TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
thanks for the opinion. i'm just afraid of my car getting beat up in the swap process. also, the possibility of spending all that time and the new motor is just as bad or worse, then there's always that possibility of the car not feeling "right" like when it was new and having other stuff going wrong. i'm trying to decide whether my car is really "broke" so i can go fix it. i'm thinking about this more as i want to start modding. guess it's gonna have to wait.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by VQdriver
thanks for the opinion. i'm just afraid of my car getting beat up in the swap process. also, the possibility of spending all that time and the new motor is just as bad or worse, then there's always that possibility of the car not feeling "right" like when it was new and having other stuff going wrong. i'm trying to decide whether my car is really "broke" so i can go fix it. i'm thinking about this more as i want to start modding. guess it's gonna have to wait.
I hear you on the getting beat up in the swap process. It's like choosing a heart surgeon and picking the best one for successful careful surgery. My local dealer has proven their incompetencies of their mechanics on simple warranty issues. So I awhile back, went to another dealer further away and they're on the ball, done some replacements already and have 5 master mech techs on board so....they get the job.

I've heard these new replacements pull harder and smoother than the oem factories.
Heard it hear, 350Z OC thread (excuding the ones that still have OC issues over there) and from my SM at dealer.
SM said you're going to love this new VQ. Works for me

Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Im waiting on an answer on my dealer to let me know if I'm going to get a new engine or not. I started an oil consumption process on 12/31 after I got an oil change at the dealer. The bulletin came out after I got the oil change but i came to the dealer the other day at 1000 miles after my oil change. They measured it and it was 12mm low. That is way over the limit. however they told me that I would have to do it over again and come back in another 1000 miles because they dont know if the car was filled with oil all the way to the full mark. I was like you dont fill your cars up to the full mark when you change the oil. He was like I dont know what other people do and we cant guarantee it was filled to the top. I was like what kind of quality is that. Called consumer affairs and other dealers and they said that was ridiculous and its there job to make sure its full!!! Im about to lose my mind with this dealer!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know how much a new engine will effect the resale value of car?

Last edited by Vblick; 02-06-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Thumbs up

Well my car is in the dealer for a new Engine, the engine on my car seized while it was under Oil Comsumption Testing, i was burning oil before i took my car in for OC they gave me an oil change and i was told to come back at 1000 miles well i was on 850 when i was driving, engine started knocking, next thing u know it was clack, clack, clack......... then it went silent and never recovered so i got it towed to the dealer since all infinities with warranty comes with full roadside assistance meaning free towing at no charge for those who didnt know, the service advisor told me that the engine was done that there was no way to get it to crank so he order a long block assembly that mean a new ENGINE, keep in mind guys that have a
05 G35 Coupe 5AT!!!!!!!!!
so for those that have a 05 or 06 5AT or 6MT keep your eyes on the OIL, Dealers are out to digg on our pockets, lucky me i deal with an Honest Dealership in NYC! came with the car in a flat bed and no questions asked they even hooked me up with a 08 G35x for 2 full weeks almost! Kings Infiniti in Brooklyn NY is the ****!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Wow...another non revup VQ with serious OC issues. Interesting.
Wonder what VQ part number they're going to use for your long block replacement. Give us the 411 on that when you find out. I'm very curious, thanx.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
well i spoke to my tech he said it was the oil pump that went bad on the motor plus a few other engine realted issues maybe piston rings, can u imagine that this mistake was done to so many other cars with non rev up engines, well a quick advice for those who own a 5AT dont listen to what the dealer says if u think u are having problems with OC, and your car still under warranty bring it back to the dealer

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Just got my G35 back with the new engine. It has the 10102-AC7M9 part number on the invoice, so apparently I have the so-called "V2" engine. Too soon to know if it's a success, but I'll post a status report as soon as I put a couple thousand miles on it. One thing I did notice is that it does seem a little sluggish compared to my original motor. Pretty disappointing. I don't know, maybe it's because I was rolling in an '07 G35 sedan loaner for a while, I got used to the extra torque. Man, I never realized how much stronger the HR feels in the low to mid range than the rev-up VQ engines, even in those big sedans. Makes me very tempted to just say screw it and go get a G37.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Us Law 101 = The Moss-Magnussen Act basically says that unless Infiniti gives you the oil changes for free, they (Infiniti) can not! - as a condition of a warranty specify who changes your oil , as long as that oil chage is done within the manufacturers specifications. So as long as you can provide proof the maint. was done they have to honor your warranty claim.

