TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by KJG35
took my 06 G into to the dealer the other day and i failed the oil consumption test after driving 1120 miles, and today they are telling me that they are gonna do a short block replacement.....shouldn't they replace the whole thing?
Not necessarily. Look at the latest revised TSB. Still hear of ppl getting longblocks, but believe that's when it's found their valvetrain is toast too, otherwise it's only shortblocks now.
Originally Posted by 05350GT6MT
i took my car to the dealership to do the oc test a few months ago. they changed my oil and the process began. they told me to come back in 1000 miles. i went back and they said it wasnt consuming enough oil so they topped it off and told me to come back in another 1000 miles. so after another 1000 miles i went back and once again they told me that i wasnt consuming enough oil and that i should go back after another 1000 miles. so i just went back today and for the first time i asked to watch the technician measure my oil, and guess what? it was down 16mm. i think the other times that i brought it in it was consuming alot too but they were just b.s.'ing me, because no way it would be barely consuming any oil the first 2 times like they told me, and then this last time it consumes 16mm.
so anyways, they said they now have to get infiniti to approve my situation. and they told me i would have to have all my paper work of oil changes and all for the car. but the problem with this is that i only had infiniti do the oil changes like the first year i bought the car, and then the rest i did the oil changes myself. so am i screwed? also, they said its suspicious that the first few times they did the oc test it wasnt consuming that much oil and now today its down 16mm. but todays the first day that i actually watched them do it so they had to record what i saw. am i being paranoid or are they just doing me in?

sorry for the long post but i was wondering if i could get some feedback on what to do about my situation? thanks
Does your paperwork indicate what those first two test levels were?

Also, the more mileage on oil the faster the consumption rate increases b/c the oil is done due to the continuous fuel dilute from all the ring blow-by.

TSB has a flow chart 'if' there's no oil change history. Bottom-line though: It's always better to have some proof of oil servicing while under warranty period if not done at dealer. I've DIY ever since my VQ replacement and have every receipt + an excel spreadsheet indicating date, mileage, what was done, cost, etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no, the paper work they gave me never stated the actual oil levels mm wise, all it says is something like not consuming enough oil or something like that.
i also do not have my store receipts for the oil and oil filters for diy oil changes because i did not know that i had to keep them for proof at the time.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't have an 05+, but I just changed my spark plugs and while looking at the front of the car the back left plug (by the battery and firewall) had oil in it. It came out covered in oil...As an 03 driver and out of warranty what are my options? Could I try and get my engine replaced and if so would I go from having a non rev-up to a rev-up? Has any 03-04 or non rev-up ever had this issue and had it replaced outside of warranty? Any tips I could try to use to my advantage to help me with my dealership?

Last edited by doeboy; 03-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 AM
hey everyone , looks like im jumping on the OC bandwagon . ugh . heres the rundown . 2005 g35 sedan 6mt . everyone here knows the deal i will spare the details .78k miles ,but noticed OC starting around 50k , just kinda ( ok REALLY ) drug my feet ! bought the car certified at beaverton infiniti ,so i have powertrain warranty until 9-3-11 or 100k . service said valve cover leaking bad ,but i dont see it leaking THAT bad . over a quart in 300 miles . i could be really off here ,but i would think i would smell that ,and see smoke after parked on a hot day ?? anyway , not starting off good .i listened to the sales pitch by the service advisor , he told me how i was out of warranty blah blah blah . now this whole time ,he was looking at his pc screen ,never clicked or changed anything . i mentioned it is under warranty , certified ,and his response was " well there is something showing ,but im just not sure what the warranty is..." . WTF . is it possible that a infiniti service advisor doesnt know what a certified warranty covers ? maybe my little "certified" book would have helped him lol . hope it isnt the start of a bad relationship . not interested in any other car ,but wow . anyway , working through this long thread ,i will post follow ups in the hope it can help someone . thankyou everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge

Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM
hopefully things are looking up . still n o"word" on warranty ,but advisor said it will be fixed either by warranty , or good faith .either way , one point for beaverton infiniti . i dont expect everything to go my way for me to be happy ,but just a little class and show of caring for the consumer go along way . i already want my baby back !! for those of you that might be interested ,my loaner is a g37x sedan . ugh . nice car , but not a drivers car

Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi There I have an 2003 Coupe with less than 115k on it. I keep up with the oil changes at the local Quicklane. Do you know if Infiniti will honor the TSB with the Mileage I have? BTW haven't noticed any abnormal oil consumption. Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MMAREF
Hi There I have an 2003 Coupe with less than 115k on it. I keep up with the oil changes at the local Quicklane. Do you know if Infiniti will honor the TSB with the Mileage I have? BTW haven't noticed any abnormal oil consumption. Thanks
Doubtful. You've made it this far and no serious consumption. Just keep it topped off and enjoy it.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by 05350GT6MT
no, the paper work they gave me never stated the actual oil levels mm wise, all it says is something like not consuming enough oil or something like that.
i also do not have my store receipts for the oil and oil filters for diy oil changes because i did not know that i had to keep them for proof at the time.
So did you end up getting approved for the new engine without the receipts? How did you manage to convince them? Please let me know as I am going through something similar.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 PM
so i just had my motor replaced last summer i have about 12-14k on it now just changed the oil last week and only a quart came out looks like im goin back to infiniti and see what they have to say about this.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
I have a 2003 G35 coupe with 58,000 mi In Nov 2010 I had my main circuit panel replaced and plugs.I have had no oil problems until then. White and blue smoke and it eats about a QT of oil every 100 mi. I had an out side auto repair look at it. He informed me it looks like rings ect. I then took it to the Infiniti dealer, I have extened-warranty with Interstate Auto. I had to send oil changes and repair slips for the car to Interstate before they would do the testing, witch is opening it up and seeing whats wrong. I had to ok it with 500.00 dollars to open up the engine. It's been a night mare dealing with
the dealer and the warranty company, you can't trust any of them.
I am a determined woman driver, and I thank you for this site. I would like any feed back.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone been out of warranty on their ride and then discovered that they were having OC issues? If so, what did the dealer tell you - reason why I ask is bc I just have gone out of warranty (power train) and want to know what is the response of the dealer/consumer affairs - has anyone gotten their motor replaced?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone been out of warranty on their ride and then discovered that they were having OC issues? If so, what did the dealer tell you - reason why I ask is bc I just have gone out of warranty (power train) and want to know what is the response of the dealer/consumer affairs - has anyone gotten their motor replaced?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Who is the best dealer to go to in North California ??

Old 04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by srini
Who is the best dealer to go to in North California ??
NIELLO INFINITI @ CONCORD.

I had my oil change done last month and initiated the oil consumption test. 1000 miles after, they checked it and it was 50mm low. 3 days later my short block came in. Sad news is that 1000 miles after my new short block was put in, my motor still burns oil. 1/2 qt low. I have to start a new oil consumption test and they will test it again. If it fails, they will tear the motor apart and see what's wrong.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Niello did mine, but back in 2008.

Glad to hear it seems they've STOPPED the BS OC testing games to qualify. Much different experience for me around that. However FWIW, after I 'finally' qualified they did do a good job on mine.

I've heard a lot POSITIVE feed-back with Beshoff in San Jose.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB