TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rhampsterwha2 wrote: "I think I have an oil consumption issue..... changed oil 2500 miles ago started not being able to get readings on the dipstick added 2 quarts and didn't see anything so I drained the engine just now and only had about the same 2 in it

I went by Infiniti they just told me to change it again , which im doing today then im going to monitor the level, there hasn't been any recorded instances of an 07 5AT V35DE having those issuses that i k ow of, will infiniti perform the oc test with my mods? Intake/test pipes and exhaust"

It looks as if your engine has passed the point of no return.
However Infiniti will do their best to postpone your problem til no power train warranty is available.
Take pictures of the dipstick every 100 miles and document.
Save on computer.
Were all previous oil changes done at the dealer?
How many miles on the car?

You may be lucky because its consuming way to much oil and they will be forced to replace the engine

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
37k on the car
I do my own changes but I have documentation of every change in the maintenance manual, I using this tsb im at the point where the oil has been changed and I need to watch the level and listen for noises, there is a noise in the upper rpms that I started noticing around the same time as when I couldn't see any oil on the dip stick

Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Self monitoring is good (I did and still do the same on my replacement), but it really doesn't mean ish to the Dealer or Infiniti. No/little oil in 2500mi says it all.

If it were my G I start official OC testing so it's in Infiniti's 'system'. Your Dealer saying what they said tells me they are delaying that important first official step toward replacement.

Keep in mine the TSB doesn't apply to your VQ. Yours is a non-revup (5at) VQ where-as the TSB is for revups (6mt's).

Mods: Depends on the Dealer. Some mod friendly, some not.

G/L

Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
REPLY TO rhampsterwha2
Your mileage is still OK for Power-Train Warranty.

From all I red in the past 8 months or more, it seems to me that the reason more MT is affected by the oil problem is because the Driver has control over the RPM and shifting much more than the AT ones.
From your story, its clear that if you take the AT models up in RPM it will give you the same results.
That means the engines are not up to the power and loads they were built for.
On the Cadilac web-sites, the same problems exists on most of their cars with the NorthStar Engines, whos drivers are reving up their engines.
The Cadilac Mechanics are puzzeled because they opened those engines up and found nothing wrong with the cylinders, pistons or rings and their reply today is: Keep driving, the car needs to be driven hard to settle the rings inside the piston cylinders assemblies.
I do not believe that, its just what you say when you have nothing or do not want to aknowledge inability to diagnose a problem!!
Most Saturns with high rev engines are equally problematic!!!

P.S. Today I replace my oil-air separator on the PCV Valve side to a smaller one, because the amount of oil left behind is very small, about one table spoon in 1,700 miles.
The other side oil catcher has no oil in it at all.
So it must be that the oil passes thru the oil rings upwards, probably because of the oil jets at the bottom of each cylinder, which sprays oil up into the cylinder.
The only problem with that is: Why it startes all of a sudden around 25,000 miles and not sooner (or later).
I am probably the only G35/Z350 user who has a built-in accellerator pedal-reducer, that makes it impossible to accellerate hard from "Zero" and it still happend !!!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my 2006 6mt to the dealer on 7/13 for the oil consumption test I checked my oil level today 8/9 after aprx 938 miles and its so low that it does not even reach the grid area. I called the dealership and told them how low it is and that I took a photo of the level and the mileage.
I'm waiting for a call from the service manager as for the next steps.
So I may take it to them today to record the extremely oil level.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
oil consumption

Originally Posted by ajm216
I took my 2006 6mt to the dealer on 7/13 for the oil consumption test I checked my oil level today 8/9 after aprx 938 miles and its so low that it does not even reach the grid area. I called the dealership and told them how low it is and that I took a photo of the level and the mileage.
I'm waiting for a call from the service manager as for the next steps.
So I may take it to them today to record the extremely oil level.
I am surprised that they did not seal yor dipstick.
Did they mark the oil drain plug !?, Did you look underneath?
If not, they may be very serious guys, keep us informed please!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I went to the dealership this morning to have the oil level checked. I was ready for a battle just in case the service manager came back with some B.S. regarding the OC test.

They let the car sit for about 30min and then checked the level, the service manager stated that the oil level is extremely low and that he's going to call Infiniti and get the process started. He came back 20 min later told me they are going to replace the motor gave me a loaner M37x and said they'd call me in a few days.

I knew there was no doubt that the car had the OC problem I had just made 1000 miles since the oil change for the OC test and the oil wasn't even reaching the grid area on the dipstick.

I'll report back once I get my car back.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
wechslerl, i pretty much drive my car like a manual always in the slapstick mode and i agree with your theories aswell

ill be going to Infiniti tomorrow after work to see if i can get them to start documenting my oil level since i just changed it (i have the date and miles for that change)
i wonder if they end up giving me a new motor if ill get a Rev-Up since thats what they normally replace my friend is a Lead Master tech there and i bet he can make sure that happens that way (if i get a new motor) would be sweet to be the only guy with a Rev-up and AT transmission

Old 08-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
i wonder if they end up giving me a new motor if ill get a Rev-Up since thats what they normally replace my friend is a Lead Master tech there and i bet he can make sure that happens that way (if i get a new motor) would be sweet to be the only guy with a Rev-up and AT transmission
Not gonna happen buddy not even in a million years. The TSB does not apply to you so they might go with the industry standard of 1qt/1000 miles. Even if you qualify and know the CEO of Nissan personally you will still not get a rev up motor.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
ehh its worth a shot

but still my car used 4qts in 2500 miles thats not good..... i dont think ill accept them telling me 1qt/1000 miles, thats just laziness to me i still have plenty of warranty on the car that they should fix the problem but i will say that my Infiniti is much more receptive to problems unlike others ive read on this site as well as understanding about the modds on my car and that they dont have a thing to do with these issues

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Engine replacement

Originally Posted by ajm216
I went to the dealership this morning to have the oil level checked. I was ready for a battle just in case the service manager came back with some B.S. regarding the OC test.

They let the car sit for about 30min and then checked the level, the service manager stated that the oil level is extremely low and that he's going to call Infiniti and get the process started. He came back 20 min later told me they are going to replace the motor gave me a loaner M37x and said they'd call me in a few days.

I knew there was no doubt that the car had the OC problem I had just made 1000 miles since the oil change for the OC test and the oil wasn't even reaching the grid area on the dipstick.

I'll report back once I get my car back.
Congradulations, now, please tell us again
HOW MANY MILES ON THE CAR?
Did you do all the Oil services at the same Dealer?
What model year is the car

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by wechslerl
Congradulations, now, please tell us again
HOW MANY MILES ON THE CAR?
Did you do all the Oil services at the same Dealer?
What model year is the car
Thanks!!!!

I brought the car used in 4/2011 from a used car dealer
I have not seen the service history for the car.

2006 I brought it with 47k on it

The first time I checked the oil after getting the car it was about a quart low, the next time I checked it there was no oil level. I had to add about 4 quarts to it and called for the OC testing.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
ehh its worth a shot

but still my car used 4qts in 2500 miles thats not good..... i dont think ill accept them telling me 1qt/1000 miles, thats just laziness to me i still have plenty of warranty on the car that they should fix the problem but i will say that my Infiniti is much more receptive to problems unlike others ive read on this site as well as understanding about the modds on my car and that they dont have a thing to do with these issues
Your Vq is consuming more than that industry standard. It qualifies

Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
it qualifies if it were a 6mt but its not sooo ill just have to explain that i drive like a manual the transmission should be irrelevant its the constant higher RPMs that the engine is exposed to

im going to Infiniti in about an hour to talk to them i already came in last week when i wasnt reading oil now i know whats up and will see what they can do

Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
NGK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive searched a few threads and can only find the G37 TSB, can anyone link me to the 2005-2007 G35 TSB in .pdf form preferably -

Thx, NGK

edit: and I didnt feel like going through 105 pages of this thread, thx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB