TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by heythatsneat
Yeah i just paid for an oil change to start the OC test. Riverside infiniti was trying to tell me the noise im hearing (which is the cams) is the clutch and that i should replace it asap... i already knew i needed a clutch and i had them start the OC test anyways. On the way home i heard no rattleing of cams. Possibly because the full oil? I think so!
if your gonna replace the clutch go after market.
who was your service manager?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dranom
if your gonna replace the clutch go after market.
who was your service manager?
Yeah i am. Im probably going with a competition clutch and flywheel (if anyone has heard of this brand give me some feedback on them. My broinlaw can get a deal). My service manager was mike ridge or something to that effect.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told my dealer when I bought the car used that they put a brand new clutch in it at 34K the weekend before I bought it. I know the OEM clutch kit is not so great and usually wears out fast. I asked them if I could go with an aftermarket set up if the clutch goes again under warranty. They said an aftermarket clutch kit (Unless Nismo or Stillen) would void the warranty on all transmission components. Just an FYI.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah my dealer told me the same thing about the warranty on the trans. Its kinda lame but whatever. I didnt know about the nismo or stillen though. I figured i only have the warranty for another year so what the hell. Do you know f i would keep the warranty if i have a stillen or nismo clutch installed by someone other than the dealership?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by heythatsneat
Yeah my dealer told me the same thing about the warranty on the trans. Its kinda lame but whatever. I didnt know about the nismo or stillen though. I figured i only have the warranty for another year so what the hell. Do you know f i would keep the warranty if i have a stillen or nismo clutch installed by someone other than the dealership?
I would have it installed by a ASA certified technician and keep the invoice as backup. I knew that almost all G35 parts from Nismo and Stillen are accepted as aftermarket parts at my dealership because they sell and install the parts from Nismo and Stillen. They stated, for instance, that I could install Stillen sway bars and the warranty on the suspension would remain intact even if I did the install and they could just look it over at my next oil change. Personally, I would double check with your dealership on the Stillen and Nismo clutch kits, and whether or not a independent shop or yourself can install without voiding the warranty. I bet they would not warranty a clutch install that you did at home, then again, they will not void the OC warranty if you keep records of all the oil and oil filters you purchase if you did your oil changes at home. So I can't be for sure. I just ask my SA at the dealership how everything I do and how I do it will effect the warranty BEFORE I do it. I do not want to void any of the 100,000 used car warranty just because I "assumed" I could do something to the car without the dealership's input. The warranty is far to valuable long-term when I am only at 42,000 miles.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info buck. I have an infiniti master tech that owns his own garage that im going to take my clutch kit to to have him install it. To me, its still a debate because my warranty is only good through 10/2010 so i dont have long left. My issue is getting my OC issue taken care of first, then i will worry about my clutch.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 AM
hey do you guys know if they would replace the block even tho its a used car? and bought from a private partie? my 05 only has 40k and i did the tsb check and its eatting black gold.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Factory warranty follows the car not the owner.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the kearney mesa infiniti guys told me the jim wolf clutch kit wouldnt void the warranty either.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Angry 36k and I think I see signs

06 G35 Coupe MT
Ok Im at 36k did my oil change 2500 ago and the oil is a 1/4 inch past the line so that to me indicates it is a half quart low, have 5 months left on my power train warranty, called someone at the dealer and not returning my phone calls, are there any aftermarket warranties or a way to extend this if they get crazy and make it take longer then 5 months. thanks for any input...

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Libra4220
06 G35 Coupe MT
Ok Im at 36k did my oil change 2500 ago and the oil is a 1/4 inch past the line so that to me indicates it is a half quart low, have 5 months left on my power train warranty, called someone at the dealer and not returning my phone calls, are there any aftermarket warranties or a way to extend this if they get crazy and make it take longer then 5 months. thanks for any input...
You need to call the service department and schedule a regular oil change. When you get there, tell them you want to do the oil consumption test. If they act funny about it call Infiniti Consumer Affairs right in front of them and notify them that the dealer doesn't want to perform a TSB on your vehicle: 1(800)662-6200

When you call them they will open a file and want to talk to the service manager. Let them know that your service dealer refused to return your calls about the problem and you had to schedule a regular service just to get them to talk to you.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
my car just had the oil consumption test done in LA area, and they said there's no problem to the engine, and I had to bring my car back to Seattle, and the car just passed the 70k miles mark. Now I am seeing my engine oil is really low, and not even hitting the "low" mark.

Am I in deep trouble here? can they still warrant the engine since it just passed the warranty?? Can anyone suggest what I should do or what can I do here?
Thanks a lot

Mine is 2005 G35 coupe 6mt..

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by yrre7
my car just had the oil consumption test done in LA area, and they said there's no problem to the engine, and I had to bring my car back to Seattle, and the car just passed the 70k miles mark. Now I am seeing my engine oil is really low, and not even hitting the "low" mark.

Am I in deep trouble here? can they still warrant the engine since it just passed the warranty?? Can anyone suggest what I should do or what can I do here?
Thanks a lot

Mine is 2005 G35 coupe 6mt..
Once you have initiated the oil consumption testing, you are alloted 3 testings to prove it is consuming oil. Take it to a dealer and explain the situation or call the number I provided in my post right above yours.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks a lot. Now I am just worried that the engine is more than 70k and the warranty is gone. Will the dealer act funny and come back and say my warranty is up and they won't do anymore test or replace the engine?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:14 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
once the warranty is up then no more testing. unless you got the test before the 70k limit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB