TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an FYI: I'm getting my engine replaced - I'm up on my third test and service advisor guaranteed that my engine will be changed. The first test, it was consuming 26mm of oil and second results came with 27mm. My third test should be in by next month.

Information on this thread has been very helpful. I'll make sure to ask for new belts and plugs, in case they don't already.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Why three OC tests? TSB even before last two revisions would only take one, maybe two depending on the situation. They should've ordered your V2 from your last test results. Three tests was the old method req pre TSB.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
^Why three OC tests? TSB even before last two revisions would only take one, maybe two depending on the situation. They should've ordered your V2 from your last test results. Three tests was the old method req pre TSB.
I don't know, that's what he told me so I'm just going along with it. after all he said, it's guaranteed to be replaced.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by twin001
My the upper and lower collector had a thin layer of oil coated on them. I cleaned it out with some throttle body cleaner.
Hey thanks for confirming that. I'm still throwing around the idea of a catch can for my V2. Haven't decided yet.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm taking my car in for a second time as well and my dealer has also informed me that I'm looking at a new engine after this last check. Hopefully everything goes through smoothly and the new replacement I get doesn't have the same problem.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Gcoupe06
I don't know, that's what he told me so I'm just going along with it. after all he said, it's guaranteed to be replaced.
Yeah...that's all that matters, just that the TSB guidlines would've got your V2 sooner for you.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Nasty_Nissan
I'm taking my car in for a second time as well and my dealer has also informed me that I'm looking at a new engine after this last check. Hopefully everything goes through smoothly and the new replacement I get doesn't have the same problem.
Mine took two times as well, but that's b/c I requested test to continue after first. They played me on first level reading, so came back second time at qt low = kept my G in sight 100% = no room for games = qualified = call for approval = approved next day by Infiniti = ordered V2 = done deal.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
6MT Coupe
Anyone else notice these things or is it just me?
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
It’s just you!
^ Oh... ... ...

Thanks for the props too ZeeForce and your update.
Sounds like pinging will be a fact of life on these...crap I hate detonation...not good for any engine.

I have some tricks up my sleeve about that condition I was going to do on my original if I didn't qualify for V2, but will now wait untill I know this one has no OC. Already mentioned one...catch can. There's a few more, but will wait to see if mine starts pinging.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I wish I had gone through this thread sooner. My car started making noises a few weeks ago. My check engine light was already on because of my high flow cats, so I did think to check the codes at this time. I thought is was the clutch throw out bearing. Replaced the clutch and the noise is still there. I took it to Infiniti and they said the oil was really low even though I replaced the oil 3000 (ish) miles ago. Then I find this TSB thread. So I've got the oil consumption and engine noise which according to the TSB should warrant an engine replacement.

Here's the kicker: I left my Hi-flow cats in place still thinking it was a transmission problem and now they are telling me they won't cover the engine under warranty.

They don't think there is any engine damage right now, but the problem will keep coming back.

Anyone know if I could win a law suit keeping in mind the TSB and the Hi-flow cats?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
6MT Coupe
^ This might help...
http://www.sema.org/Main/SemaOrgHome.aspx?ID=50100

And/or this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Some dealers make mods a big deal, while others don't. They have to prove your HFC caused the failure.
It's BS as many 100% stock revups have failed with this known defect.
G/L

-EDIT-
Okay...I'm looking like a PW. Will chime in when I have something to say comcerning my V2...good or bad.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 06-10-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Looking like a PW
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to push back at the dealership, HFC's will not void your warranty. Call Infiniti Customer Care and talk to them. There is a law called the Magnuson-Moss Act, see link attached. It won't be as easy since your car isn't stock but you can still go through with the OC testing.

Good luck!

http://www.duramax.bizhosting.com/ma...s-warranty.htm

Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm getting very familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Act and Sema at the moment. I'm waiting for the service adviser to call me back on this subject after I brought up the TSB. If she says they still won't cover it, I'm going to have her get the service manager to explain in writing why the HFC would cause the damage to the motor and consumption of oil.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
From what I've been told, Nissan has been burned in the past by faulty cat material somehow making it back up into the engine in older Sentras or Maximas, I think. I really don't see how this is possible, but I knew they'd try just about anything to not warranty a new motor - so I took off everything except my cat-back exhaust - plenum spacer, CAI, headers, and HFC's. And I got the new motor...

I highly recommend anyone going in for a new VQ do the same. While Infiniti doesn't have the "right" to deny your new motor under warranty because of certain aftermarket parts, the road to your new VQ will probably be far less troublesome if you play by their rules to some degree. Just accept that going as close to stock as possible is your best move, and pay a little money to do it. It's a worthwhile investment for a new engine.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like pinging will be a fact of life on these...crap I hate detonation...not good for any engine.

I have some tricks up my sleeve about that condition Already mentioned one...catch can. There's a few more, but will wait to see if mine starts pinging.
I hear ya, have you got 7 Ben Franklins lying around I can borrow.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
I hear ya, have you got 7 Ben Franklins lying around I can borrow.
Haha...uhh...no sorry I don't

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB