TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by echelonphoto
I just got some new info on this problem...can't reveal the source, but it is from an infinity tech. It seems that the cats in the car are feeding back some very abrasive particles back into the engine as part of I assume the EGR and this is causing premature wear due to these particles getting into the cylinders and the oil. Any one else heard this...if its true....have they replace cats as part of the TSB?
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
My logic says cat particles can't travel reverse of exhaust gas velocity and enter combustion chamber to thrash rings, but what do I know. Am I a mechanical engineer, yes. Am I an internal combustion engineer, no. I agree with your assumption of EGR. That would be the only way imo exhaust gases could re-enter combustion chamber.

With that said, then why some revups never had OC issues and same with non revups or get worse over time like mine hasn't (1qt/2300-2500mi and steady for 25K miles since new) That cat/egr theory could hold true in some cases of OC, but not all cases with VQ OC issues imho.

I'm shooting for new cats with a song and a prayer when my V2 is replaced. No indication on TSB that those are to be replaced. Bet you a cookie in looking at my tailpipe tips with burnt oil residual inside of them for the past 25K, my cats are loaded with that crap too and will fail prematurely down the road. Probably at smog test time when emission warranty expired too

Interesting twist, thanks for the 411. I'll keep what you said in the back of my mind
I will take my bag of cookies now, please.

Been there done that and the cats are in perfect condition. After the V2 replacement the residue will take some time to burn off from the cats. I had a smog test within a week of my V2 replacement and it passed with flying colors, also had the SM hook up a computer and we drove to see if it would knock, and it did not and the read out showed very good timing etc…. It did the first three days and has not since then. My smog test and CPU readout is posted some where on the 350z - 130 page thread.

John, I like peanut butter cookies!

Cheers,
-Curtis

Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
I will take my bag of cookies now, please.

Been there done that and the cats are in perfect condition. After the V2 replacement the residue will take some time to burn off from the cats. I had a smog test within a week of my V2 replacement and it passed with flying colors, also had the SM hook up a computer and we drove to see if it would knock, and it did not and the read out showed very good timing etc…. It did the first three days and has not since then. My smog test and CPU readout is posted some where on the 350z - 130 page thread.

John, I like peanut butter cookies!

Cheers,
-Curtis
So much for my logic. Well, never said I was a internal combustion engineer. Thanx for sharing that experience and clarification on your cats. I can rest easier now about those.
Hey I only said I bet you 'A' cookie, not a whole bag

Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by g35coupe35
…. I drove out with a new one (10102-AC7M9). I was told to go easy for the initial 12-15K.
After driving about 1000mi now, I am running low on oil. I just checked it myself. I plan on taking it to the dealership soon to record it formally.
But this is not the only problem I am having, the new engine seems to be a lot louder and a bit sluggish too.. yes.. definitely not the ride I got used too!!
I would like to hear from users who have been through the replacement and thier findings.
How should I approach this problem now?

That's an interesting comment. Recenly learned from a source I won't disclose, that's about how long these VQ's actually take to 100% completely be broken in. They are NOT completely finished with break-in after 1200 miles (1.2K) as many think and then pound the crap out of them. Some could take over 15K I've read.
I can attest to the break in…..10k-18k miles is absolutely correct…. Me being the source.

I had my V2’ used oil analyzed and the scientist stated that with these engines, we need to be easy on them for the 15-18k miles, for a complete component seal. I am not ready to post up all my findings yet as I am still waiting for my last questions to be answered back from the UOA scientist. I can say that I asked about every known question regarding the oil consumption, break in procedures and more. I will post up some information on the 350z thread and try to get it over here also.

We now have a used oil analysis on a oil consuming V1 and now a V2 with low mileage. We have what failed on the V1 and what has been fixed on the V2. What to look for in the new engine, and some preventative actions to ensure break in and all the components seal. I will be conversing and sharing data with 06CPV35 – John, and between the two of us, will have some good information posted up soon.

G35coupe35,
You will consume oil on the first oil change interval; the engine has a lot of fuel dilution from the assembly lubes of the internals, which is breaking down the oil and causing some consumption. Not to worry, mine was 10mm down from the “H” hash mark on dipstick, at the time of the first oil change at 3,750 miles.

Did you check the oil level when you picked up the car from the dealer after the install, on a cold engine or at least when it has sat for 30 minutes?
If not, there is a good possibility that the dealer did not fill up the oil with an initial 5.5 quarts of oil. Which the service manual calls for on the initial oil fill up with a NEW engine. It needs the extra .5 qrt to fill into all the nook and crannies.

Mine ran sluggish for the first 100-200 miles, then kicked in. Take her easy though, I never banged her past 4k rpm.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Hey I only said I bet you 'A' cookie, not a whole bag
It’s late and I am hungry, plus going cold turkey increases the appetite.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 AM
6MT Coupe
It’s late and I am hungry, plus going cold turkey increases the appetite.
Hang in there buddy...you can do it. Remember first three days are a ****.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 AM
6MT Coupe
Back on topic.............in a sense....
Just an FYI to all here. Really it's an introduction.

ZeeForce has been and still is, an extremely valuable long term contributor to my350Z's OC thread. Us G's are by no means the only ones with this plague. I have learned a lot on the Z thread and have contributed myself. I feel very fortunate that ZeeForce has found time and wishes to contribute here on Driver for all our benefit.

So with that said, welcome to Driver Curtis and thank you for your valuable time over here.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This gives me some hope as i'm in the moderate consumption category with about 1.5 qts consumed per oil change....My car just turned 12,000 miles this week.....Only drive her about 3-4 times a week and the ditances are pretty short...I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago and will check on this at about 500 miles...I really don't want to go through this new engine stuff unless it is absolutely necessary.

I can attest to the break in…..10k-18k miles is absolutely correct…. Me being the source.

I had my V2’ used oil analyzed and the scientist stated that with these engines, we need to be easy on them for the 15-18k miles, for a complete component seal. I am not ready to post up all my findings yet as I am still waiting for my last questions to be answered back from the UOA scientist. I can say that I asked about every known question regarding the oil consumption, break in procedures and more. I will post up some information on the 350z thread and try to get it over here also.

We now have a used oil analysis on a oil consuming V1 and now a V2 with low mileage. We have what failed on the V1 and what has been fixed on the V2. What to look for in the new engine, and some preventative actions to ensure break in and all the components seal. I will be conversing and sharing data with 06CPV35 – John, and between the two of us, will have some good information posted up soon.

G35coupe35,
You will consume oil on the first oil change interval; the engine has a lot of fuel dilution from the assembly lubes of the internals, which is breaking down the oil and causing some consumption. Not to worry, mine was 10mm down from the “H” hash mark on dipstick, at the time of the first oil change at 3,750 miles.

Did you check the oil level when you picked up the car from the dealer after the install, on a cold engine or at least when it has sat for 30 minutes?
If not, there is a good possibility that the dealer did not fill up the oil with an initial 5.5 quarts of oil. Which the service manual calls for on the initial oil fill up with a NEW engine. It needs the extra .5 qrt to fill into all the nook and crannies.

Mine ran sluggish for the first 100-200 miles, then kicked in. Take her easy though, I never banged her past 4k rpm.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
First of all, thanks to 06CPV35 and ZeeForce for responding promptly. And thanks for setting up this forum with all the valuable information!!

As ZeeForce suggested, I plan to give one more chance for the next oil cycle. I am also going to start out by sending some letters to Consumer Affairs. I want to hear what they have to say. Although now that I am totally in distrust with Infiniti and its QoS, I do take the suggestion seriously – if things are not addressed properly, I’ll have to think about legal consultation. I am just surprised that there is this array of models with the same problem over years and Infiniti has not reacted appropriately.

I am still interested to hear more on users’ experience with the new V2. Am I the only one experiencing a different ride??

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Just an FYI to all here. Really it's an introduction.

ZeeForce has been and still is, an extremely valuable long term contributor to my350Z's OC thread. Us G's are by no means the only ones with this plague. I have learned a lot on the Z thread and have contributed myself. I feel very fortunate that ZeeForce has found time and wishes to contribute here on Driver for all our benefit.

So with that said, welcome to Driver Curtis and thank you for your valuable time over here.
Thanks for the kind words:

My intro: I have been a Z enthusiast since 1978 as the original owner of a 280Z up until it was stolen in 1996. Currently have 2 350Z’s parked in the garage, an 05 SS and the 06 IF. Some mods done, mostly suspension,spacer, Nismo CAI, Nismo catback, StopTech Stage 2, future mod will be wheel spacers until I can plunk 8g’s for two sets of wheels. Which will look like a long time.

Been a member on tech since 04 and started on my350 in June with the oil consumption thread. Both forums do take up a lot of time as I track the stats on spreedsheet and bug new installee’ and old timers for updates. Chime in once in awhile on some topics. Not much in favor of all the hoop la in the BB arena going on over there.

I was one of the first installes’ to post pics of the V2 and help out with advice on the battle with NNA. Was also the first to get my hands on the TSB and posted it, rewrote the first page with the help of 06CPV35 – John, and since then have been reading up on used oil analysis.

So John and myself are sort of vets with the oil consumption issue.

As I mentioned, my time lately has been spent on used oil analysis, specifically to see what Nissan did to rectify the OC issue and how is the new engine holding up with break in. Today I received back the last of my questions to the scientist, and now have enough to write up a comparison of the V1 and V2 along with some tips.

Without going into detail tonight, I can suggest to all new installee’s is to get a used oil analysis. It’s 60.00 that is well spent. There is a lot more going on with these new engines (on a positive side) that is causing the oil to break down and cause immediate oil consumption during break in. Also to popular belief that the engine is broke in after the 1200 miles on the owners manual, is not true. And beating the engine at 1200 plus miles is not helping the break in, by not letting the internal components seal properly.

That’s all for now:
1) Get a used oil analysis (UOA)
2) Switch to Shell V Power gas
3) Clean and/or replace the air filter

These are only a few tips, really go for the UOA (used oil analysis) there is so much that can be seen with an oil test, short of tearing down the engine.

Markiev37, sounds like you are on the original engine? If so I would still go for the UOA, there is so much that can be seen under the microscope as to what is going on inside your engine. 12k miles would be great for an UOA to see if the rings have seated. The $60.00 UOA not only gets you a test, but you are working with the tribologist scientist on getting the car back in shape with his suggestions.

g35coupe35, I would give it more than one oil change. If you took it easy on the first 1200 mi, and still are, there is a very good chance you can get the OC down to nothing with a UOA and the recommendations from the tribologist. He is amazing with this diagnosis, and they are easy fixes. I am on my way now to bring mine down. Mine is breaking in perfectly, just a few too much fuel dilution that needs addressed, but that is because the engine is fresh and has a lot of assembly lubes that need to be addressed.

OK I have said enough for now. I will post up something in the next few days.

Do not give up that easy on the V2, get an experts oil analysis, you be surprised as to what is currently going on with all the reported OC happening’s with the V2’s.

Cheers
-Curtis

The following users liked this post:
FriedLumpia (11-29-2013)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Yes I am on my original engine Zeeforce..I just read through the UOA thread on my 350z.com and learned tons of stuff...Definatley will send in a sample to dyson labs on my next oil change that will be at 15k miles...Thanks for the info and look forward to reading the results you are going to post

Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 AM
^ Wise decision, give yourself about 2 weeks prior to the oil change to order the sample kit. The key is to catch a good sample after the oil has burned off any moisture in the oil. A 20 mile freeway drive before the oil change will do it. Need to catch it while it's still hot. The results from the testing will get you to appreciate your car even more with a healthy and well protected lubricated engine.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
6MT Coupe
Had my UOA done on my oem VQ that showed fuel dilute in oil and blow-by.
My UOA sample was done with ~4700mi on Synth oil between 20K-25K on VQ, just pass complete VQ break-in.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-26-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added type of oil - Synth
Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
6MT Coupe
And if you want to become educated on UOA's, this is the thread to read. It shows what UOA results SHOULD be like with HEALTHY VQ's with the different oils used.
Main context of thread below, is to find the best oil for our VQ's with the best protection

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258663

^Resolute, the OP there, has spent a lot of time and updates his first page with oil recommendations as UOA's from members are occasionally posted up.
He has acquired quite a database on oils from members in which are good, so so and not so good. His first page also gives a basic crash course on UOA's.
Thread is long but very good readings. Knowledge is power

-side note-
OP here (Glex) thank you for this thread. Seems this has transformed to be the main OC thread now, which is fine with me being there's so many here on Driver and was hard for me to keep track of wide spread info/experiences from G35 members.
Hope this is okay with you, otherwise post if it's not ok to what your thread is/has transformed to.
Also thank you for being the one on Driver in informing us Infiniti owners of the long awaited TSB that finally followed Nissan's TSB for the Z's

The following users liked this post:
FriedLumpia (11-29-2013)
Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, I just got my G (2006 rev-up m/t) back today after having the engine replaced. I didn't have much of a battle but it did take awhile due to the fact I don't put a lot of miles on the car. On 7/13/07 @ 22526mi I took the car in for a OC test. I returned the car on 8/8/07 @ 23531mi. They tested and said it was borderline and needed more information. I paid for an oil change and they marked the dip stick. I returned 1/9/08 @ 24605 and the oil level dropped 11mm on the dipstick they topped it off and had me return after another 1000mi. I returned on 2/20/08 @ 25,688 and engine oil level dropped 12mm. The service department was very appologetic and said that Infiniti requires them run all these test and we're so sorry blah blah.... I was told that the car qualifies for a long block engine assembly replacement #10102-ac7m9. It took three days for the install. I did ask the tech how many he has done so far and his reply was that I was #5.
Parts: Engine - Bare 10102-AC7m9
Oil and filter
Long Life Antifreeze
Labor: 0
Expenses: 0

My first impressions on driving home was that it felt new. No strange noises, clicks, or whistles. nice stiff clutch. I can't really tell any differences in horsepower. All in all I am pretty satified with the service even though it was during the course of 6/7 months and three thousand miles later.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I am in the market for a g35 and I really want an 06 or 07, I am however well aware of this issue.

I would like to avoid this all together, and the TSB states cars built before jnkcv54e(*)7m910256 are affected with this issue.

What I dont understand is how one determines what falls in that category would that mean for example that car jnkcv54e(*)7m910257 is not affected?

Anyone care to chime in ?

Thank you,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB