TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1904G35
I checked my oil level today the oil level was about half level@800 miles today. Hopefully this is normal...
@700 miles between 1/8 and a 1/4 in. burned which is considered in the okay category @ ~5 mm burned

Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, i tried searching through this monster thread for the answers to my questions but couldnt find them.

I have a non infiniti warranty, and just finished the OC test. The dealer said it needed a new short block but my warranty company said they have to tear the engine down first to find whats causing the consumption (i.e. something worn out of spec) in order for them to pay for the new short block. Im ok with that BUT, if the dealer doesnt find anything, all the coin to tear the engine down comes out of my pocket.

So my main question is, what exactly is causing the oil consumption? Is it the piston rings, exhaust valve seals, etc? The service writer suggested we try a compression test and a leak down test first but i feel like that could just be a waste of time and money...

Thoughts?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada
Alright, i tried searching through this monster thread for the answers to my questions but couldnt find them.

I have a non infiniti warranty, and just finished the OC test. The dealer said it needed a new short block but my warranty company said they have to tear the engine down first to find whats causing the consumption (i.e. something worn out of spec) in order for them to pay for the new short block. Im ok with that BUT, if the dealer doesnt find anything, all the coin to tear the engine down comes out of my pocket.

So my main question is, what exactly is causing the oil consumption? Is it the piston rings, exhaust valve seals, etc? The service writer suggested we try a compression test and a leak down test first but i feel like that could just be a waste of time and money...

Thoughts?
I had a non Infiniti warranty when I brought my car. I took it to the dealer to get my seat fixed which would have cost about $1500. Chick in service said if you had our warranty it would be covered. I cancelled the warranty I had got a refund and purchased the Infiniti extended warranty.

Having the Infiniti warranty cuts out all of that B.S., plus you get Infiniti parts.

I'd talk to the dealer about purchasing the warranty. Getting the Infiniti extended warranty was the best move I could have made.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome write up!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by ajm216
The hot oil smell has returned, yesterday I was determined to find its source. I removed the splash guard again and noticed an oil drip stain on it. I took me a little while of digging around but I located the source. Its above the AC compressor up high buy where the dipstick goes in but its not the dipstick. I attached a photo looking from under the car upwards.
She's going back to the dealer today. Even with that leakage I'm not losing anywhere near as much oil when the engine was consuming oil.
It may be a gasket issue or something not torqued down enough hopefully.
Aside from the leak the car is feeling stronger and stronger as I put on more miles I'm almost at 1000 miles now on the new motor.
I picked her up today the service manager was extremely apologetic about the situation. It funny be every time I look at this darn car I fall in love with it again (don't judge me LOL). Manager said we took care of the issue and checked for leaks drove it 20 miles and checked again. When I reached home about 30 min later enjoying the fairly open highway while staying under 4k RPM there was no smell except that "new" smell.

I ordered at rear spoiler & USA Spec IPod interface, installing those will be my weekend fun.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Just for clarification, and yes I started reading but didn't find a definitive answer to this question.

Does this TSB cover cars not under warranty? Say a 60-70k mile car thats more than 6 years old... Or would you have to purchase an extended warranty for it to be covered.

I'm looking at 04 sedan's but have since expanded my search into 05-06 to have more options, and have been hesitant because of this issue being apparently common.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada

Thoughts?
Replacing the short block is not going to cut it. I am on my second warrantied short block... yes folks, SECOND SHORT BLOCK.. After i recieved my first short block i drove it for about 4,000 miles and i heard my valves chattering again due to oil consumption. I beleive that the rev up motor was a design flaw and that the HR should have been in the 05-06 g35.. (if only they had waited a year).

Anyways to my best of knowledge the oil consumption is caused by shitty o rings, pistons, heads. When you have oil consumption you are damaging you motor. Damaging your motor like this will cause bad compression. And bad compression will cause you in theory to burn oil... The original TSB Infiniti sent out said that if your burning more than 6-8 (i forget which exact number, lazy) your granted a long block. Obviously recently Infiniti thought they could cheap out on their customers and install a short block. This entire ordeal to me is humorous. They bone heads over at Infinite really need to step their game up. Terrible fuking customer service. yet its entertaining to be able to troll over at infiniti so hard. I mean its basic mechanics knowledge... Why am i still burning oil on my second short block? They keep replacing the pistons but thats not causing the problem anymore. Now you must fix the top end of the motor due to bad compression and fuked heads. Why not just get a long black to begin with? It makes no EFFING sense to me. When i confront these things to Infitini they look startled. I get no response from them except them telling me there is nothing to do about it. I will get a long block out of this, watch me.

Btw im burning 18mm of oil in less than 1,000 miles.

The following users liked this post:
ajm216 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by TrixR4kidz
Replacing the short block is not going to cut it. I am on my second warrantied short block... yes folks, SECOND SHORT BLOCK.. After i recieved my first short block i drove it for about 4,000 miles and i heard my valves chattering again due to oil consumption. I beleive that the rev up motor was a design flaw and that the HR should have been in the 05-06 g35.. (if only they had waited a year).

Anyways to my best of knowledge the oil consumption is caused by shitty o rings, pistons, heads. When you have oil consumption you are damaging you motor. Damaging your motor like this will cause bad compression. And bad compression will cause you in theory to burn oil... The original TSB Infiniti sent out said that if your burning more than 6-8 (i forget which exact number, lazy) your granted a long block. Obviously recently Infiniti thought they could cheap out on their customers and install a short block. This entire ordeal to me is humorous. They bone heads over at Infinite really need to step their game up. Terrible fuking customer service. yet its entertaining to be able to troll over at infiniti so hard. I mean its basic mechanics knowledge... Why am i still burning oil on my second short block? They keep replacing the pistons but thats not causing the problem anymore. Now you must fix the top end of the motor due to bad compression and fuked heads. Why not just get a long black to begin with? It makes no EFFING sense to me. When i confront these things to Infitini they look startled. I get no response from them except them telling me there is nothing to do about it. I will get a long block out of this, watch me.

Btw im burning 18mm of oil in less than 1,000 miles.
If the short block I have doesn't do the trick and based on what I read chances are that it won't. I'll raise hell to get a long block on the next go round.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
^ exactly.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
i will be finding out by the end of the day if my 07 5AT will be replaced, havent had the car in my possession since the middle of last month i really hope im approved because i miss my car sooo bad.... not that i dont mind my loaner G37 but i want MINE

Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
dbl post but whatever

IM APPROVED.... car is coming back to me in 2 weeks with a new short block

Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Went In for my second consumption test out of 5 I was told I had to do.

So far....

Test 1: 1,000km - 0.7L burned
Test 2: 1,450km - 1.0L burned

By the looks of it I am burning about .7L per 1000km. This is insane for any car really. If I did a synthetic oil change and waited until 10,000km to change my oil....well... The car wouldn't make it.

Let's hope they replace my engine and don't give me any Problems.

I have an 06 6mt Coupe with 51,000 miles.

Will keep you guys posted.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
dbl post but whatever

IM APPROVED.... car is coming back to me in 2 weeks with a new short block
That's good news!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by ajm216
I picked her up today the service manager was extremely apologetic about the situation. It funny be every time I look at this darn car I fall in love with it again (don't judge me LOL). Manager said we took care of the issue and checked for leaks drove it 20 miles and checked again. When I reached home about 30 min later enjoying the fairly open highway while staying under 4k RPM there was no smell except that "new" smell.

I ordered at rear spoiler & USA Spec IPod interface, installing those will be my weekend fun.
As far as the leaks are concerned that appears to be taken care of I've put about 700 miles on the car since I've gotten it back the 2nd time. I don't smell that excessive hot oil smell anymore. I'm out of the break-in period so I've been easing into the higher RPM range.

Hopefully the OC is gone but only time will tell. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ozzy87
Went In for my second consumption test out of 5 I was told I had to do.

So far....

Test 1: 1,000km - 0.7L burned
Test 2: 1,450km - 1.0L burned

By the looks of it I am burning about .7L per 1000km. This is insane for any car really. If I did a synthetic oil change and waited until 10,000km to change my oil....well... The car wouldn't make it.

Let's hope they replace my engine and don't give me any Problems.

I have an 06 6mt Coupe with 51,000 miles.

Will keep you guys posted.

Itl have to be more than 1 quart per 1000 miles before Infiniti will consider a replacement, reason is because they consider 1qt/1000mi to be "normal" oil use

Thanks guys im glad I ended up getting approved! As far as I know im the first non rev-up to receive a replacement due to OC
it was amazing that I would burn 2quarts in less than 1000miles and only 38K on the motor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB