TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read alot of diffrent articles about breaking in, but there's nothig specific really.
I know this may be a bit off topic in this thread but a lot of people here have broken I thier engines so i figured might as well...

So ..What rpms should I range in to be considered "in the middle" of too easy and too hard for the first 200 miles I've been staying from 3-6k, not going to 6k very much, and engine braking a alot. Sound right?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldn't worry about the rpm as much as just not beating on it nonstop, i think you just dont want to maintain high revs too often and you don't want to stay at the same speed on the highway for a long period of time, idk its probably all a bunch of wives tales, just don't drive like a lunatic and it should be fine

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
I recommend Dyson Analysis for break-in tuning along with his UOA's. That's the Tribologist I've used from the get go with my replacement and prior. I trust Terry Dyson's method over 'anything' I've read on the Internet. I'm not at liberty to share his proprietary method publicly. Terry 'is' the sharpest tool in the shed imo.

www.dysonanalysis.com

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
07 coupe 6mt

Hi guys,

I am new to this thread, so pls. bear with me. Its 80 pages long and I read quite a bit of it but still.

Anyway, I purchase a 2nd 07 coupe 6mt recently with about 69,500 miles on it. And then I saw this thread, so I took it in for oil consumption test (as it was still under warranty) as I checked the oil myself and felt like it was consuming some oil. I paid for a oil change. They asked me to come back after 1000k and I did. And they said the oil only went down by 5mm which is normal. The mistake I made was that I let them take the car out of sight and then they came and gave the result.

I was suspicious so I did my own oil consumption test (by adding oil) and after 1k, it went down about 15mm (which is like .625 qt as the dipstick is 24mm which is 1 qt, so 15/24=0.625, right?).

Is this normal or bearable? I was thinking of going back and asking them again for the test but now it is out of warranty as there are 72,5xx miles on it. What would you guys suggest? Is there anything that I can say that will show that it is not my fault and I came before warranty expired? I do have fidelity extended warranty but I they have a clause stating that Oil consumption correction is not included. I am not sure if its related to efficiency (as in tune or something).

I already spent a fortune on this car and can't afford anymore!

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Ryuu; 06-28-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
And yeah, I took it Infiniti of South Atlanta, anyone has any experience with them?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ryuu
725xxxk miles on it.
wow how did you drive 725,000,000 miles, thats impressive

Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Lol, my bad. Its 72,5xx. If I had already driven it much then I wouldn't be complaining about oil consumption.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
does it have any sort of warranty on it? if not i would just keep an eye on the level, adding half a quart every 1000 miles isn't a huge deal. the factory powertrain warranty runs out at 70k so unless you have an extended warranty i guess you are out of luck

Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I have 3rd party extended warranty by fidelity warranty services, which I bought through infiniti dealer. It includes powertrain but there is an exclusion clause that says: "The correction of oil consumption....improving engine efficiency". I don't know if g's oil consumption is different from that since it is a manufacturing defect.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryuu
Hi guys,

I am new to this thread, so pls. bear with me. Its 80 pages long and I read quite a bit of it but still.

Anyway, I purchase a 2nd 07 coupe 6mt recently with about 69,500 miles on it. And then I saw this thread, so I took it in for oil consumption test (as it was still under warranty) as I checked the oil myself and felt like it was consuming some oil. I paid for a oil change. They asked me to come back after 1000k and I did. And they said the oil only went down by 5mm which is normal. The mistake I made was that I let them take the car out of sight and then they came and gave the result.

I was suspicious so I did my own oil consumption test (by adding oil) and after 1k, it went down about 15mm (which is like .625 qt as the dipstick is 24mm which is 1 qt, so 15/24=0.625, right?).

Is this normal or bearable? I was thinking of going back and asking them again for the test but now it is out of warranty as there are 72,5xx miles on it. What would you guys suggest? Is there anything that I can say that will show that it is not my fault and I came before warranty expired? I do have fidelity extended warranty but I they have a clause stating that Oil consumption correction is not included. I am not sure if its related to efficiency (as in tune or something).

I already spent a fortune on this car and can't afford anymore!

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you really want a new motor, shift at higher RPM's and engine brake. Leave it in 5th on the freeway. In other words, just rev it out more. It will surely eat more oil.

Dealer also had me the on my first check. I let them check it out of my sight knowing it was low. On my second check, I had him check it in front of me.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Its not just about getting a new motor. As far as I can understand from this thread, new motor is not very likely to solve the problem. Probably it will still have the oil consumption issue. And then I am out of factory warranty even though I took the car in before it expired.

Nevertheless, it pisses me off that a $20k+ car would have a problem as fundamental as oil consumption. You can't even drive a car like this on a long road trip without having to pull over, wait like 30 mins (so that damn dipstick would be of any use) and add more oil. I drove my civic from coast to coast and it didn't require a single drop of oil and without the need of any pitstop other than gas.

Infiniti should have issued a recall after solving this problem. Maybe I should have gone with a bimmer (although it looks crappy compared to my g) or stick with Honda.

Sorry for the rant....I will post an update after talking to dealer.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM
bmw's have more problems then nissan/infinitis, although i doubt burning oil would be one of them.

my rsx used about 1 qt every 1000 miles so honda's do it too, although my fiancee's 06 civic has never burned a drop

Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
My sixth gen civic si never burned a drop even at over 130k miles on it. And I drove it hard, reving up to 8k (its redline). Yeah, bimmer's would have problems too but probably not with their powertrain.

I guess my expectations from Infiniti, especially g35 (skyline) were very high. Let's what happens. Thanks for the advise!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 PM
yeah i expected more too

Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 for me I expected more since mine doesn't burn ANY oil!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB