TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by twin001
Mine just came out of surgery this morning with the new engine (P/N 10102-AC7M9). To my surprise they put the old plugs back in....
Funny you mention plugs. I asked if they use old ones during swap and SA said yes, so I told them put in new and would pay for those, belts too.

Picked mine up today as well (10102-AC7M9) and was told my new V2 had plugs already installed so no need for new ones. That's also indicated on my paperwork to off-set work order indicating install new plugs.

Not doubting what you said, just stating what happened to me today, what my paperwork states and what my V2 apparently already came with.

Next G owner who's lined up for a replacement needs to clarify this for us and look under taped holes on valve covers for plugs while new V2 is sitting in their shop. This would be nice to know for sure. Plugs Y/N.

New PCV valve came installed on mine too as a FYI everyone. That was another thing I was going to have replaced rather than use old one swapped over.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT

New PCV valve came installed on mine too as a FYI everyone. That was another thing I was going to have replaced rather than use old one swapped over.
I forgot to ask about the PCV valve....I'll check that when I get home.

Ya, they put the old plugs back in. Did you say there was a line item on your work order for plug installation?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:02 PM
6MT Coupe
I forgot to ask about the PCV valve....I'll check that when I get home.

Ya, they put the old plugs back in. Did you say there was a line item on your work order for plug installation?
Yes, on my final invoice it was line item 02 after my long list from VQ replacement stating: Owner request to replace spark plugs and drive belts, owner pays for parts.
Then under that it stated: New engine came with spark plugs and installed new drive belts.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I physically saw a new PCV already on my new bare VQ covered with tape before install.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
6MT Coupe
FYI...change your oil NOW with your fresh VQ if not done yet. I did at ~75mi and when sun hit oil in bucket, it glistened with lots of very small metallic particles and was a little milky when it first came out too (assuming settled assembly lubes).

Regiment I'm doing...change oil ASAP ~25-75mi (done). Then at 500, 1500 then at 3750. Get the metal particles outta there and mostly assembly lubes. Assembly lubes shear the **** outta oil and kills the heat protection. Fuel dilute is bad enough during normal break-in and that shears the oil as well.

Oil's cheap...VQ's and the headache of OC isn't

Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on how the new engines are doing? or is it still hit and miss? V35 please update us on your v2 engine if it's a success or not. I know it will take some time to tell, but do keep us posted. I will check this thread from time to time. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by twofst4u
Any updates on how the new engines are doing? or is it still hit and miss? V35 please update us on your v2 engine if it's a success or not. I know it will take some time to tell, but do keep us posted. I will check this thread from time to time. Thanks.
Too early to tell on mine really, but almost at 500mi and no OC.
I'll keep you all posted as the miles increase.
Going soon on a ~1000mi trip. That will be a good test.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Same for me - too early to tell (~500 miles). I do have a non-Revup so not sure you care how my engine fares...but FWIW so far no OC. And my tail pipes are staying nice and clean! No more nasty black oily soot covering them within hours of polishing them...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 AM
700 miles into new V2 and yes, it is low on the stick (that's what she said). I'm going to change the oil at 1000 miles and keep an eye on it.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by shdowflare
Same for me - too early to tell (~500 miles). I do have a non-Revup so not sure you care how my engine fares...but FWIW so far no OC. And my tail pipes are staying nice and clean! No more nasty black oily soot covering them within hours of polishing them...
I care. VQ is a VQ and hopefully yours have the same improvements, far as OC is concerned, as our revups.
Good reminder on the tailpipes. I need to get all that soot off mine from old VQ.
700 miles into new V2 and yes, it is low on the stick (that's what she said). I'm going to change the oil at 1000 miles and keep an eye on it.
I'd change oil now, but no matter, you've seen my past post on my regiment.
Keep your chin up. My friend ZeeForce on 350Z OC thread just posted his V2 OC history of improving. UOA's are your friend btw
I asked there too about plugs and such (I'm 06CPV35 over there)
ZeeForce brought up an interesting point, where-as another member confirmed his recent V2 came with new plugs too.
Check it out.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I changed my oil this weekend. Used some regular Castrol dyno and a mobil filter. Oil was slightly greenish in color and frothy from the fuel. Also, like you I saw a lot of metalic shavings. I'm going to change it again in another 700 miles or so. I know that the first few thousand miles the engine will consume some oil until the rings sit properly.

For the spark plugs, when I picked the car up I asked the dealership if they changed them and they said no. I put the MREV and Powerlabs spacer on that weekend and while I had the OEM lower collector off I checked the plugs. They did in fact put new ones in, but the dealership didn't screw the coil packs in . I ordered new plugs when I picked the car up so I'll just put them in a ziplock baggie and change them out in a year or so. There is also some ground wire near the drivers side headers that is hanging, I'll wait until tomorrow when our local Z/G chapter has our meeting and see where it's supposed to attach to.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for keeping this thread active. Too many people neglect the maintenance on their cars and trust others to do it for them. This thread gave me the information I needed to make sure I was getting a fair deal through my dealership and Nissan North America.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I just changed my new VQ's oil at 375 miles and will do it again at 1000. Then once more at 2000 and then 3500. After that I'll stick to the regular factory recommended interval - 3750.

I'm going to make sure I take good care of this engine since Infiniti may not be so quick to give me another (got ~55,000 miles on the car and my powertrain expires in six months).

I haven't really paid much attention to the oil levels on the dipstick since I've heard it will take a few thousand miles for the rings to properly seat. But I have noticed no black oily soot on my exhaust tips...so that's a good sign. Anyway, at what point should I start paying close attention to the dipstick?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
6MT Coupe
I changed my oil this weekend. Used some regular Castrol dyno and a mobil filter. Oil was slightly greenish in color and frothy from the fuel. Also, like you I saw a lot of metalic shavings. I'm going to change it again in another 700 miles or so. I know that the first few thousand miles the engine will consume some oil until the rings sit properly...
Yeah...metallic shavings and assembly lubes are FTL. Normal fuel dilute bad enough.
Heard this too will have some consumption during break-in.
Just as long as it's not at or worse than 'No Good' on TSB chart. :crossing fingers:

...For the spark plugs, when I picked the car up I asked the dealership if they changed them and they said no. I put the MREV and Powerlabs spacer on that weekend and while I had the OEM lower collector off I checked the plugs. They did in fact put new ones in, but the dealership didn't screw the coil packs in . I ordered new plugs when I picked the car up so I'll just put them in a ziplock baggie and change them out in a year or so. There is also some ground wire near the drivers side headers that is hanging, I'll wait until tomorrow when our local Z/G chapter has our meeting and see where it's supposed to attach to....
Or your V2 came with them already installed like mine and a 350Z forum member confirmed recently too.

Hmmm...mine seems fine, but I'm going to check mine out for the things you found not right on yours.

How did your plenum and collectors look inside from all the past OC? I paid out-of-pocket for my dealer to clean all that up chemically before swapping to my fresh V2. Fuel injectors too, being I asked and they don't clean any of that normally during swap. Just curious as mine had ~30K of OC on those components and it be a known fact of high vacuum pull with oil being consumed that way as well on the old revups.
I just changed my new VQ's oil at 375 miles and will do it again at 1000. Then once more at 2000 and then 3500. After that I'll stick to the regular factory recommended interval - 3750.

I'm going to make sure I take good care of this engine since Infiniti may not be so quick to give me another (got ~55,000 miles on the car and my powertrain expires in six months)...
Good break-in regiment.

I tried to get my warranty extended b/c of my VQ being defective since day one new 2.5yrs ago. Even after many attempts and the fact that Nissan has on some 350Z owners given extended warranties n/c (I know of one Z owner personally)...Infiniti held their ground and still said NO WE WILL NOT!! Nice way to treat Infiniti owners with known long term defect

...I haven't really paid much attention to the oil levels on the dipstick since I've heard it will take a few thousand miles for the rings to properly seat. But I have noticed no black oily soot on my exhaust tips...so that's a good sign. Anyway, at what point should I start paying close attention to the dipstick?
I would start now imo. Not to bring a dark cloud over this, but have read many of these current V2's still have failed with OC issues and many have gone buy-back with their Infiniti/Nissans b/c of that and being the 3rd VQ failure for them on OC. IMO...no engine should consume excessively even during break-in, hence the TSB chart I will go by as a success or failure with these even as a fresh engine.

Sorry for the long post ppl

Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM
6MT Coupe
Two things I've noticed different since my fresh V2....

One, much more apparent vacuum hiss sound at PCV valve. Replaced hose and checked PCV valve for crack...still have that sound.
Old revup didn't have that obvious sound and I'm half deaf...lol.

Second, I have no more detonation/pinging as I did with my old revup on crappy Cali 91 oct fuel and still must use on my V2.

Anyone else notice these things or is it just me?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else notice these things or is it just me?
It’s just you!

^ Thanks for the props, I do not get over here much, let alone much anymore on the Z site.

Things I noticed that got better over time or worse:

The Good:

The hand job felt good and it was not messy.

No more soot on exhaust tips, even had a smog test done, it came out very clean. So the cats are fine, in time the soot will burn out of the cats.

Had some crickets living in the engine bay and as time went by, they populated. Not really, but the sound of crickets was there and intensified as time went on until the service mgr could hear them. Turned out that during the install, that some coolant from the main upper hose, got on the AC belt, hence the cricket sound. Belt replaced under warranty and all is well.

Pinging ceased for awhile and then came back. It’s the nature of the beasts. I have come to the conclusion that they all ping, especially on hot days and several short stops at the market. The plenum is hot. On the open highway and in the winter there is no ping. But it is no where at the level it was during the OC days with the original engine.

Definitely more power through out the entire power range.

Oil consumption has improved over the last oil change down from 9mm to a whopping 4 mm. That is with a lot help from my friend at Dyson Analysis, on the tune and correcting the fuel dilution. According to the UOA, it's setting up and seating very well.

That’s about it for now.

Thanks V35 Skyline GT, you have kept this thread alive and provided an insight to the problem and remedy. You are truly an asset to the community.

The Bad:
They washed it after surgery.

edit: The hand built engine job...

Last edited by ZeeForce; 06-10-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 AM

How did your plenum and collectors look inside from all the past OC? I paid out-of-pocket for my dealer to clean all that up chemically before swapping to my fresh V2. Fuel injectors too, being I asked and they don't clean any of that normally during swap. Just curious as mine had ~30K of OC on those components and it be a known fact of high vacuum pull with oil being consumed that way as well on the old revups.
Good break-in regiment.
My the upper and lower collector had a thin layer of oil coated on them. I cleaned it out with some throttle body cleaner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB