TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 06' G Coupe that I KNOW has oil consumption issues, 14mm down after 1700 miles, which is well in the 'Not Good' area. I just got off the phone with my local Infiniti Dealer (Scottsdale, AZ) and he told me that I need to get my oil changed at the dealer and then come back in exactly 1000 miles, measure how low the dipstick is, and then return once more after 1000 miles and then go from there...

Is this the correct procedure??? ( I'm supposed to take it in tomorrow to begin testing)

Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Go look at the TSB on page 1 of this thread.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Not correct proceedure every 1000 and do it that twice. And that's old TSB on first post not used anymore......geez you ppl are fricken amazing lol

Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have not read all the posts. If what I am about to discuss has already been posted, I apologize. I was reading today on another forum, that a possible culprit for the oil consumption is the pre catalytic converter. It appears that the cat breaks down and debris gets sucked into the intake and scores the inside of the cylinder walls. It damages the oil rings while not necessarily disturbing the compression rings. It is basically a design flaw by Nissan that affects other models as well, including the Murano. It is not just the 3.5 engine that has the issues.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhancz
I have an 06' G Coupe that I KNOW has oil consumption issues, 14mm down after 1700 miles, which is well in the 'Not Good' area. I just got off the phone with my local Infiniti Dealer (Scottsdale, AZ) and he told me that I need to get my oil changed at the dealer and then come back in exactly 1000 miles, measure how low the dipstick is, and then return once more after 1000 miles and then go from there...

Is this the correct procedure??? ( I'm supposed to take it in tomorrow to begin testing)
I was down 14.5 at 1K and that was enough to qualify at my dealership. In otherwords, I didn't have to do the second check.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
any one experience not having oil change records? coz i went to my dealer today to look at my cars records and i didnt see any oil changes did at the dealership.

some recalls and tsb's where done but not oil changes

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 PM
So I just got home from initiating the OC test at my local Infiniti dealer. They are insisting that i return to them in almost exactly 1000 miles for them to measure the dipstick, and then return AGAIN in another 1000 miles. I printed a copy of the latest OC TSB and brought it in, and they told me that they don't go by the TSB....has to be 1000 mile intervals....WTF????

Old 06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
So I just got home from initiating the OC test at my local Infiniti dealer. They are insisting that i return to them in almost exactly 1000 miles for them to measure the dipstick, and then return AGAIN in another 1000 miles. I printed a copy of the latest OC TSB and brought it in, and they told me that they don't go by the TSB....has to be 1000 mile intervals....WTF????
Don't fall for that, this is the same thing my POS dealership did to me.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by citymunky
Don't fall for that, this is the same thing my POS dealership did to me.
they insist that if I don't bring the car back in 1000 miles than the OC test has to be started all over....

how did you get them to go by the TSB.......???

Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
they insist that if I don't bring the car back in 1000 miles than the OC test has to be started all over....

how did you get them to go by the TSB.......???
They should honor the TSB. It was generated by their "boss" (e.g. the corporate factory). I would reach out to Infiniti Customer Care and/or the BBB if they don't wise up. Or just take the "easier" road and hit a friendlier dealership.

That's really what I ended up doing. When my local Infiniti dealership service advisor gave me a bit of grief about a small aftermarket part when I first went in to "start" the OC testing, he said I'd have to come back after it was taken off. Rather than do that, I never went back to that dealership and thus never started the OC testing there. In fact, I found a highly regarded dealership on my regional forum here on G35Driver.com that I absolutely confirmed was much more cooperative about the OC issue. At the time, they had replaced several of the other members' oil burning VQ35's in the very recent past. Sure they asked me to take off all of my aftermarket parts (except the cat-back exhaust) to cover their butts, but in the end they still honored the warranty without giving me too much of a hard time. The process ended up being a bit more difficult for me than it was my regional club members engine swaps because I have a 2003, but all in all it was not too bad. Because mine was a non-revup (which is technically NOT part of the TSB), they pretty much required records/receipts of all oil changes (had to "find" a few). My buds that went in with revups either didn't have to take off aftermarket parts or didn't have to furnish any maintenance records! So it's really about finding the right dealership to help you. In addition to my receipts/records, I provided a log as well (had to draft up one of those too). They were quite helpful right out of the gate. They gave me a printout of their factory service history report so I could see where I needed to fill in the gaps. Some dealers won't do that, so go find a friendlier dealership who wants to work with you (within their policies/guidelines) and help you get what's yours. I used this printout to "complete" my receipts/records/log and gave it all to them so they had full documentation which could be shown to the factory that they confirmed all maintenance had been done, and they had done their job (CYA).

Anyway, good luck man. Things should work out for you, just don't give up. My best advice:
  1. Do some research and find a friendly dealer (print/take the TSB)
  2. Make sure you have all oil change and maintenance receipts and a log
  3. Do whatever you must to ensure you have items 1 and 2 above completed
As long as you've done these steps you should be able to eventually get that motor replaced, as you rightfully deserve! I've got 20K+ miles on my new VQ35 (mine was a rare non-revup oil-eater), and it's hardly burning anything at all. Of course I maintain the hell out of it now (oil changed every 2800).

Last edited by shdowflare; 06-24-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I failed my OC test today!!!!!!! My new engine will be in the next two weeks.

For the record, I did have to go back a second time. The first time at 1200 (conservative driving) miles they said I was 5mm low. I had checked it that morning with a cold engine and it I read it at 9.5mm low. I didn't say anything about it and just agreed to the second testing.
So, when they 'topped off' the oil they must of known how much to put in for 5mm. Because I measured it as soon as I got home (5 miles) and it was already 3.5mm low.
I drove another 1200 (like I stole it) miles and it was down to 15mm. One of the reps did mention that the oil consumption did have something to do with the Exhaust VVT and to drive it on the highway above 4000 rpm and it will eat oil like crazy.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Premier Member

Update : Down 10 mm @ 500 miles on the new V2 . Anybody else experience this during their initial break in period ?? I've been a good boy (well 98% mostly) and kept it under 4k rpm/ no WOT , mixed HWY and street driving.
I was down 4.5 mm at 50 miles which I thought at the time was probably normal "soak in" of all the nooks and crannies. Now Imma little worried.....

Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by penelson
Update : Down 10 mm @ 500 miles on the new V2 . Anybody else experience this during their initial break in period ?? I've been a good boy (well 98% mostly) and kept it under 4k rpm/ no WOT , mixed HWY and street driving.
I was down 4.5 mm at 50 miles which I thought at the time was probably normal "soak in" of all the nooks and crannies. Now Imma little worried.....
Congrats on your V2!! I also had the same experience at ~1200 miles I was down 12mm and then stopped consuming at ~1300 miles. Did the first oil change at 1500 miles. You should log your consumption per miles to compare consumption each oil changes. I think your V2 will be fine.

Here's my update: I'm at 6k miles and V2 feels stronger and more responsive than before. Ultimately, I think I can safely say NO more OC for me--the oil level is always on H!! (knock on wood).

O btw, do you know if they put Ester Oil in your V2? You should be able to tell since the color of the oil is lighter than regular motor oil, even after so many miles. I'm just wondering if this is what dealership are doing now...they did on mine don't know why though.

Last edited by twofst4u; 06-26-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Premier Member

^^^

Thanks for your feedback. I feel a little betternow . I far as i know I got standard dino oil. I asked about an early oil change (< 3000) and they said NO, standard OCI even for the first one. I was expecting a change at 1 -1.5 k. Should i go ahead and do this myself or wait ??

Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by penelson
^^^

Thanks for your feedback. I feel a little betternow . I far as i know I got standard dino oil. I asked about an early oil change (< 3000) and they said NO, standard OCI even for the first one. I was expecting a change at 1 -1.5 k. Should i go ahead and do this myself or wait ??
I would just take it in at 1k...after about 2 oil changes then you can go back to standard OCI.

Goodluck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB