TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Airbag light. Blinks twice in diagnostic mode.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6MT Sedan
Exclamation Airbag light. Blinks twice in diagnostic mode.

Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with a rather important issue in my new 05 6mt sedan. The airbag light won't go away and the cause isn't apparent.

Here's what I know:
-Steering wheel controls work properly and horn works in all places.
-Passenger occupancy sensor works.
-Seatbelt works as far as I know.
-There was a recall for this and the car did go to the dealership for it. The connections under the seat have the silly ''fix" on the connectors.
-I disconnected both yellow plugs, sprayed both connections with QD electronic cleaner, added dieletric grease, and clicked in and out several times.
-Tried clear code with ignition key method but light never goes away.

Referring to https://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/com..._diagnosis.php,

I'm certain this is the pattern it displays.

Could this still be the clockspring? Or the driver air bag in the steering wheel itself? What exactly is the driver air bag module and where is it located? What further testing should I do from here?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Driver airbag module is the center of the steering wheel, the part that's the horn that you push in the middle. Behind the horn pressure switch is the airbag module, there are screws on the back of the steering wheel you take off then the module just pulls forward and has the harnesses behind it.

The cheapest way to test if it's the airbag or the clock spring is to buy the NRG airbag resistor delete kit that's used with racing steering wheels since they aren't airbag equipped. Basically you plug in the resistor kit instead of the airbag and it tricks the car into thinking the airbag is there.

Costs about $15 or so for the kit, I think this car needs TWO resistors. If the blinking light goes away then you know the clock spring is good and the problem is actually with the airbag module.

The following users liked this post:
low_erd.g (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Or you can find another G35 in a local pick-n-pull and yank the airbag from it. Most places charge like $35 for an airbag. Or buy one from eBay for $50, if it's not the airbag you can also sell it back on eBay to someone else. Or craigslist, FB marketplace, etc.

low_erd.g (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 PM
6MT Sedan
This seems like a great lead. I will look for another airbag or do the resistor test and report back.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:34 PM
6MT Sedan
Thumbs up

Better yet, I bought some $5 2.2 Ohm resistors from Amazon, put them in place of my airbag, cleared the light, and the light didn't return. Ordering a different airbag soon after I post this update.

Thanks a lot!

cleric670 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 08:13 PM
6MT Sedan
Exclamation

Just when I thought it would be over, it's not. I got a different airbag from eBay, installed, cleared code... and the light is still there. Putting it diagnostic mode gives me the same blink code as before. After igniting into a mindless rage and slamming my door like a child, it hit me whether or not I could test the actual airbag itself. From a search, I found a DIY on how to test an airbag directly. Since I knew that my resistors (2.2 ohms) were able to clear the code, I tested them first as a baseline. Their results ended up on average as 2.8 ohms, while testing the new and old airbag both averaged around 3.1 ohms on both ends. Myself, someone who has a basic understanding so far of airbag systems, is not certain whether or not this a major difference. Should they both test the same? Is there an acceptable range of ohms for the system? Do I continue down the road, sending the airbag back and just hopefully buying one that solves my problem?

Old 11-23-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Infiniti G35 Sedan Automatic no mods
Have you done any further troubleshooting or fixed the issue?

I have the same airbag light flashing issue and would like to know the fix.

TIA

Old 11-24-2021, 07:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Have you done the self-diagnostic for the system to see what component is causing the airbag light to come on?