Navigation Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I spoke with my service. they said it's 1/2 hour of labor as estimated by Zenrin & Infiniti corporate. They can not do the update for about another month because they are waiting on cables and some instructions (a kit) from Zenrin. They told me that they will bill based on the 1/2 hour, so he estimated the whole update is about $250 (maps + labor).

I took a quick look and there is a lot of mid-west map updates, but for someone in the NorthEast like myself.... I don't really see any benefit other then shopping POI's???? am I missing something?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
Update is now available for purchase.

I wonder what the typical service fee will be from dealer for installation?

Infiniti Navigation System Map Data Book available here.
FYI... This has reverted back to the "Available in May" page. I checked from work and home just to make sure it wasn't a caching issue.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
They probably got flooded with calls and emails.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Especially since a lot of dealerships don't know what's going on yet... My dealership quoted 2 hours labor on the upgrade. That's a far cry from the 30 minutes Zenrin (per kring's post) says is average. I haven't called them back on that one yet, because the Zenrin page reverted. When it comes back I'll call up Zenrin and ask directly how long they believe it is supposed to take.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 AM
So wait a second.....we have to pay $190 AND we have to pay a service fee? WTF? And it only updates maps, no updates to fix any issues with bluetooth or anything else? Seriously?

At least make the audio player PAUSE when the phone rings or you make a call out over bluetooth.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
So wait a second.....we have to pay $190 AND we have to pay a service fee? WTF? And it only updates maps, no updates to fix any issues with bluetooth or anything else? Seriously?

At least make the audio player PAUSE when the phone rings or you make a call out over bluetooth.
One has nothing to do with the other. This is a map update for the NAV system, nothing else. Bash Infiniti / NNA over the other stuff. I'd start by calling Infiniti Consumer Affairs (get the 800# off of Infiniti's website).

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D

It DOES do that, or at least mine does.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
It DOES do that, or at least mine does.
Nope. It just cuts out. The track / song continues to progress (muted so you can't hear it) regardless of CD, IPOD, CF, or HDD source.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by adamr001
Nope. It just cuts out. The track / song continues to progress (muted so you can't hear it) regardless of CD, IPOD, CF, or HDD source.
Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood what Merlyn was saying.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Just something to think about as I have my scheduled nav update on 5/7..I was rereading the post about the 08 voice commands being 'downgraded' from the 07 voice commands.

Their nav version is 8.1 and ours (2007s and EARLY 2008s) is 8.0.

I have a sneaky feeling that if we bump ours up to 8.1, we are going to get downgraded voice commands. Of course Infiti and their nav service..Z something or whatever didn't have any idea of this.

For now, I have put my scheduled upgrade on hold.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Per the website there is no way to flash back either.

My question is about replacement units.... Will they have the upgraded NAV software on them? or what happens if my head unit needs to be replaced? Out the $250 since they need a key to install the new version? will the old key work more than once? on multiple cars?

If the replacements come with the new software, do those people get the upgrade for free if they have issues with their unit?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So wait, if we get this upgrade ('07s) will we lose our voice commands like the '08s? If so, I'm not all that desperate in getting this update...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
I am not entirely sure. It's my hypotheisis based on the fact that later build 08s with 8.1 software have restricted commands and 07s and early 08s have 8.0 and full commands.

The logical side of me says voice commands are hardware and navigation maps are software so the commands shouldn't be affected by an upgrade in software, but the coincidence on my very TINY sample of people is enough to make me question it.

I talked to a very helpful person at Infiniti consumer affairs who is birddogging this for us and he said he would call me today or next business day with a definitive answer.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by mthowell
I am not entirely sure. It's my hypotheisis based on the fact that later build 08s with 8.1 software have restricted commands and 07s and early 08s have 8.0 and full commands.

<snip>

I talked to a very helpful person at Infiniti consumer affairs who is birddogging this for us and he said he would call me today or next business day with a definitive answer.
This too was one of my concerns. I do not want the abridged voice commands, however, I was under the impression that this is strictly a map update. However, I don't have any official word, please keep us updated.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I like the older version. I think its funny to drive on the mixing bowl (those not familar with the DC/Northern VA area, the mixing bowl is where the Capital Beltway, I-95, and I-395 all intersect...construction was 100% completed in May 2006...only took like 10 years) and have the map showing that my car is just mindlessly floating.

I'd even be more inclined to keep it if it listed the road name as simply "WTF?! I think you're airborn right now."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Updates