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
Check it out

it's a good law that can help us DIY guys

Old 02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Engine oil problems

I just got some new info on this problem...can't reveal the source, but it is from an infinity tech. It seems that the cats in the car are feeding back some very abrasive particles back into the engine as part of I assume the EGR and this is causing premature wear due to these particles getting into the cylinders and the oil. Any one else heard this...if its true....have they replace cats as part of the TSB?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 PM
6MT Coupe
My logic says cat particles can't travel reverse of exhaust gas velocity and enter combustion chamber to thrash rings, but what do I know. Am I a mechanical engineer, yes. Am I an internal combustion engineer, no. I agree with your assumption of EGR. That would be the only way imo exhaust gases could re-enter combustion chamber.

With that said, then why some revups never had OC issues and same with non revups or get worse over time like mine hasn't (1qt/2300-2500mi and steady for 25K miles since new) That cat/egr theory could hold true in some cases of OC, but not all cases with VQ OC issues imho.

I'm shooting for new cats with a song and a prayer when my V2 is replaced. No indication on TSB that those are to be replaced. Bet you a cookie in looking at my tailpipe tips with burnt oil residual inside of them for the past 25K, my cats are loaded with that crap too and will fail prematurely down the road. Probably at smog test time when emission warranty expired too

Interesting twist, thanks for the 411. I'll keep what you said in the back of my mind

Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Help.
I've been dealing with this consumption issue ever since I bought the car(February 2007). With this TSB I thought I was finally going to be relieved of this issue but no. I started a claim with corporate after finishing 3 consumption tests with my dealer. After receiving no new information/calls from corporate I decided to give them a call myself. After numerous attempts I finally got the lady who initially called me to pick up the phone. She told me she had talked to the service manager at my dealer and was told that my car didnt qualify. I am baffled. Here are my stats:
First test: car has consumed 1/2 QT in 1286 miles
2nd: car has consumed 1/2 QT in 1262 miles
3rd: car has consumed 1/2 QT in 1634 miles ( clearly this one wasnt exactly 1/2 qt but probably closer to 2/3... fvking dealership)

If we assume 1/2 qt = 12mm burned since the entire hashed mark represents 1 qt at 24 mm anyone could see tha my car falls into the no good category(page 7/8) 3 times and blatantly during the first 2.

My question is how could they reject me... am I missing something here? I tried calling my service manager but he wouldnt pick up. If someone could give me some advice or tell me if my logic is incorrect I would really appreciate it. Never go to ramsey infiniti(NJ)...after this mess is cleared up I will be done with them.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 PM
6MT Coupe
^Very baffling for sure. You qualify hands down per TSB each time. You only had to have OC confirmed once per TSB, not three times like it was prior to TSB release, btw.

All I can think is go to another dealer, cuz it sounds like that dealer is bad and would you really want them to be the ones in replacing your VQ? I switched dealers bc my local one has proved in the past their mechanics are incompetent and service dept in general is sneaky and not honest. No way are they touching my G anymore.

Last thing if still denied, file with BBB. Show them your documented OC test results and TSB. With that proof, BBB will most likely change Infiniti's attitude toward you and your G.

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-15-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^Very baffling for sure. You qualify hands down per TSB each time. You only had to have OC confirmed once per TSB, not three times like it was prior to TSB release, btw.

All I can think is go to another dealer, cuz it sounds like that dealer is bad and would you really want them to be the ones in replacing your VQ? I switched dealers bc my local one has proved in the past their mechanics are incompetent and service dept in general is sneaky and not honest. No way are they touching my G anymore.

Last thing if still denied, file with BBB. Show them your documented OC test results and TSB. With that proof, BBB will most likely change Infiniti's attitude toward you and your G.

G/L
I had been doing the oc tests prior to the TSB release.. it was released sometime after my 3rd test. I'll call the service manager with a firm argument.. enough of this bs.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by B~PAIN
I had been doing the oc tests prior to the TSB release.. it was released sometime after my 3rd test. I'll call the service manager with a firm argument.. enough of this bs.
Oh...understand why all your tests now and that's maybe why SM and Infiniti said no. Prior to TSB, consumption had to be 1qt/1000mi or worse for approved replacement. You might have to do one more test bc TSB requires OC consumption to be measured in mm's with ruler, not a visual interpretation in quart(s) like before. Go with the flow bro. You need the SM on your side to tell the regional rep to tell Infiniti to approve you. This is a TSB, not a recall. Just keep that in mind when you talk to your SM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB