TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealer overfill when performing OC test?

So, I've read as much of this thread as I could given time and my likely longevity, (Thanks everybody for sharing so much information, by the way.) and I didn't see anyone mention this. I had my dealer perform the OC test a couple of months ago, and I decided to check the oil myself after they did, and my oil was VERY overfilled. The line was several inches up the dipstick from the 'H' mark. I called and asked about that, and they assured me that I didn't have access to their documentation, they would never do anything bad to my car, etc. I drove it for the 1,000 miles or so they needed me to and checked it again. Th line was lower, but still way over the'H' mark. I didn't bother taking it back to them to finish the test. They'll never replace my engine because I don't have docs on all my oil changes. I had an apartment fire about a year and a half after buying the car and lost a lot of my documentation, and I haven't been great about keeping it since, so even if the car failed I'd probably never qualify for a replacement. Has anybody else's OC test started with A LOT of extra oil?

I believe I've got 8000 more miles and about four more months of warranty. I think I just have a REALLY dishonest dealer. Not naming names, because with the problems I've had with them and this car, I can't afford an attorney.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Try a different Dealer. Hopefully they won't play that old BS trick of over-filling. That trick was mentioned long time ago on my350z OC thread, guess not here.

Physically verify oil levels at start and end of testing with Dealer. Don't leave your G out of your sight while there, especially on test return.

G/L

Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Took my car my car to Infiniti of Scottsdale (Don't go to Coulter Infiniti), Failed the first test and the second. Got approved for the short block when failed second test.

Dealer has had my car for a week now. Got a call today, I'm assuming they were test driving it, that the oil pump loss pressure and the new engine is no good. They ordered another engine but this time I'll be getting the long block. Not complaining, I guess. lol

Wondering if any of the you guys that have had your engine replaced, have any new feedback?
Did the consumption stop, is there less now?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much oil was it loosing during the first and second tests?
Where are you located, what city and state?
As for my G35 M6 4D, the new oil I am using for the past 1300 miles, has droped 6.5mm
which is about 2.5mm below the regular oil.
The oil is Castrol GTX 10W40 high mileage type, even if my car has now 33,000 miles total. It's not a significant reduction in consumption, just a little bit.
However what puzzels me is the fact that there is not a drop of oil in the two oil traps I installed 1500 miles ago !!!!!!!!!
That leaves two options: Oil drains thru the valve steams, or, there are some sprayers inside the cylinder walls that spray upward.
Because my compression test done 1500 miles ago shows 181+-1, which is 2.5% less than factory new of 185+-1. (my tester could be also off +-2.)

Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM
oil consumption

Forgot to ask what type of oil were you using.?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
About 1000 miles ago I changed my oil only to find out recently that there was no oil reading on my dipstick. Set an appointment with the Dealer and am currently in an OC test. Let's see what happens

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
oil consumption

How many miles on the car?
Is it Manual?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM
44000 miles on it and it is 6mt.

Car runs fine but has a weird clcking sound which appears to be valvetrain related or lifter? I heard rattling one morning as I was driving to work and stopped immediately and added oil to the car. Next morning checked the dipstick and there was no oil there...

Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Does the engine leaks externally?

If so it's Ok, but if not it may be already to late !!

Many engines like ours leak internally, but if caught on time, it can be saved.

If the rattle continues after adding oil, it's to late.

Is it less than 6 years ?

If so, it's covered under power train warranty.

However if you are lucky, you have decent master mechanic who will call for replacement.

Hope that's your dealership, because they have an unwritten instructions to deny it until you run out of warranty

Good luck !

Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wechslerl
How much oil was it loosing during the first and second tests?
Where are you located, what city and state?
As for my G35 M6 4D, the new oil I am using for the past 1300 miles, has droped 6.5mm
which is about 2.5mm below the regular oil.
The oil is Castrol GTX 10W40 high mileage type, even if my car has now 33,000 miles total. It's not a significant reduction in consumption, just a little bit.
However what puzzels me is the fact that there is not a drop of oil in the two oil traps I installed 1500 miles ago !!!!!!!!!
That leaves two options: Oil drains thru the valve steams, or, there are some sprayers inside the cylinder walls that spray upward.
Because my compression test done 1500 miles ago shows 181+-1, which is 2.5% less than factory new of 185+-1. (my tester could be also off +-2.)
I'm in Az. I don't really know how much it losing. I was using some off brand oil before I took it to the dealer. I knew it was consuming oil, so I didn't want to spend more money on oil.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM
It's stll clicking We'll see what the dealer says after 1000 miles

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Question to technically inclined members!Is the current oil pressure sender on the VQ35DE engine, a switch only, or it can be coupled to a pressure gauge?
If a new pressure sender is needed, then it will be good to keep the old one and the new one, so who makes an addaptor for two senders and what is the tread size on the existing sender?
Those of you who have done extensive modifications should know the answers!

Thanks
Leon Wechsler

Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^It's an on/off pressure switch unlike like the 350Z's that are continuous for variable oil pressure output. Our ECU's also don't support oil pressure sensors (electronically), where-as again 350Z ECU's do.

You could always install a separate mechanical oil pressure gauge to get around this. Don't know thread size sorry.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Thank you for your prompt response.
My intent is to keep the original and install the varriable gauge on a "T" extension to avoid any faults to the computer.
I am looking into finding adapters

Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
I think I have an oil consumption issue..... changed oil 2500 miles ago started not being able to get readings on the dipstick added 2 quarts and didn't see anything so I drained the engine just now and only had about the same 2 in it

I went by Infiniti they just told me to change it again , which im doing today then im going to monitor the level, there hasn't been any recorded instances of an 07 5AT V35DE having those issuses that i k ow of, will infiniti perform the oc test with my mods? Intake/test pipes and exhaust

I read the tsb I definitely have heard abnormal noises after not seeing any oil on the dipstick and I have to add some regularly

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB