Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
We've talked about installing more modules, but we havn't got a firm date set yet. He lives about an hour away, so its not super convenient.
HA! I'm 800 miles away, so tell him to get on the ball.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question...will this affect the service reminder notifications? or any other pop-ups? specifically...will it automatically click ok on them?
really excited about this mod. please let me know more details when available...how to install...cost..etc....

Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Im interested in the module. I'd like to see the detailed install directions but would probably put down some $ if they were not too bad.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by stanfna
quick question...will this affect the service reminder notifications? or any other pop-ups? specifically...will it automatically click ok on them?
really excited about this mod. please let me know more details when available...how to install...cost..etc....
If you are talking about the reminders on the amber colored screen between your tach and speedo, no, it does not effect it at all. They are 2 totally different systems. I left the bypass on for the 1 hour trip home last night, my MPG and average MPH updated as normal.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
HA! I'm 800 miles away, so tell him to get on the ball.
It will be shortly after the Holidays. Working 70 hours a week along with a 4 year old and a demanding wife makes my car a bit of a low priority. Sorry.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are a few pics, had a busy night and didn't get much done.

The first picture is of the board that the 'OK' button is on. This is with the wires soldered to it (there is one red and one black wire added to the board)

Here is a close up of the red wire and its location:

Here is a close up of the black wire and its location:

You can see that there is plenty of space to solder, and plenty of space between the mounting legs, so messing this up would be really hard.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll take 2 units. Let me know if you want all the $$ or a partial deposite. Either way is fine.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned
So far we haven't had near enough interest to seriously consider building these. I know it has only been a few days, so maybe some more people will chime in.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I'd be in, but I am inept with a soldering iron. any solution that requires an iron is a no go for me.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by mbonus
I'd be in, but I am inept with a soldering iron. any solution that requires an iron is a no go for me.
Yeah... I can do all kinds of ****, but soldering is my kryptonite.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned
Soldering really isn't that hard, especially if you have a nice iron. If you buy a $5 walmart special it may be a bit more difficult. If you buy a low end Weller or something like that, you'll be fine.

The trick to this is to "tin" the wires first. "Tinning" is where you heat the wire up and then apply solder to it, until it is completely saturated with soldere. You don't want to blob it on, you want just enough solder to cover all the exposed wire. Then, you add a small amount of solder to the lead on the circuit board. Finally, while heating the lead on the circuit board you touch the tinned wire to the lead on the board and they melt together. If you use too much solder it will blob up and make a mess, so only use a little.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin, I'm very close to being in, just want to see the directions and details.

On the soldering, I don't mind, but for others: is it possible to get a plug that sits in between the wire harness and the connector that you are soldering? Pr possibly use those wire crimps that go through the plastic jacket and make it so the bypass occurs on the cable instead of on the board? and that way there's no soldering just a squeeze of some pliers.

One last thing, not sure if it's possible but can you build the other modules on as well and make this an all-in-one deal (sunroof, windows, coffee maker, etc)

Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Kevin,

Count me in. I sent you a PM last night.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by kring
is it possible to get a plug that sits in between the wire harness and the connector that you are soldering? Pr possibly use those wire crimps that go through the plastic jacket and make it so the bypass occurs on the cable instead of on the board?

Kevin,

If I remember right, that connector goes to that carboard, plastic like ribbon connection isn't it??

If that's the case, I don't think a crimp on would work.....

Old 12-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by timmay77
Kevin,

If I remember right, that connector goes to that carboard, plastic like ribbon connection isn't it??

If that's the case, I don't think a crimp on would work.....
Well... it makes sense though. You have 2 wires that you're hooking up to, but instead of hitting the wire directly you're going to the lead on the PCB itself.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatically process the Navi OK screen