TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2004 Infinity G35 40K miles~ SMOKES~ Can you Help?

I purchased a 2004 G35 w/ 40K miles from a Non INfinity dealer.. I immediately took the vehicle to the Infinity Dealer for inspection. I mentioned that there was slight exhaust in am start-up. They asked what color...and stated not to worry.
I had the change the oil. After the oil change the engine exhaust smoked HORRIBLY. I returned to the dealership. They stated my engine was sludged and I needed a new engine.

In disbelief I took the vehicle to a Independant ASE Mechanic. He inspected the oil pan, no sludge, removed valve covers, no sludge. Leak test proved that the rings had fatigue. Engine shows no signs of neglect, due to lack of oil changes, the inside of valve turn was consistant of any 40K mile car.

I called Corp and have a file#. Corp will not take the opinion of a "Non-Infinity" mechanic.

I returned to the dealer. They stated that the service writer put down the wrong diagnosis. I asked them to tell me what was wrong with my vehicle.
After 2 days they conferred with My Mechanics opinion. Only Infinity stated that the problem was due to lack of maintenance from previous owners. I needed all maintenance records from previous owners.

When I explained my situation to the 2nd Infinity Dealership they stated that they had to go by the original diagnosis as documented by the 1st Infinity Dealership...or they would have to"tear Down" the engine to inspect and make a 2nd diagnosis. They offered to put a different engine in my car. Get this They found a used engine w/ 80K miles. Engine installed would be $5800.

I told them that I am going to stick to my initial quest " Have the engine repaired under the powertrain warranty".

I have heard that Infinity Corp had trouble with the "rings" on these engines from the Manufactures standpoint. Apparently Infinity changed the manufacturer of rings, due to consistant problems of the rings.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, can you direct me to this information?

Any opinions on what I may do to get Infinity to repair my car under the Powertrain warranty?

I feel like the little ant going against the Giant "Infinity Corp"

Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Not a good picture being painted for you.

Non revup VQ's have different oil consumption test procedures and qualifying replacement OC rates, than TSB here for us revup folks.

I have suggestions and PM sent....

Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Started OC test

Took my 06 G35 6MT sedan to the dealership today. Its been sucking down oil for the 20,000 miles i've had it for. At first I was in denial hoping the engine would break in and the madness would stop. I was wrong...

They were cool about it (Ray Catena, Edison NJ). They knew about the TSB. I told them I do the oil changes myself with synthetic. No problem there.

They did a check up on the car, and topped it off with synthetic. Told me to come back in 3000 miles for a re-check. I'll be calling them sooner because I really don't think there will be much oil left after a few thousand miles!!

I sense a new engine in my future...

The point of OC of this engine was getting very annoying. Its at the point where at 4000 miles since my last oil change.. the oil still looks new because I have to dump so much into it between changes! Not to mention throwing in 2-3 quarts between changes of synthetic hurts the wallet (no i'm not poor, but paying and extra $20 in oil per oil change to go up in smoke is annoying).

It figures I'd get a car with OC issues, and it would have one of the most annoying oil dipstick designs in the world!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by enphorcer
Took my 06 G35 6MT sedan to the dealership today. Its been sucking down oil for the 20,000 miles i've had it for. At first I was in denial hoping the engine would break in and the madness would stop. I was wrong...

They were cool about it (Ray Catena, Edison NJ). They knew about the TSB. I told them I do the oil changes myself with synthetic. No problem there.

They did a check up on the car, and topped it off with synthetic. Told me to come back in 3000 miles for a re-check. I'll be calling them sooner because I really don't think there will be much oil left after a few thousand miles!!

I sense a new engine in my future...

The point of OC of this engine was getting very annoying. Its at the point where at 4000 miles since my last oil change.. the oil still looks new because I have to dump so much into it between changes! Not to mention throwing in 2-3 quarts between changes of synthetic hurts the wallet (no i'm not poor, but paying and extra $20 in oil per oil change to go up in smoke is annoying).

It figures I'd get a car with OC issues, and it would have one of the most annoying oil dipstick designs in the world!

you do the first check in 1000 miles. If it burns a lot of oil then a new engine would be in your future

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by dranom
you do the first check in 1000 miles. If it burns a lot of oil then a new engine would be in your future
It just ate 1/2 a quart in about 500 miles, so I sure will be keeping an eye on it!!

edit: before i took it in to the dealership..

Last edited by enphorcer; 03-06-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by enphorcer
It just ate 1/2 a quart in about 500 miles, so I sure will be keeping an eye on it!!

edit: before i took it in to the dealership..
did they change you oil? or they just top it off? coz with mine i think they put a thicker oil so i doesnt burn that much so when i bring it in ill request to get systhetic on it.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by dranom
did they change you oil? or they just top it off? coz with mine i think they put a thicker oil so i doesnt burn that much so when i bring it in ill request to get systhetic on it.
They just topped it off. Went outside and checked to make sure it was a little dirty, in case they tried to pull a fast one on me.

They marked the oil fill cap and zip tied the dipstick, thats understandable , they want to make sure nobody puts oil in it...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Many dealers mark oil fill cap, drain plug and zip tie stick down. Nothing new. They want to make sure oil won't be 'removed' or a little 'drained' to skew the OC test. No big deal.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
ok i've had my 06 mt for a month or so, i did a oil change the next day i got it with mobile 1 full synthetic. after my first 2k miles the oil level was really low.
im not the original owner and i dont have any of the maintance papers for the car.
but i do have a friend that works at infiniti, he said to bring it to get a oil change and to ask the main tech guy why my engine was burning soo much oil.

i drive alot cuz of my job, and i have to be checking my oil level every week now. its getting kind of annoying. the car only has 50k miles

what do i tell them when they ask me for the oil records?
what if they dont want to replace my engine?
any help would be good.
pm me or call/text to give me advice on what to do 713-382-4591
thanks

Last edited by 1992_eg; 03-07-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just read this whole thread front to back.

Anyway I just started mt OC test today with Moble 1 5W-30. I have 47770 miles on my 2005. I'll post any updates.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by 1992_eg
ok i've had my 06 mt for a month or so, i did a oil change the next day i got it with mobile 1 full synthetic. after my first 2k miles the oil level was really low.
im not the original owner and i dont have any of the maintance papers for the car.
but i do have a friend that works at infiniti, he said to bring it to get a oil change and to ask the main tech guy why my engine was burning soo much oil.

i drive alot cuz of my job, and i have to be checking my oil level every week now. its getting kind of annoying. the car only has 50k miles

1. what do i tell them when they ask me for the oil records?
2. what if they dont want to replace my engine?
3. any help would be good.
pm me or call/text to give me advice on what to do 713-382-4591
thanks
1. Don't lie, if you don't have them . . . you don't have them.
2. You are 'putting the carriage before the horse'. Ask your dealer to start the OC test and go from there.
3. Don't be discouraged. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of consistancy among Infiniti dealers when it comes to OC. Some are mod freindly, some are not, some require maintenance papers while others don't. When working with the dealer have a positive attitude and don't be afraid to ask questions. Develop a good rapport with your srv. consultant. Be knowledgeable, read-up on the most current TSB for OC: https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...itb08-002c.pdf You can thank 'V35 Skyline GT' for that.

Darren
Oh, btw I just got my V2 a week ago

Name:  188.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  90.8 KB
Name:  193.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  93.3 KB

Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
For the desperately frustrated and SOL; I have an '07 Rev-Up long block with less than 1200 miles on it. I will sell, shipped to anywhere in Continental US, for $2850.
This was replacement motor for an rev-up OC unit (done by Ray Catena in NJ in Nov.2008). Upon re-assembly they neglected to insure the oil filter gasket was secure (apparently creased from being folded over and still installed). Long story short, car was driven for a short while with very small leak from around the oil filter, no oil level drop experienced and not detected until parked in Daddy's lake side garage near Mooresville NC... everyone freaked over quarter size dollop of oil on the nice bright clean garage floor, and Daddy was an attorney....
To avoid the ensuing sh#t storm Infiniti replaced this perfectly good motor at Lake Norman Infiniti (Cornelius NC). I bought from Lake Norman for use as a core for a built up motor, but now have some options as to a hardly used, but already built '03 VQ35DE (I don't have to mess with my ECU). I have very high confidence as to shape of motor, but can make no guarantees.
Under no pressure to sell, really look at it as a spare for my track activity. But if someone is in need, PM me.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthBayGSedan
You can thank 'V35 Skyline GT' for that.
Darren
Oh, btw I just got my V2 a week ago
Finally the long over due props for John! He paved the road over two years ago, here and on my350z' OC thread.

Congrats on the freshly built engine. Now follow our regimental break-in routine for proper seating and sealing of rings and pistons for engine longevity. V35 Skyline GT (John) can outline our routine. A used oil analysis is your best friend. Use Terry Dyson's services: www.dysonanalysis.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB