TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Texasscout
They would have to PROVE that it caused the problem. More than likely they wouldn't even notice it.
I agree and that's been known for years it must be proved (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). However, choose your battles if Dealer/Corp wants to make it an issue = headache if they do imo. Some techs are smart/savvy when it comes to the visual internal mod done to the non-revup lower plenum. Some techs will say nothing some will and as you say and I agree, to dumb to know lol. Although, the spacer that usually is used with the MREV is a dead give-away even if your dumb as a rock. Lots of Tonys stuff is for off-road use only too. If the MREV is in that catagory I think you'll be screwed even with the Magnuson-Moss on your side

Plus I was only giving my .02 to 'Black Acc' concerning which mods to remove before starting OC testing. As mentioned for years here about which mods ok or not (such a redundant question on this thread for years), it depends on Dealer. I'm in the group of better some-what safe than sorry/hassled. Some dealers are even asshats about intakes and cat backs lol. One member here was denied b/c of HFC's years ago (might of been on my350z OC thread, I forget), you get my point

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
I agree and that's been known for years it must be proved (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). However, choose your battles if Dealer/Corp wants to make it an issue = headache if they do imo. Some techs are smart/savvy when it comes to the visual internal mod done to the non-revup lower plenum. Some techs will say nothing some will and as you say and I agree, to dumb to know lol. Although, the spacer that usually is used with the MREV is a dead give-away even if your dumb as a rock. Lots of Tonys stuff is for off-road use only too. If the MREV is in that catagory I think you'll be screwed even with the Magnuson-Moss on your side

Plus I was only giving my .02 to 'Black Acc' concerning which mods to remove before starting OC testing. As mentioned for years here about which mods ok or not (such a redundant question on this thread for years), it depends on Dealer. I'm in the group of better some-what safe than sorry/hassled. Some dealers are even asshats about intakes and cat backs lol. One member here was denied b/c of HFC's years ago (might of been on my350z OC thread, I forget), you get my point
I completly agree, you have to choose your battles. I for one do not have the time to deal with crapp like that.

I decided to just suck it up and take the mods off before taking it to the dealer. Hopefully I'll be removing everything today on a lift.
Rather be safe then sorry...

Thanks for all the input guys!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajm216
Well the dealer called they did an overhaul on the engine and the are going to monitor the oil so I'm to bring it back after 1000 miles.

I'll let you know how she is once I pick her up in a few hours.

Well I've put about 1300 miles on the car since picking it up.
I checked the oil at around 1100 miles and it was still at the H mark on the dipstick and the oil was a nice golden color.
I checked it again about a week later the oil is dirty and about at the halfway mark on the dipstick.

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow for them to read the oil level. What's really funny is if I would have taken it in at 1000 everything would have check out okay because the level was still on the H mark. I always check the oil after the car has been sitting for a few hours so that I can get an accurate reading.

I just don't know about this damn car or damn Nissan/Infiniti.
I really wish I would have gotten an M3!!!!!!

So what did the short block accomplish .... Slower Oil consumption?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
engine with my new block crossed 1200 miles this past weekend so i guess im finally able to have a little fun lol

my car NEVER was this strong even when i picked it up BRAND NEW.....

Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
engine with my new block crossed 1200 miles this past weekend so i guess im finally able to have a little fun lol

my car NEVER was this strong even when i picked it up BRAND NEW.....
Even though mine is still sipping oil I noticed the car felt stronger after the breaking in the short block.

Last edited by ajm216; 12-30-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
yeah mine sips too but thats "normal" im just happy not having to fill the oil pan every time i filled my gas tank

Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM
yeah mine sips too but thats "normal" im just happy not having to fill the oil pan every time i filled my gas tank
She's still sipping after your new block?
What kind of consumption are you seeing with yours?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
well i checked the level after 1000 miles it was only down just a tick idk if it was burned or just the new motor took a tad more than 5tqs

i am really not worried about it even if symptoms come back on the new block (possible) i know now that if you dont have more than 1qt/1000miles than its not worth it going to the dealership

and most likely if OC happens again it will have been way past this crappy replacement motor warranty's life..... thats the worst part about it my old warranty still had lots of miles left considering my morot only had 40K at the time of transplant

Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
well i checked the level after 1000 miles it was only down just a tick idk if it was burned or just the new motor took a tad more than 5tqs

i am really not worried about it even if symptoms come back on the new block (possible) i know now that if you dont have more than 1qt/1000miles than its not worth it going to the dealership

and most likely if OC happens again it will have been way past this crappy replacement motor warranty's life..... thats the worst part about it my old warranty still had lots of miles left considering my morot only had 40K at the time of transplant
I'm considering getting a High Capacity Oil Pan which adds an additional quart of oil to the capacity.
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...n01&c=pe&m=all

Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM
thats a good idea but i couldnt find how much lower it sits in respect to the ground

i could use it with no problems as VA roads are crap and i cant go any lower than 1" all around and still have a body kit, for some of the SOCAL ect drivers that are able to ride dumped may have a problem if it sits too low

Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM
thats a good idea but i couldnt find how much lower it sits in respect to the ground

i could use it with no problems as VA roads are crap and i cant go any lower than 1" all around and still have a body kit, for some of the SOCAL ect drivers that are able to ride dumped may have a problem if it sits too low

Our design expands into the available space below the engine, while keeping the pan within the protective confines of the chassis.

Should be cool I'm in MD and I travel to NYC often those roads are hellish. If I dropped my ride I know I'd catch some damage from bottoming out.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
yeah i just noticed your from MD lol you can do the Ebach Pros or Tien S-Techs like most of the Mid-A G's and be fine

Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm considering getting a High Capacity Oil Pan which adds an additional quart of oil to the capacity.
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...n01&c=pe&m=all

Dont see the point of that if the oil pump suction cant reach the extra quart of oil?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Our design expands into the available space below the engine, while keeping the pan within the protective confines of the chassis.
Originally Posted by VQ35 revv
Dont see the point of that if the oil pump suction cant reach the extra quart of oil?

read before posting, IE Stillen pan is wider not deeper

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My '04 5AT coupe is having pretty bad consumption issues. Changed my oil after 3400 miles and it only had about 2 quarts top left in it.

It has 59,4xx miles, and a warranty from the dealer still in effect. Will any factory warranty still cover an engine swap?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB