Navigation Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Updates: UPDATE

Hi,

I have come across some errors and ommisions in the navaigation system and was wondering if anyone has any intel on how/when updates will be handled for the hardrive based system. I have filled out the pages on the Zenrin site.

I am hoping that since a DVD dosen't need to be pressed, updates can be offered often. I wouldn't mind subscribing for a year if they were constant updates (CF card??)

Thanks
Ron

Last edited by ronbo; 01-03-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from their FAQ:

"How often is the mapping software updated? How can I find out about updates?
The mapping software is updated annually. Check our website or contact our Customer Support Center for more information."

Old 01-03-2007, 04:05 PM
that would be pretty slick. a lot better than waiting for it in the mail.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
below is the answer I received from Zenrin. I responded with the suggestion of quarterly updates based on a subscription model. Either downloaded from the web and put on CF cards or maybe they send out CF cards with updates to the subscribers.

If anyone else likes the subscription/frequent updates my suggestions would be to email them at

admin@zenrin.com

and let them know you would like frequent updates as well. Maybe if they see a lot of interest on this, it will motivate them to act.
Thanks
Ron

Dear Customer,

Your vehicle is the only model that has the build in hard drive based navigation system. At the moment the data in the system is current. The next update is scheduled to be released sometime end of this year. As of right now, we are working on the process of how one would update the hard drive based system. Please contact around November of this year as we should have information on the updating process.

Thank you

Last edited by ronbo; 01-03-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
More than likely they will have the updates for download on their website. I can only assume that once you've paid for the update via secure (SSL) website, you'll be able to download it and transfer it to your CF. Updating it via CF card would make sense given that the updates to the Music Box are done via CF card. Of course this is just my speculation.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
More than likely they will have the updates for download on their website. I can only assume that once you've paid for the update via secure (SSL) website, you'll be able to download it and transfer it to your CF. Updating it via CF card would make sense given that the updates to the Music Box are done via CF card. Of course this is just my speculation.
Can you please elaborate on the music box updates. I am not sure what you mean. My impression was that you can only load music into music box via audio cd.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ashneyder
Can you please elaborate on the music box updates. I am not sure what you mean. My impression was that you can only load music into music box via audio cd.
Yes, you are correct that you can only record music to the Music Box via in-dash CD player. The music box updates that I was referring to was for transferring missing music titles from the CF card to the Music box.

http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/

Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Navteq and Teleatlas are the 2 biggest map makers for GPS/Nav systems. As far as I know, their maps pretty much have detailed maps for the entire U.S. I have a Garmin nuvi 350, which covers Canada and the U.S. in detail.

In a small Nav booklet that came with my car, as well as Zenrin's web site ( http://www.zenrin.com/infiniti/DVD7/ ), they have a picture of the US indicating the types of coverages their map provides. It seems that large parts of the U.S. do not include door to door navigation instructions. So far, I haven't actually had problems, since the areas where I've driven (in the few days I've had my G35x) happen to be areas that are covered by Zenrin's maps (including the small town where I live in upstate NY).

Who makes Zenrin's maps? I read somewhere that Zenrin's maps are from Navigation Technologies. Is this the same as Navteq or a different company?
Why don't their maps contain detailed roads for the entire U.S.? My Garmin nuvi 350 has 2GB internal memory, and it covers all of North America. Not sure why they just didn't use a Navteq or Teleatlas map.

Has anyone had any problems not getting door to door navigation directions from the Nav?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by randman
Has anyone had any problems not getting door to door navigation directions from the Nav?
Only because Calgary's roads are changing all the time. For example they moved the road that connects to my community, so my nav just keeps telling me to make a legal u turn when possible trying to direct me to a road that has been closed for over a month.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Zenrin's web site ( http://www.zenrin.com/infiniti/DVD7/ ) says that they support detailed door-to-door information for Calgary. However, if you look at the map in the web site, you can see that many parts of North America don't have detailed door-to-door coverage.

The following is an excerpt of a technical support issue I submitted to Zenrin:

========

I have a 2007 Infiniti G35x with Nav. I was quite surprised to find out that the Nav's maps do not contain detailed door-to-door coverage of the entire U.S. I got spoiled by the fact that my much cheaper Garmin nuvi 350 (with Navteq maps) with 2GB internal memory, provides detailed coverage for the entire North America, but the much more expensive Nav that came with my Infiniti G35x (and stored on a larger hard disk) does not have detailed coverage of the entire U.S.

Why doesn't Zenrin provide detailed coverage for the entire U.S.? I have gotten spoiled by my old Garmin, and I go to new places all the time without even looking at a map ahead of time. With the Zenrin Nav, I'm more nervous since I don't know if it will have coverage for where I might be going to.

At a minimum, as part of a future update, how about at least providing detailed coverage for the following towns (which I go to occassionally and need Nav information for):

< I listed some towns in upstate NY area>

But, I would prefer detailed coverage for the entire U.S. (or at least the entire North Eastern U.S.). That way, I can be 100% confident that wherever I might go, the Zenrin map will have the information and I don't have to bring along paper directions or my old Garmin GPS.

=============

Maybe if enough folks complain, they would provide detailed coverage for all of North America. I don't understand why they don't just use the entire Navteq or Teleatlas map, both of which provide detailed coverage, as far as I know.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Randman, are the towns that you want coverage in not on that mile long list for New York? I looked at the list for Alberta and found that the list included every town I could possibly want to go to, even some that are so small even an blind mute couldn't get lost

I just wish that there were more freqent updates available for download at an affordable price.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes, the towns aren't in the list for New York. They are small towns in upstate NY. This information is based on the web site. I haven't yet tried entering addresses of those towns in the Nav itself.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Blah, what do they have against the midwest?? My little handheld Garmin Nuvi has an entire map of the whole country, including turn-by-turn directions to small towns, and it cost a third of what I am paying for my navi system. On that Zenrin map, they show only major cities in the whole middle of the country.

--Brendan--

Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I suggest that folks start entering requests in Zenrin's web site to request that they provide detailed coverage for the entire country. Maybe that will put pressure into providing more coverage in their next upgrade.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi randman,

What part of upstate are you from? You can PM me if you like...I am originally from upstate too....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Updates