TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Im going back in next week for my 1000 mile check. My car IS NOT leaving my sight until they check the level in front of me. Sounds like a lot of the Infiniti dealerships are pulling some pretty shady sh;t

And whats with all the additional come back checks? The TSB says come back in 1000 miles and either you pass or fail. They tell me to come back again, Im calling Infiniti Consumer Affairs right then and there, already talked to them once this week.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I checked my oil today and it only came about 1/4 to halfway up on the line for the dipstick. ( the area where it says full etc.) Im gonna call my dealer and get a test scheduled....this sucks if I have it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow this has reached page 89 of this thread. I know I've posted decades ago. I took my coupe in to have the airbag recall fixed and decided it was time to challenge them once again at the OC issue. Third time casually asking them. This time I was firm with them.

What slightly bothers me is the service rep first asks if I'm here for an "oil change." And also asks if I "need a new battery." Already I am on the defensive because I originally scheduled for them to: 1. fix my airbag recall 2. investigate my problems with my positive battery cable connector being faulty and unable to make good contact with my battery (too bad I'm out of warranty for this TSB). 3. I want an OC test and I printed out the TSB.

I tell her that I've been aware of the TSB for years and that hundreds of fellow enthusiasts nationally are telling me that I DON'T have to buy an oil change from them and I DON'T have to provide any receipts of previous oil change records as per the TSB related to my specific model year and vehicle not requiring it because it says so in writing and dealer should follow protocol and not make up stuff lol. She goes on a couple minutes yada yada about how 2 cars (pre '05) need a teardown for investigation and if it's deemed their fault they pay for the teardown and those cases are usually due to abuse or negligence on the owners. I ask for the manager and explain to him I know what the TSB says and all I need is a top off and documentation that the dealer topped it off and to come back for another eval after 1,000 or so miles. That the dealer goes by measurements on the dipstick in mm and not by how much oil they filled my car at an oilchange which they would require me to pay for BS. At least talking to a manager is better than being dismissed by a service rep and believing their bs.

I know I'm not out of the woods. I will probably get a call in a couple hours from them giving me some more bs and probably charging me an arm and a leg for the battery cable connector and labor which I already know I'm not paying for lol. If that's the case I'll source a cable and do it myself. So did I make a proper argument for the OC test? I'm still up at arms with the whole engine swap thing. The V2 motors are so hit or miss...let's see what happens.

Last edited by VQdriver; 11-18-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: my proofreading sucks
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the dealer tore down my engine since I have an 04 I guess, but they couldn't really blame it on abuse because they had just sold me the car a month earlier. I think my new motor still uses some oil...should probably check it actually..lol

Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
the dealer tore down my engine since I have an 04 I guess, but they couldn't really blame it on abuse because they had just sold me the car a month earlier. I think my new motor still uses some oil...should probably check it actually..lol
how much oil did your 04 burn?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
24mm low after 2400 miles

Last edited by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust; 11-18-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by changeover
Well I checked my oil today and it only came about 1/4 to halfway up on the line for the dipstick. ( the area where it says full etc.) Im gonna call my dealer and get a test scheduled....this sucks if I have it.
How many miles on this oil change interval do you have so far? You sound like a prime candidate. Make sure you go armed with a printout of the TSB and have them follow it literally.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by VQdriver
How many miles on this oil change interval do you have so far? You sound like a prime candidate. Make sure you go armed with a printout of the TSB and have them follow it literally.
I have about 3300 miles on my 5000 mile oil change(synthetic). Will do, gotta print it out and I am not paying for an oil change from them either. This kinda blows haha

Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
I have about 3300 miles on my 5000 mile oil change(synthetic). Will do, gotta print it out and I am not paying for an oil change from them either. This kinda blows haha
Wow, I came back from the dealer not too long ago. They actually started the OC testing without me having to argue too much lol. You need to bring it because the sales people are very savvy or ignorant lol. They will sell you parts, services before even starting anything you actually need. I barely got them to do everything for me free of charge. The funny thing is I checked my dipstick at the parking lot and they didn't top it off. So already I'm down a few mm. They said to come back as close to 1,000mi as possible.

My only concern is they said I have to do 2 OC tests unless I fail the first one by a large margin. The TSB doesn't say the dealer can repeat the test especially if my motor fails. It merely says I have a choice to come back for up to 3 if my motor passes. What should I do when I return in 1,000mi?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 PM
24mm low after 2400 miles
how did you get your car to burn that much oil? regular driving? high way, auto cross?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
regular driving...little street racing...idk nothing insane

thats still less then 1 quart per 1000 miles I think...its really not that much

doesnt seem to be burning much if any now though

Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by VQdriver
Wow, I came back from the dealer not too long ago. They actually started the OC testing without me having to argue too much lol. You need to bring it because the sales people are very savvy or ignorant lol. They will sell you parts, services before even starting anything you actually need. I barely got them to do everything for me free of charge. The funny thing is I checked my dipstick at the parking lot and they didn't top it off. So already I'm down a few mm. They said to come back as close to 1,000mi as possible.

My only concern is they said I have to do 2 OC tests unless I fail the first one by a large margin. The TSB doesn't say the dealer can repeat the test especially if my motor fails. It merely says I have a choice to come back for up to 3 if my motor passes. What should I do when I return in 1,000mi?
interesting...Im thinking about selling the G so I may not even go. gotta figure stuff out, good luck with yours.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
interesting...Im thinking about selling the G so I may not even go. gotta figure stuff out, good luck with yours.
I believe I am set to keep mine. It still makes unbelievable power and is mint. Depreciation is worse than living with it in my case. An oil analysis done (with GC 0W-30) at 5,200mi came back with good results. It came back so good they said my interval could be increased to 7,000mi. Oil consumption may be borderline according to the TSB and I'm just doing it for peace of mind and to bust Infiniti's chops before my warranty is gone lol. Good luck dude.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
unbelievable power?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 AM
unbelievable power?
lol yup ok maybe not as quick as my racecar, but it's still nice. Why not just take it in for ***** and giggles? Once warranty is done that's it bro...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB