TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Ok, so I took my car in for the OC test, and had to pay for the oil change. They asked me to come back after 1000 miles, fine, ok.

They also told me, if I fail the test, they will open everything up and if they find a lot of gunk build up, meaning I missed an oil change or any sign like that, I will owe them around $700 for opening everything up and I will not get a new engine, WTF!!!???

Old 11-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by syshs
Ok, so I took my car in for the OC test, and had to pay for the oil change. They asked me to come back after 1000 miles, fine, ok.

They also told me, if I fail the test, they will open everything up and if they find a lot of gunk build up, meaning I missed an oil change or any sign like that, I will owe them around $700 for opening everything up and I will not get a new engine, WTF!!!???
Dude, did you read my post on pg. 89, #1323 lol? You need to sack up and tell them NO, I'm not paying for an oilchange I just did mine. And, NO I don't have to provide records of receipts because the TSB doesn't say so! Once you give them an inch they'll fock you up. The dealer tried all those moves on me AND tried to sell me other stuff. I had to say to them "hold up, hold up." Seriously, I'm actually pissed I didn't do so earlier.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:53 AM
My question is: has anyone failed the first time and gotten an engine replacement? I am a bit concerned I will have to repeat this test if I fail their test...

Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my car back today with a new short block.

They wanted to inspect the oil pan and take pictures(for the corporate people to see I guess...) before ordering a replacement so they end up keeping the car for 2 weeks plus I had to go to Japan for 10 days so I did not have my G for over 3 weeks.

The loaner G37 sedan(AT) was nice and quick(got bored in 2 days though..) and while I was in Japan I drove Toyota Mark X which was also a nice car and driving a right hand drive car on opposite side of the road in different atmosphere was quite a fun experience...but I missed my G soooo much. It made me realize how much I love my car and today it feels almost like the day I bought it.

I thought about selling my G when I found out about the OC issue but that's not gonna happen now. I will keep it as long as I can. Hope the new engine is strong and without any issue.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed my oil due to my car sounding like a lawn mower upon starting it after letting it sit for 4 days. I was only able to fill up ONE QUART with what drained out of my engine, not including what didn't drain (car was tilted up on jacks) and what was stuck to my dirty oil drain pan.

I last changed oil about 6k miles ago using slightly over 5qt of Amsoil 5w-30.

I am within 1,000 miles of being out of my extended warranty.

I have a plenum spacer, z-tube, and aftermarket exhaust.

So, guys, how F'ed am I? btw, it's a 2004 6mt... non rev-up.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
quite ****ed..lol trade it in

Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I don't think I've gone a month in the last two years that the car hasn't had some kind of problem. That being said, I love the car for some reason. I'll be going back to oil changes every 3k miles and topping off oil in between each change... I thought with all the hype and the price-tag of the Amsoil stuff I'd be safe waiting 6k, but I wasn't aware of how much oil was being consumed.

If the engine eventually dies in a couple more years, at least I'll have her paid off by then. It's fun owning a cool sporty car, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra expenses/frustration which lead to obsession. My next car will be a Honda. Throw a good system in it and I'll be happy.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my rsx burned tons of oil, like a quart ever 1000-2000 miles from day 1, course i beat the **** out of it

pretty sure thats why my car was traded in, im lucky they gave me a new motor

Old 11-25-2010, 05:44 PM
To those who received a replacement, is there an extra warranty for the new motor and related labor?

Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Not on mine I got back in 2008. It continues on my powertrain warranty. Once that expires, I'm SOL. But maybe it's different if you get your replacement just under the wire there abouts at end of warranty. Think I've read something like 12mo/12K mi whichever first, but don't quote me on that.

Infiniti laughed in my face when I asked if my factory powertrain warranty (on replaced VQ only) started over....

Old 11-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I have my doubts, but I'll milk the TSB for all it's worth. It's just a matter of not falling for their tricks. It seems like they try to bend the rules at every junction. I always have to ask for their policy in writing, etc. I feel like I should just talk straight to the manager everytime b/c they sure like to BS with me. I can only wave the tsb in their faces make them follow it and threaten a call to bbb and Infiniti corporate.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I failed my O/C test about two months ago. The dealer told me they will start the paperwork to get me a new motor. A week later they called and had me bring the car back so they could pull the heads off to see what kind of damage was done. They also asked me to bring all my paperwork on my oil changes. I droped off my car and took a loaner and went on my way. Three weeks later I got a call back telling me that Infiniti has granted me a new LONG block. I was super happy cause I had 71000 mi on the car. A week later they called and told me to come get my car. All that to say they still replace long blocks.

But now only 500 mi into my new motor I have a tick coming from the driver side. So lets see what they do...

Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by bhibler83
I failed my O/C test about two months ago. The dealer told me they will start the paperwork to get me a new motor. A week later they called and had me bring the car back so they could pull the heads off to see what kind of damage was done. They also asked me to bring all my paperwork on my oil changes. I droped off my car and took a loaner and went on my way. Three weeks later I got a call back telling me that Infiniti has granted me a new LONG block. I was super happy cause I had 71000 mi on the car. A week later they called and told me to come get my car. All that to say they still replace long blocks.

But now only 500 mi into my new motor I have a tick coming from the driver side. So lets see what they do...
So, they did ask for additional paper even after your car failed huh? And now there's a "tick" from the driverside? Maybe it's just the fuel injectors or cams being a little noisy. SMH

Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Yep, every oil change since I bought the car. And even with all that in there hands they still called the shop were I take my car to and asked like hunderd questions. My shop guy told me he was getting drilled by some guy at Infiniti. Just looking for a reason not to replace my motor
I know its not the cams cause the "tick" is louder then the cams, but the injectors i didnt think about that. Im some one who has rebuilt a few 5.0 motor out of classic mustangs so my first thought was valve or lifter.. I will find out this afternoon. I called Infiniti and they want me to come in right away.
Answers tonight... I hope!!!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by bhibler83
Yep, every oil change since I bought the car. And even with all that in there hands they still called the shop were I take my car to and asked like hunderd questions. My shop guy told me he was getting drilled by some guy at Infiniti. Just looking for a reason not to replace my motor
I know its not the cams cause the "tick" is louder then the cams, but the injectors i didnt think about that. Im some one who has rebuilt a few 5.0 motor out of classic mustangs so my first thought was valve or lifter.. I will find out this afternoon. I called Infiniti and they want me to come in right away.
Answers tonight... I hope!!!!!
Cool. Good luck. Well, in the past they refused to do an oil consuption test more than once until this time I came in mentioning the TSB and asked to speak to the manager. Finally they agreed to the test and they're still gonna question me about the oil change history?? I'm ready to give them hell in any case lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB