOTE:' just below chart.

I would use your 'B' trip odo to keep track of miles in relation to mm's of oil used while self monitoring.
I've done that for over 2 years that way and call it my OC trip odo

If you qualify, your call on what you want to do.
Strangely, I've read many failures with the V2 Z replacements...~50/50 success/failure, but high successes on our G's V2 replacements.
Go figure...same VQ just ending in a different engine part number of 9(G35's) or Z(350Z's).

Sounds like yours is getting worse. So with that said and whatever your decision is, make sure you start testing before warranty is up.
There is no expiration date on the TSB that I can see, only your warranty time would be an issue imo.

G/L with all that and hope it was of some help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB