TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Yea they dropped the 0-500 and 501-1000 mi columns back on revised one on Feb 27, 2008. #ITB08-002a from first original.

May 2008 only change was the new added 'first' box on flow chart about acceptable oil change history y/n. Some people 'still' don't understand what that change means for them, conserning not having oil change reciepts and the BS dealers give about that haha.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 05-29-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK guys here is my update .....

Background info: 06 MT with obvious OC, burining 1 qt/mo of synthetic for at least 18 months , current milage 30k. Moderatley modded with full Motordyne MREV plenum package, Stilllen intake, NISMO flywheel and clutch, HF cats and Stillen exhaust. The original purchase (new) and all maitenance/service was done with the dealer who is preforming the OC check.

Took her back to the dealer at 1.1 K for the recheck. I politely asked to witness the actual check with the mechanic (this was no problem).

OC check came back 15.5 mm down at 1.1K (well within engine repalcement guidleines, and exactly what I measured at home). Service rep said I should qualify and will submit to NISSAN pending approval, will get back to me ASAP.

Concerning the intake mods: Dealer said this was NO problem, but would require "about" 3-4 hrs extra labor at my expense to install/re-install the aftermarket parts. Labor ~ 100/hr !! Now I could do this myself (like I did the first time) re-install the OEM crap , get the new engine, and the re-install my mod stuff again and save ~ 300-400 bucks labor. But I think maybe this isn't such a bad deal. I'm not a super gear head dude like some, and paying 400 bucks for a bran new (BTW the dealer states a "new" engine, not refurbished/reconditoned used engine) $ 10K engine is OK ?

Anyway, I should here back in a day or two official approval. I'll post then.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I just dropped my car off at the Ray Catena dealership up in Edison, NJ for an OC test. I have an 06 MT OB with 29k miles. The guy at first gave me a hard time about not having every single record from the previous oil changes; but, after I talked with him and the service manager they agreed that it most likely would not have anything to do with OC problems.

I also asked them to check the wheel bearings while it was there...

Any tips on anything I should ask them to check while the vehicle is there, I am still under basic warranty until like next month...

Also, any recommendations or things I should be aware of or look out for when I return to pick up my car?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Question to all, Does anyone know ware the oil is disappearing to? is it because of cracks in the heads or blocks leaking valve seas etc, and is there any charge involved in the OC test and engine replacement? thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Premier Member

Just got official NISSAN approval for the new long block. Dealer said they should have it in hand by next week. Still a little nervous about my mods (I don't think they are aware of the non- OEM cats yet. Will see what happens when they put her up on the rack. Might do my rear brakes at the same time (3 mm). Any advice on good aftermarket PADS for OEM 06 brakes?

Originally Posted by penelson
OK guys here is my update .....

Background info: 06 MT with obvious OC, burining 1 qt/mo of synthetic for at least 18 months , current milage 30k. Moderatley modded with full Motordyne MREV plenum package, Stilllen intake, NISMO flywheel and clutch, HF cats and Stillen exhaust. The original purchase (new) and all maitenance/service was done with the dealer who is preforming the OC check.

Took her back to the dealer at 1.1 K for the recheck. I politely asked to witness the actual check with the mechanic (this was no problem).

OC check came back 15.5 mm down at 1.1K (well within engine repalcement guidleines, and exactly what I measured at home). Service rep said I should qualify and will submit to NISSAN pending approval, will get back to me ASAP.

Concerning the intake mods: Dealer said this was NO problem, but would require "about" 3-4 hrs extra labor at my expense to install/re-install the aftermarket parts. Labor ~ 100/hr !! Now I could do this myself (like I did the first time) re-install the OEM crap , get the new engine, and the re-install my mod stuff again and save ~ 300-400 bucks labor. But I think maybe this isn't such a bad deal. I'm not a super gear head dude like some, and paying 400 bucks for a bran new (BTW the dealer states a "new" engine, not refurbished/reconditoned used engine) $ 10K engine is OK ?

Anyway, I should here back in a day or two official approval. I'll post then.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 AM
I had mine replaced at 20k. I have just over 35k now. No problems since they replaced the long block. I was burning 1.5 qts every 1000 miles before and ran it down to -3qts at one points. There was some nasty noises, which alerted me to the problem. I wasn't aware of the frequency of the problem back then, and the dealer wasn't either. I had to hold them to the fire, but it was all taken care of in the end.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm looking to get a 2005 G35 Couple 6M/T with 60,000 miles. I will ask for a carfax or autocheck report to insure vehicle service maintenance. Now, my question is if I purchase this vehicle and by some reason I start noticing oil comsumption am I still covered by this recall warranty?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I've spent hours researching this now. So I have a few questions

TSB says 05-07 MT - There are some AT's with this problem. Is it safe to assume that a 05-07 AT should be ok?

What about 07 MT's - I haven't seen too many posts on here from 07's, mainly from 05-06's. Can we trust the post-VIN date noted in the TSB?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I would never assume. I check my oil once a week nothing bad tg knocking on wood. have 33k on it now. but I have a 6MT Coupe, not the at

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm liking a few 06-07 6MT's I'm looking at, but really not liking this OC issue. It's obviously prevalent in this thread, but does anyone know what the overall percentage of owners with this problem is? There was a poll before, but there was no "ok, no OC" option.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
My 06 G was totaled before I could find out!!!! I have a 06 M-35 that started drinking oil at 25,000 miles. Infiniti did not even wink and replaced my long block, so I would not assume anything!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Premier Member

Just got the G back today - everything went according to plan / no snafus with the dealer. My only gripe is that they charged me $ 435 labor to re-install my grounding wires, engine damper, mrev plenum, and short ram intake.
They did say upfront there would be "extra" charges , but me thinks they padded the extra labor a bit in there favor .

Also the service rep insisted it's a NEW VQ35HR long block, not a refurbished VQ35DE. I don't know if there is any way to confirm this (engine ID ?), but if true a nice upgrade to the 07 bottom end !

So I'll be break'n in for 1500 miles. I think I'll stick with good old school dino oil for now. Any ideas on that first oil change ? Dealer says 3,700, but I was thinking sooner for the first change ? I'll post again at 1,000 with my new OC
results, hopefully insignificant.

Last edited by penelson; 06-10-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn! You have a HR longblock?! So its stronger now! lol!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well you guys are lucky.

I took my G back to Charles Barker Infiniti, and I want to burn that place down and here is why. I called on Monday for a 3 o'clock appt for Weds. When I get there my car sat in the front for almost a hour. So the Service Manager call me up to the front desk when my car was ready and she tells me that I'm good to go, there is nothing wrong. So I asked how low was my oil, and she said 1/2 Qt. I tell the it can be Qt's, it haves to be in mm's. Than that's when her whole attitude changes, I told there is no way it's only a 1/2 Qt low because I check right before I got there and the oil was below the Low limit. So she tell me that is was 16mm low, but I'm in specs before I drove 2000 miles. That's when I got ****, they planned this and I didn't see this coming. I asked how it is 2000 miles and I was just here 1000 miles ago. She said it's been 2000 miles since your last oil change, so that makes it 2000 miles. Bullsh!t because when I went there the last time, my G was also low a Qt, but there topped off the oil (AKA they serviced my oil) and said come back in 1000 miles due to lack of Oil Change History in there datedase.

So I question her on the TSB, asking her where does it say to add oil in the middle of testing? Where does it say I need a complete oil change history? Were does it say I can't use Moble 1? She wouldn't even look at me. They she said if I want I could try the dealer in Richmond, VA where is 2 hours away. That **** me off more. When I was there I filied a complain with Infiniti Comsumer Affairs again. When I got home I filied another complain with the BBB. I'm going to be talking to regional rep today, I'll see where that goes.

PS: Sorry for any misspelled words or improper grammar, but I'm late for work.

Last edited by citymunky; 06-12-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dranom
Damn! You have a HR longblock?! So its stronger now! lol!

I would settle for no more OC, but yeah it would be nice if it pulled a little harder ! Can't wait till after break-in for WOT time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB